GTR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been reading alot bout the T04z and similar turbos and im considering going the single route.

My thinking behind it is if there isnt much difference between the two Lag wise then maybe with my spec i might gain more top end.

below is the spec of the engine, hopefully you guys can give me a few pointers on whether it would be a good idea or not!

Also if i was to do this, what kind of money would i get for a 4000mile old 2530 turbo kit including manifolds, downpipe, induction, wastegates, etc.

Spec:

RB26 2600cc engine
1mm oversize N1 Pistons
N1 Piston Rings
Tomei 87 metal Head Gasket 1.2mm
HKS Bronze Valve Guides
Nismo Conrods
Nismo Lightened and balanced crankshaft
Tomei 260 degree Cams
Tomei adjustable pulleys
Nismo uprated timing belt
Tomei 600cc injectors
Tomei Fuel pressure regulator
Tomei Twin fuel 260 l/hr fuel pumps and full braided hoses
N1 water pump
65 degree C thermostat
Twin large capacity alloy radiator
M’s Power Induction Kits
5Zigen Induction Hard pipe kit
RS-R equal length downpipes
Fujitsubo Stainless Steel Exhaust system
HKS oil cooler
Blitz Front Mount intercooler
HKS 2530 Turbos
HKS Wastegates with dump pipe
HKS manifolds
Oil catch tank and lines
Iridium spark plugs
No AFM’s
HKS F-Con V Pro
Greddy boost controller

any advise much appreciated.

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,872 Posts
After going from twins(STD size) to a T51r, I'd probably have gone for your setup. There is a lot to be said for 2530 but really its down to how you want the car to feel. I'd suggest you get a drive in a T04 and get a direct comparison.

My thinking is your car is really really nice and very well balanced, so

LEAVE IT ALONE

You just can't help tinkering can you.

Seriously dude, your cars too good to meddle with.

·
Registered
426 Posts
You might find your injectors are a little stretched with a T04Z. Maybe increasing to 720's would be a good idea...after all you have the ECU to cope ;) :D

Other than that can't see a major hurdle. but do you want response or power....that's the question.

A smaller turbo that can get up and running fast will give you a really wide torque band which will make B road driving more fun....bigger turbo's are great for a straight line but scare the crap out of you when they come onsong through twisties.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im just thinking at the mo, its going into abbey in next couple of weeks to have a remap as it hasnt had a propoer one over here yet and have 740cc injectors fitted so im hoping for some decent figures.

if that goes well ill leave it my only thought was with my engine spec, is it capable of more with bigger turbo(s)?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
they are very responsive and really pull all the way up to 8500rpm (still havent hit limiter though), without ever seeming to lose boost, or power.

im hoping after a real good mapping session at Abbey it will be even better!

·
Registered
510 Posts
I agree - you will probably run out of fuel with 720cc injecters running a to4z

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I would say get Abbey to sort the map on your current setup.
Then if you're still not happy, consider changing - otherwise leave it.

The T04Z is perfect for my car (2.8, 1000cc injector etc) which was built from scratch, but I don't know if you'll see a difference worth the outlay if your 2530s are setup well in the first place.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Sounds like a pretty big outlay for potentially a small *if any* gain!
People with these setups, would it be too hard to post your dyno graphs so we can compare such setup's?
It would be interesting to see how much difference there is between the two.

·
Banned
7,219 Posts
Seeing as 2530s are good for more power than youve got, and your car is so nicely balanced and more than fast enough, youd be daft to change it.

Its a 2530 engine with decent low down power, and thats pretty rare, so stuff it, stick with it.

If you gonna go for a big single job, flog your motor for a tidy price and start over and spec it to suit from the start.

Or dont be so daft as your car is a lovely complete package.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
25/30 Vs T04Z

Can't post my dyno sheet but just for an idea of mid range power the T04Z makes:-
370 bhp @ the hubs/ 4000rpm
450 bhp @ the hubs/ 4500rpm
500 bhp @ the hubs/ 5000rpm

Just for a comparison, not like for like though, the same setup with T88 made:-
170 bhp @ the hubs/ 4000rpm
225 bhp @ the hubs/ 4500rpm
350 bhp @ the hubs/ 5000rpm

Those are all without cheating gas.

Luffy
As the others said, leave it alone.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
its going to abbey as soon as i can get it booked in and then i will probably leave it like that for a while and realy make the most of the twin setup on the track!

thanks for comments guys.

On another note, drivetrain wise im only running below setup:

Limited Slip Diff
Nismo uprated engine and gearbox mounts
ORC twin plate clutch
ORC lightweight flywheel
Nismo uprated clutch pivot
C’s short shift

Would i need to upgrade to a Triple or can the twin cope, id rather not upgreade or if i did it would be to one of the ATS carbon ones. im not going to do a lot of drag only a couple of times to see what it can do then most of the work will be on track.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
lol - you do the same thing as me, every other week you have a different idea for the car.

Hmmm I think I'll sell it

no I think I'll go for a remap

no no I think I'll just leave it be

erm maybe I'll swap the N1s for a single

no I think I'll leave it be

:D

·
Following EJH#25
6,837 Posts
My dyno results.....

Luffy, T04Z and 2.8 using F-Con Pro. AEM going in now so should get a slightly better result soon.

Really nice to drive too.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Luffy, you got a realy nice spec. Im hoping for something similar but not uprating the crank and rods.
Im told i will see over 600bhp at around 1.4/1.5bar. You should certainly see the right side of 600 with power comming in around 4500rpm and still goin strong at 8500rpm.
I cant realy see any point of spending the extra cash to go down the single route.
Post up your graph and figures when you have it mapped pls.

Baz

·
Registered
465 Posts
I believe your twin ORC clutch is fine. Depends on what series it is. I believe they start at 550 bhp and up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts