GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I've spent the last hour trawling through thread after thread to see what most of you recommend :eek:
I was all set to buy the square set up of MPSS tonight based on some threads I read a while back, but Litcho's say they don't recommend this setup, and it seems that a lot of you have gone for their recommended 275/305 setup.
I still read a lot of you like the square setup though :runaway:
Basically the car will be used for the road for 99.99% of its use, so that may affect the choice as I think the 275/305 setup is better for the track.
Can you let me know what would be best to go for please guys so I can gets these ordered and fitted ASAP.
Cheers :bowdown1:

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
I run the square setup.... I have not tried the 275/305 staggered setup, but will go staggered for track.

Squared is supposed to give better turn-in, but the backend is a little more twitchy
Staggered is the other way around, more stable at the back, slightly harder to turn in

·
Registered
760 Posts
I went square because I dont do much track work. On the road I suspect you would be hard placed to notice much difference. Square has the added benefit that supply is normally more easy to come by (there have been times when people have posted in a panic trying to get hold of the 275 or 305). Also, if you buy 5, you have a spare sat there in case you get a puncture. To do the same with staggered, you'd need to buy one of each.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I drive mainly on the road and have the 275/305 setup on a CBA with 2011 suspension.
I can only compare to run flats which is a staggered setup, but I find the increased grip in all except warm, dry smooth roads (where the factory tyres are also very good) means less understeer and more rear traction.

If you want ultimate turn in on the track then the Dunlop run flats or R888's are your best bet, otherwise I wouldn't hesitate to go for 275/305 as it is superior in almost all situations on the road.

Protegimus

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
I drive mainly on the road and have the 275/305 setup on a CBA with 2011 suspension.
I can only compare to run flats which is a staggered setup, but I find the increased grip in all except warm, dry smooth roads (where the factory tyres are also very good) means less understeer and more rear traction.

If you want ultimate turn in on the track then the Dunlop run flats or R888's are your best bet, otherwise I wouldn't hesitate to go for 275/305 as it is superior in almost all situations on the road.

Protegimus
How so?

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I've been thinking of 285/335 for the summer. The Yanks seem to love it.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Cause up North, it's cold and wet most of the time and the roads are in shit state. MPSS compound and compliance gives more grip (massive improvement in wet/cold), doesn't tramline and pull the car all over the road, plus they wear better; that is in comparison to Bridgestone and Dunlop runflats as I mentioned.

I've also driven with Bridgestone and MPSS on the Millbrook circuits and other than a slight loss in precision I didn't think the MPSS really gave much away, albeit the Dunlops and R888's are proven to be quicker for dry track work.

Protegimus

·
Registered
2,487 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
My thought process is that whilst the larger staggered set up would be more planted and ultimatly faster, by going square, the car will be slightly less stable when pushed, particularly the rear end and would require more input from the driver which I interpret (perhaps incorrectly) as increasing engagement levels and lowering the limits of the car which makes it a better road prospect in terms of fun and every day usability.

That said, this is based on what I have read on here combined with my own logic, rather than from first hand experience. The reality could be very different. Particularly if its too hard to put the power down in the wet.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Cause up North, it's cold and wet most of the time and the roads are in shit state. MPSS compound and compliance gives more grip (massive improvement in wet/cold), doesn't tramline and pull the car all over the road, plus they wear better; that is in comparison to Bridgestone and Dunlop runflats as I mentioned.

I've also driven with Bridgestone and MPSS on the Millbrook circuits and other than a slight loss in precision I didn't think the MPSS really gave much away, albeit the Dunlops and R888's are proven to be quicker for dry track work.

Protegimus
I understand why someone would chose the MPSS or R888s over other tyres, but the was more aimed at the staggered VS squared setup statement.

My thought process is that whilst the larger staggered set up would be more planted and ultimatly faster, by going square, the car will be slightly less stable when pushed, particularly the rear end and would require more input from the driver which I interpret (perhaps incorrectly) as increasing engagement levels and lowering the limits of the car which makes it a better road prospect in terms of fun and every day usability.

That said, this is based on what I have read on here combined with my own logic, rather than from first hand experience. The reality could be very different. Particularly if its too hard to put the power down in the wet.
How can you say the staggered setup would be faster? Have a read on the US forum.... Last time I looked, the high quality drivers preferred the squared setup and ultimately went faster, the less experienced drivers preferred the staggered setup.

Its makes no sense why I went square, because I am crap.... :runaway:

·
Registered
754 Posts
I was pretty clear I was referring only to the 275/305 setup in comparison to the factory tyres. I haven't driven a 285 square setup, but the OP said he drives 99.99% on the road and certainly from my experience 275/305 is very good there.
I'm not convinced by the 'high quality drivers' line, sounds like a bit of pub talk don't you think? I'm pretty sure the fastest track performances will come from R888's.

Protegimus

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
I was pretty clear I was referring only to the 275/305 setup in comparison to the factory tyres. I haven't driven a 285 square setup, but the OP said he drives 99.99% on the road and certainly from my experience 275/305 is very good there.
I'm not convinced by the 'high quality drivers' line, sounds like a bit of pub talk don't you think? I'm pretty sure the fastest track performances will come from R888's.

Protegimus
I would seriously doubt its "pub talk". Yes, you stated that it was in comparison to stock, but you also stated:-
Which is fine if you are just comparing the stock dunlops to the MPSS tyres, but you are bundling in the staggered VS squared as well.

Have a read.... there are other examples (search...):-
Track setup-285 squared vs 285/315 - Suspension & Tires - GT-R Life

What does r888s have to do with it? You can run a squared or staggered setup with them as well. You seem to be confusing the point which is staggered VS squared, not tyre VS tyre. This comes down to the driver and and what they want from the car....

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
GrahamC and Protegimus, thank you for you invaluable input on this thread and your experiences to some extent also.
Also, thanks to all you other guys who have commented.
There's clearly pros and cons for each setup and I suppose it very much comes down to how and where you drive the car to get the best out of each setup and make that purchase worthwhile. It's a valid point about the square setup and having another tyre of the same as a spare which makes things easy too.
I wouldn't class myself as a 'highly skilled driver' by any means, but have completed various advanced driving courses/skills through my job, and a track day or two in the past, but I don't think either of the setups would necessarily help or hinder me and obviously it's each to their own.
I finally plumped for the square setup purely as I got a good deal at just under a grand fully fitted and these seemed to be easier to get hold of than the staggered setup.
Maybe next time round I will try staggered and then be able to compare for myself.
One thing that was mentioned by Litcho's when they commented on the square not being their prefered, was the load ratings apparently being low, but I've managed to get 104Y's so hopefully this will help with more tyre strength, whereas I believe the 275 are 102Y and the the 305 are 103Y.
If I remember, I'll report back on my personal findings when I've driven a few miles on them. Got a run up to Litcho's for a service on 27th jan so it's a 250 mile round trip and should give me a good idea.
Cheers guys

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
GrahamC and Protegimus, thank you for you invaluable input on this thread and your experiences to some extent also.
Also, thanks to all you other guys who have commented.
There's clearly pros and cons for each setup and I suppose it very much comes down to how and where you drive the car to get the best out of each setup and make that purchase worthwhile. It's a valid point about the square setup and having another tyre of the same as a spare which makes things easy too.
I wouldn't class myself as a 'highly skilled driver' by any means, but have completed various advanced driving courses/skills through my job, and a track day or two in the past, but I don't think either of the setups would necessarily help or hinder me and obviously it's each to their own.
I finally plumped for the square setup purely as I got a good deal at just under a grand fully fitted and these seemed to be easier to get hold of than the staggered setup.
Maybe next time round I will try staggered and then be able to compare for myself.
One thing that was mentioned by Litcho's when they commented on the square not being their prefered, was the load ratings apparently being low, but I've managed to get 104Y's so hopefully this will help with more tyre strength, whereas I believe the 275 are 102Y and the the 305 are 103Y.
If I remember, I'll report back on my personal findings when I've driven a few miles on them. Got a run up to Litcho's for a service on 27th jan so it's a 250 mile round trip and should give me a good idea.
Cheers guys
Exactly.... I was going to suggest reading on GTRLife as there are a load more threads on there about this topic, but you have already bought.....

I must admit, I did find the square setup a little twitchy on track, but never had an issue on the road. I will be getting some track wheels and I am going to try a staggered set of R888s on those wheels, which should be interesting.

Let us know how you get on with them and what your thoughts are.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Well, the MPSS has a narrower tread from what I'm told. 335 MPSS = 315 Toyo.

You should be ok.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hi,

Of the combinations that I have tested I've found (285/295) to be the best in terms of on road comfort and over all performance. Also, this set resulted in the fastest lap times.

I have tested the following combinations, All of which were Michelin Pilot SuperSports

255/285
275/305
285/285
285/295

Im also planning to test:

295/295
295/335

Expect a full write up on all of this once the data has been pulled together properly and all combinations tested.

Cheers

Jonny

1 - 20 of 22 Posts