·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
More power=more lag..2860-5s are plenty powerful enough when set up right

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Im still sticking to our claim of 905hp with modified lowmount 2530's btw, I guess all the non believers can just read the article in HPI.

·
Registered
798 Posts
More power=more lag..2860-5s are plenty powerful enough when set up right
agreed..im well happy and im only running 1.4.602bhp at 1.4 bar is very respectable especially considering -5s are almost as responsive as stock turbos.Cant say enough good about these turbos..ultimate set up for the street.

that skyline in cyprus sounds like its running a big old school single,not twin disc potatoes..must be horrible to drive.totally unusable in the twisties..

@glenn..power figures aside what does that "900bhp" 2530 powered car do the quarter mile in?have you got any incar video clips of that car?

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Im still sticking to our claim of 905hp with modified lowmount 2530's btw, I guess all the non believers can just read the article in HPI.
so that car is estimated at 905 at the crank? I know you know your stuff, and I'm sorry, it simply just doesn't add up. Every factor that could make it happen - insane headwork, big displacement, ludicrous boost pressures...you've said were not the case. I know how much air has to flow for 900bhp, and 2530-based or not, the turbo size to push that much air just won't fit onto stock or stock-type manifolds. You didn't rule out nitrous, but the dyno chart clearly has no NOS on it. It just looks like what you'd get with a T51 Kai....or a pair of T04z.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Is there a high-tech boost controller where I can plot in a curve and set target boost versus RPM?
As MrGT says you can do this with an Apexi AVC-R (I've got one).

You can also set different boost limits for different gears if you really want to.

I think it's also got a spash boost setting, where it'll give you extra boost for a short time (a few seconds) before settling down to 'normal' boost.

Cheers,
Kingsley.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Toby
Im over the arguing ok ....
For the thrid and final time I dont really care what you think ok ...as in this instance you are 100% wrong, and with respect , you have been wrong before,

The exhaust housings are 2530's ok ....
No nos
Pump gas (98)
The additional power has come from some very clever unshrouding of the valves and a few other mods to the head and throttle body spindles.
Would you like Carls phone number ?
I posted the dyno sheert , and then all I got was "what a dog" which it most certainly is not, this is a tarmac rally / race car , not a drag car and the power delivery is exceptional to say the least.
If it was a dog we would start again .....

http://www.performancecar.co.nz/eve...driver-profiles/carl-ruiterman-driver-profile

http://www.driftcarl.com/2009/Welcome.html

Email him , tell him hes full of shit ....

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Toby
Im over the arguing ok ....
For the thrid and final time I dont really care what you think ok ...as in this instance you are 100% wrong, and with respect , you have been wrong before,

The exhaust housings are 2530's ok ....
No nos
Pump gas (98)
The additional power has come from some very clever unshrouding of the valves and a few other mods to the head and throttle body spindles.
Would you like Carls phone number ?
I posted the dyno sheert , and then all I got was "what a dog" which it most certainly is not, this is a tarmac rally / race car , not a drag car and the power delivery is exceptional to say the least.
If it was a dog we would start again .....

Carl Ruiterman - Driver Profile -- Performance Car | Modified drift, drag and import machines

Carl Ruiterman

Email him , tell him hes full of shit ....
Yup, And tell him he can't drift for shit!!

Ruiterman = :bowdown1::bowdown1:

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
well there we go! Still curious as to how 2530 housings can push that much air, but I guess that's where the "modified" aspect comes in. If I had to guess - the wheels, the pitch of the fins, the ratio of the small compressor wheel to the larger one (can't recall the terms) are set to maximize flow at the expense of spool time. I recently read up on wheel design and ok, if you went to a particular extreme, you'd flow more air but the lag would be a bitch.

Ok Glenn, I'm satisfied. And you can care or not care, I was very diplomatic before in terms of my questions but you've gotten my goat. I just wanted to know how it was ****ing done, ok?

Fact is, you came on a couple weeks back and claimed the impossible (and face it, you KNOW that saying "2530" and "905bhp" in the same sentence is meant to grab headlines) yet spend weeks slowly letting out details and holding your cards close. Sorry mate, a lot of people were hesitant to call bullshit on you because that's what it smelled like at first (the last person to claim nearly 900 horsepower from lowmount twins had the username "6-Speed"...do a search lol), but the way you reported things (no NOS, mild cams, pump gas, lowmount turbo housings - essentially ruling out all non-magical ways to make power) were really, let's be honest, designed to increase your mystique and appearance of the holder of arcane wisdom to achieve power that, well, the rest of us can't....that you've found a new way that others don't know. Good for you, I just wonder why everyone didn't fall all over themselves to congratulate you and hail you as the new God of RBs.

Referring to a couple authoritative texts I have on my shelf....extreme precision work on the valves, chamfering the seats, unshrouding and bowl work, and of course porting, polishing the exhaust ports, magic secretive work on the intake ports (and yes I know the difference between how you approach intake ports versus exhaust), spindleless butterflies - with standard 2530s that's worth about a hundred horsepower, and power would come in much earlier than 6000rpm.

So making up the other 200bhp - the turbine wheels. Go full retard on the lag to get the most CFM per revolution. Maybe some milling on the insides of the housings to fit the wheels. Simple enough.

And yes, yes, you're right, power hitting at 6000rpm is not a dog...in racing. Please tell me that 6000-10,000rpm is normal "responsive" driving on the street. Those who are calling that car a dog, are seeing things from a street perspective. And face it, a street is usually where a car is driven. Plus dyno charts never tell the whole story. Boost might come in at 6000rpm, but if you're making 1/3rd power at 3000rpm, that's still plenty of horsepower to get your car moving. Anyways, I'm of the school that there's no such thing as turbo lag....just laggy drivers.

Glenn, I don't want to get into some pissing match here. You've just been parading around your engine that God Himself couldn't build, without giving out the details. Perhaps it wasn't intentional (every good tuner keeps their cards close, just like a talented chef NEVER gives out their recipes), but it was a very big claim, and you kept emphasizing what WASN'T done, that is, saying that with parts most people make 600bhp out of, you made 900.

I think all the bits are on the table now, particularly what exactly added up to your dyno pull. It's the turbine wheels. I'll bet my car on it.

I may be limited in my two years worth of knowledge (that is how long I've been working on cars), but I am proud to say that, right or wrong, I am utterly transparent and feel that this forum is a place to share everything I run into, successes and failures. When I post misinformation btw, there ARE experts who I respect highly, who PM me with corrections. And guess what? That's WHY I respect those tuners so highly.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
for those who don't care to wade through my ramblings:

Glenn's car made that power with 2530 housings by changing the turbine wheels, with an eye to the ratio between the smaller feeder wheel and the bigger one that pushes air out the exducer. The cost is much slower spool, but the payoff is greater airflow.

So I'm wrong. The HOUSINGS can flow 900bhp. Glenn, if he's got any brains, will deny this - if you've found an unconventional way to make power, you're not going to just go around and tell everyone for free, are you?? But it's clever nonetheless.

Valve job and slick butterflies adding 300bhp - that's all smoke and mirrors.

So the secret's out, anyways. I'll do some research tonight to venture a guess as to what wheels were used, but I've already gotten an inkling - the turbo housing had to be milled out for clearance for the new wheels, is this not correct Mr. Glenn?

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I think I may have come off sounding too harsh. Ok, I was being an asshole. I'm sorry Glenn :(

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
see, that's where I'm suspicious. There's some kind of sandbagging here. He's found a way to lowmount large twins, and isn't divulging how. Big kudos for getting 800bhp out of lowmounts, but I call bullshit on them being anything but extremely distantly related to a 2530, whatever they actually are. I think mentioning them as 2530 "related" is disingenuous and highly misleading. If they were called "lowmounted 3037-type hybrids" then 850bhp is far more believable. But saying "2530" and "850bhp" in the same sentence is either trying to show off that you've got some magical tuning ability, or are again, trying to sandbag.

I'm just hung up on the turbos being "2530-derived".

Right .....
Like I said from day 1 ....
Hybrid 2530's ....

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Ive been consistant from what I have said from the outset ok ....

Toby's reply

750 wheel horsepower - those aren't 2530s, even if they were originally. Those are more like GT-RS numbers (same exducer, bigger compressor), although I think someone would be hard pressed to make 750 at the hubs with GT-RS turbos.

Must have a 2.8 stroker, and some serious head work. And those compressors must be a damned sight bigger than 2530s. There's no way I'd get close to 750 at the hubs with my car even on 100RON pump gas

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Very consistant

Oh, hey this isnt some kind of dumb ass trap, whereby which I comeback with some other shit.
Ill double check the turbo's, but Im 100% sure of what they are......
Same car was making 460AWKWS before the throttle body and head mods, but would not blow more than 1.5 bar as the boost controller was topped out.
PS
I shouldnt think the dyno sheet would be too hard to find.
Ill try and sort it tomorrow.

Which I did, which was still pooh poohed ....
Now I know how Rob felt with his RB30 post's

Kind of wonder why one should bother ....

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I grabbed my A.Bell turbo book from home during lunch, I know there's a chapter in there that, if read with the right sort of creative mind, could give the idea of creating a very powerful hybrid turbo.

Had I guessed about the wheels from day 1, I wouldn't have been so pooh-pooh suspicious. But myself, and the community at large, are quite hung up on established formula for certain horsepower outputs.

Let me finish my humble admission of wrongness by saying that I REALLY DO HOPE that y'all Kiwis are finding new creative ways to get power. I don't think the Japanese have done anything new in ages - the Z-tune is a nice engine but it's a rather predictable off-the-shelf build...it just comes with a warranty :p

There is a growing trend of engines, builds, and parts coming out of NZ, and I hope that trend continues. If HKS has had the final word on RB tuning, then there's no new ground, and that's when things get boring and stale.

I probably won't do a hybrid build with my turbos though - I need fast spool, and the way my turbos are working these days is pure smile inducing, and scares the crap out of people I give rides to :D

·
Registered
659 Posts
It is not rocket science, just a bigger compressor wheel (I would assume)... more air, more power. Combined with head mods the engine can use the extra air to make more power.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
It is not rocket science, just a bigger compressor wheel (I would assume)... more air, more power. Combined with head mods the engine can use the extra air to make more power.

905 hp, would be pretty difficult. There is only so much meat in those compressor and exhaust housings.

I did 137 mph , about 700 whp out of a set of 2530's. However, I was on C16. I cranked the boost up to 2.2+ bar. And I was running about a 150 shot of nitrous on top of the boost. At the end of that run, one of the 2530's expired.

With a perfect head, tons of cam, 2.0+ bar of boost , C16, and a bigger than GT-RS exhaust on a 2.8, or 3.0 liter. I can see maybe 750-800 whp.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts