GTR Forum banner

285/35 MPSS "square" set up w/ TSW Nurburgring wheels

18K views 57 replies 24 participants last post by  Henry 145 
#1 ·
Right, finally got the 285/35 fronts fitted and went for the TSW Nurburgrings Iain's demonstrator has sported for a while now.

Even my fairly tame drive home scrubbing in the new tyres was a complete revelation. The 285s up front genuinely feel like a completely different make and model of tyre to the previous 255/40s.
No "will it, won't it?" uncertainty as I turned into corners, just a solid, planted front end which is exactly what I was looking for.

The fact that the front TSWs (10" wide with a 40mm offset) are a half inch wider and give a wider track than the stock front wheel, definitely helps with front end stability and turn-in too.

The rear TSWs have a similar offset (and identical width) to the stock rear wheel, so in comparison could do with a 15mm spacer to match the front stance. I am currently looking into sourcing some; can anyone help? Moff shop said they had none in stock.

I love the matte gunmetal finish. It perfectly complements the whole Stealth Zilla theme.
The final touch I added was some GT-R centre cap stickers, that cost a whole £20 or so from ebay! Very good quality, thick laminated plastic over foil, I think they set off the wheels perfectly.

All in all, very pleased. Fantastic service from Iain and his crew as usual and as it actually didn't rain yesterday, I thoroughly enjoyed the drive there and back.

Right, just need to pin down that Richard Meaden to get him to set a "before" laptime at Bedford prior to fitting Iain's suspension and doing an "after" time...

See less See more
#6 ·
If I went to 295 (or maybe 305 in future), would there be any risk of rubbing under hard track cornering with 20mm spacers?

I'm more interested in keeping the handling good than looks, but there is now a slight mismatch in stance front to rear as the fronts are so perfect.

#9 ·
Cheers Mike, great to meet you too! And thanks MrB, I've been looking at Funky Power's website.
I think I will leave it to Iain to source/fabricate the correct spacers, as he says that the Eibach ones he stocks don't fit the TSWs because they have a flat back, whereas the Nissan OEM wheels have indents on the rear face.

So as he sells (and uses) the TSWs, he is best placed to source or modify spacers to fit those particular wheels.

When you see the quality of these wheels, it does make others seem grossly overpriced. Unlike a lot of the fancier three piece wheels, the rotary forged TSWs are a tad lighter than the Nissan Rays OEMs, and they allow the correct positioning of the TPMS sensors.
I had a nightmare with custom race wheels for my Z06 when the TPMS sensors would continually break due to not being supported properly inside the wheel.

One other thing about fitting the new wheels, the dreaded clicking sound that was getting really annoying on my car has completely disappeared! Makes the wheels worth buying for that alone. :chuckle:

#13 ·
David, those wheels look great on stealth zilla :thumbsup: Perfect match!

I wonder if they come in black?

Can only see them in gunmetal, matte gunmetal and matte bronze on the litcho website. £364+ vat a corner ain't a bad price either for lightweight forged wheels.

#15 ·
Cheers for the comments everyone! :thumbsup:

Took the car out for its first twisty road test since fitting the new wheels and tyres and I have to say the grip and balance is almost scary!
Front end is really strong now. Maybe not as superglue sticky as the 285 R888s I use to run, but much better than the Dunlops or Bridgestones and light years better than the 255/40 MPSS.

As I said before, it really is like they are a completely different make and model of tyre, not merely a 30mm wider version of the same tyre.

Thankfully the balance is now perfectly neutral rather than understeery. The rear 285s still have no problem coping with the higher g the fronts now allow the car to enter a corner at.

Peterpeter, I will ask the Editor at evo to update the GT-R's laptime and of course, soon there will be two laptimes (Before and After Litchfield suspension kit fitment) from Stealth Zilla in there too, although not in the Knowledge section as it is a modified car.

#17 ·
As SamboGroove said on the 1st page, they retail at £364+ VAT each.
A fraction of the flashier (but often heavier) 3 piece wheels.

And as I said, the main reason I agreed to get them is that the TPMS sensors fit perfectly inside them, which is not necessarily the case with all aftermarket wheels.

#19 ·
#33 · (Edited)
All seems a bit too good to be true (especially as I am now looking after scrubbing my 10K RE070s yesterday at Brunters) - £1,000 a set for GTR tyres...what is the catch ;-)

David so I need the: MICHELIN PILOT SUPERSPORT - 285/35R20 (104Y) XL TL all round from Camskill (£250 each!!) to match yours and these will fit the stock wheels just fine?

Does this setup not make it potentially prone to more oversteer as more front end grip (not like we need it) and less rubber (relatively fom OE) than OEM? I may be talking rubbish of course (no comments ;-)

Also what 'tyre gel' do you reccomend for TPMS safet for my inevitable first puncture of my life after fitting none run flats!

#34 ·

Does this setup not make it potentially prone to more oversteer as more front end grip (not like we need it) and less rubber (relatively fom OE) than OEM? I may be talking rubbish of course (no comments ;-)
I don't know about rubbish, I don't even understand WTF you're saying! :chuckle:

285/35 is, as you should know, the same spec as the OEM rear tyre. For some reason, Michelin's 255/40 (stock front size) just doesn't have the same footprint as the nominally same sized Dunlops/Bridgestones and simply doesn't have the same level of grip as them either.

Fitting 285s to the front too, completely cures that and the car is transformed from being understeery to neutral. Of course that does mean oversteer is easier to achieve should you choose to provoke it, but it is by no means unstable.

As for puncture repair, buy a Continental Conti Comfort Kit that uses a latex based liquid and compressor and is completely TPMS friendly.

#36 ·
Wow..MPSS is definitely cheaper than what I got quoted for Dunlops (£540 for front)...

I can change all four for the cost of changing fronts at a dealership! Would prefer to stick 2 dunlops at the front but I can't find them anywhere else :(

#42 ·
I'm running 285/35 Square on OEM rims and they fit perfectly.

Ride comfort and noise is noticeably better.

I've not found that the balance of the car is upset in any way. There is definitely more grip from the rears in comparison to the worn Dunlops they replaced, and certainly equal to how I remember the Dunlops when they were fresh.

Front end is very planted....though in fairness it was also very planted with the Dunlops.

For every day use I would certainly recommend these tyres. I'll let others comment as to how they perform on the track.

Ben.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.