GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built my engine to run 9000rpm, my rev limiters kick in at same, yet I find I rarely venture over 8200rpm, and usually shift around 7900rpm when really giving her beans.

I've come to realize that it's not fear of blowing the engine, but simply that the turbos have run out of steam and pushing it further yields nothing.

I'm wondering, what other 2860-5 turbo setups are pulling, and if they still pull like a freight train after 8000rpm? Maybe my map isn't good - I rescaled it so that the 20th cell is 8500rpm, or I've got the boost controller set too high - perhaps if the boost locks in at 1.6 bar it'll pull further, instead of the 1.9bar power spike I've got it set at.

Now I'm wondering what the peak boost setting was on the 2530-turboed Mines R34 "ultimate response" car?

Not that I'm unhappy with the car - she's got her mapped so dialed in, it's very fast again. Tonight, we were pottering at 50mph stuck between a bus and a lorry - I was at 4000rpm and just floored it. You know that scene in Star Wars when the Millenium Falcon shoots out of the exploding Death Star. Yeah - peripheral vision blurred, out of that clot of traffic into the clear in a blink, brake from 90mph down to 60 and settle into a cruise. Awesome stuff, this car.

·
Registered
411 Posts
theres an 11 page long thread full of dynos over on skylinesaustralia, most of them 2860/2530s. by when do you get max boost?

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm well into it by 4000rpm, hard to keep track as it's happing so quickly but I'm past 1.5bar by 5000rpm and then pegging 1.9bars is definitely by 5500rpm. Depends on the gear of course and if I've kept the turbos on boil, but regardless of gear the engine wants to upshift at 8000rpm.

can you link me to that thread? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Well looking at my dyno sheet, 7000rpm is the peak (8000rpm is my rev limit) Best power for me is between 5000 and 7000, but is boosting hard by 3000.

I've got one of these coming that should make it nice and easy for me to keep it on the boil on track days.

·
Registered
798 Posts
hey kismet..im running 1.4kgs with m y -5s..iv got full boost at 3800ish and it pulls really hard to 8k..the limiter is at 8300 but i usually change around 8k when gunning it.My peak power is at 7900ish...

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey kismet..im running 1.4kgs with m y -5s..iv got full boost at 3800ish and it pulls really hard to 8k..the limiter is at 8300 but i usually change around 8k when gunning it.My peak power is at 7900ish...
that sounds about on par with what I've been seeing - shifting at 8200rpm may be the max performance one will see out of these turbos. Nothing faster than stock in terms of rpm...but a LOT more power on the way there!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hi kismetcapitan
How much power are you running, whit that boost..
I think 1,9 bar is pretty much on 2860..
I run 1,4 bar 615 bhp and 622 nm. on my 2530 from 3600rpm. and up to 9400rpm where my rev limiter kicks in,
My peak is at 7900rpm but is it still producing 582 bhp at 9400rpm
Tried to raise the boost to 1,55 bar but the increase was only 2 bhp and 8nm.
There is simply no more power in them..

·
Registered
818 Posts
1.9 is a bit high toby for those turbos.... 1.6 is best 1.7 absolute max for good efficiency.. after that your into low efficiency (have a look at the compressor map at garret) and your heating the air to much... Mind you if you get a bigger intercooleer as i suggest it may offset the heating factor a bit..:-D

but im sure the turbos wont like spinning up at 1.9bar for years on end....

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know...but there is a VERY noticeable gain in power from 1.7 to 1.9 bars. Once I "felt the power" of 1.9, it's too hard to go back to the milder hit of 1.7 bars.

I don't think my turbos will last 20,000 miles - maybe if I'm lucky. But compare the price to a couple year's worth of crack cocaine...I'm making out WAY ahead financially not to mention my health!! :D

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I'll be very very suprised if your making more power at 1.9 over 1.7 toby..

More torque yes which makes the car feel faster, but top end power?

Rob

·
Registered
854 Posts
this may be completely wrong but dont a lot of high power cars hit peak boost to create torque as early as possible and then reduce boost at high revs to keep the turbos closer to maximum efficiency.

i suppose it would depend on how the engine was set up etc

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
How odd, my car is making power all the way to the rev limiter 8400 and does not drop off at all .... an thats on 1.5 bar ...it would make more power if I revved it higher ...
But then, what would I know ...
:p

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Maybe they are std cams, but what they are really is 300duration 12mm lift lol

Rob

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll be very very suprised if your making more power at 1.9 over 1.7 toby..

More torque yes which makes the car feel faster, but top end power?

Rob
probably a torque boost, cause it's not more power per se, but a bigger "hit" when boost comes in. And you know I'm ALL about the hit! :smokin:

I would love to have control where I could touch 1.9 bar around 5000rpm, then pull it back to 1.7 or 1.6...the simpleminded Power FC can't do this, it just self-learns to reach boost slower and slower.

Is there a high-tech boost controller where I can plot in a curve and set target boost versus RPM?

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
probably a torque boost, cause it's not more power per se, but a bigger "hit" when boost comes in. And you know I'm ALL about the hit! :smokin:

I would love to have control where I could touch 1.9 bar around 5000rpm, then pull it back to 1.7 or 1.6...the simpleminded Power FC can't do this, it just self-learns to reach boost slower and slower.

Is there a high-tech boost controller where I can plot in a curve and set target boost versus RPM?
i maybe wrong but can you not do that with a apexi avcr boost controller

·
Registered
411 Posts
if you wanted more of a hit you should have went with disco potatoes lol

check this guy out YouTube - Nissan Skyline In Cyprus

from what i can tell it doesnt get going till late into 6kish... but then... hell breaks loose

ps: he blew the engine :p

ive seen a few topics talking about modifying -5's and being able to get more power from them, maybe look into it? i couldnt seem to find anything talking about whats been done to them tho

1 - 20 of 39 Posts