GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi folks ive got a lovely r32 vspec coming in from japan via newera in a few months, but ive heard some scary stories with these stock ceramic turbos....
im hoping the engine will last a good while considering low miles, oil cooler, hks clutch, chipped ecu, being a mid 93 has the updated oil pump drive, filter/exhaust etc...a fair few areas are covered id like to think for this car to do me proud.

i thought about fitting some 2860-5s from the start and running low boost....ie 0.7bar ish on the chipped stock ecu and stock injectors? would this work ok?
i would rather save myself the costs of multipal tuning and mapping sessions by getting mapping done later down the line in one bit hit when i have injectors/pump and ecu sorted when funds allow.
anything around 400hp at 0.7bar will do me for a while and be safe on stock components (id like to think).

end goal is around 500hp area, and i really think all thats needed on this car to get there is turbo/ecu/injectors/afms and mapping.

powerFCs seem to be few and far between, and still seem pretty expensive, ive had them a long while on my mr2, however they really are old school tech now right?
Nistune has been mentioned, is this a good option?? (costs??).

i can fit all these parts myself, its just tuning that i would leave to the pro's.

in summary, ok to run these turbos for a while at low boost?
then fuel pump at some point

then ecu and injectors at mappers and go for 1.2bar to make 450-475-ish

thoughts?

cheers
:smokin:

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Yes you could...but she will have more lag, and if you run 1bar on the stockers and don't bounce off the rev limiter all the time the OEM ones will last longer then you might think ;)

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Am sure a small amount of additional lag is a decent price to pay considering there future potential and not having to worry about them snapping.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Nistune has been mentioned, is this a good option?? (costs??)
Nistune average price down here is $AU1000 supplied, installed & tuned, which is much cheaper than most other ecus alone... not sure what it costs up your end of the world though

Finding a tuner that knows the software is key to a good result, like any other ecu really.

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,172 Posts
Depends what 500bhp means really. If that's crank bhp then you might get away with stock afm. If so Nistune will work ok. You'd want a boost controller too. Of course 500 crank bhp is probably better done with smaller turbos than -5s but that's a different kettle of fish.

I'm about to replace my Nistune ECU for a standalone. Stock afms won't be enough for me so I'd need either bigger afms. I cannot be bothered with the hassle of afms so map sensor it is, and Nistune doesn't do map sensors.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeh im just talking about breaking 400 at the wheels, so 475-500crank hp.
tho ive no idea if this will keep me happy for long :) ?? :-/
i did get a run out in a r32 gtr that had cams, 2860-5s, pfc at 1.2bar and it went very well..enough for road use anyway!

are you saying, the nistune cant handle aftermarket afms?
ps, yep already have a ebc, an old school HKS EVC 2! (1 or 2 anyway), looks like something from knightrider!

3,663 Posts
Fit the -5's with 0.6 bar base boost , fit a adjustable FPR , quick run on the dyno , tweak the fuel pressure ignition timing using the FPR and the CAS adjust the boost using the boost controller to get a safe tune and use it , I am sure it will be safe to use until you get some injectors/AFM's and ECU to be able to tune the car.

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,172 Posts
yeh im just talking about breaking 400 at the wheels, so 475-500crank hp.
tho ive no idea if this will keep me happy for long :) ?? :-/
i did get a run out in a r32 gtr that had cams, 2860-5s, pfc at 1.2bar and it went very well..enough for road use anyway!

are you saying, the nistune cant handle aftermarket afms?
ps, yep already have a ebc, an old school HKS EVC 2! (1 or 2 anyway), looks like something from knightrider!
I believe that the Nistune can use other AFMs (i.e. z32). I'm probably being picky but I don't like the idea of spending money on air flow meters when I could be buying a much more advanced ecu and ditch the boost controller etc.

In fact just checked yes you can use different afms. NIStune - Realtime ECU Tuning

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well as luck would have it, i stumbled across these items soon after i started this thead.
:)

Thanks to mgt racing, these should do me well with any luck :).

·
Registered
8 Posts
If so Nistune will work ok. You'd want a boost controller too. Of course 500 crank bhp is probably better done with smaller turbos than -5s but that's a different kettle of fish.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
from what ive read on here regarding 5s vs 7s, theres very little in it in terms of spool, but 5s seem to kick arse across entire rev range.
hence why im thinking of these, as means i can run less boost, so in turn less load/abuse on the engine to achieve decent figures. (7s or similar would need more boost to hit similar numbers).

i had an apexi RX6B on my mr2, and that was a lovely turbo. seen these used on a few of the old best motoring vids 0-300km vids on youtube on the skyline.
mega expensive turbo tho.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
If you prduce the same power with -5 at less boost, the load on the engine will be the same (they move more air), only thing with -7s is that at high boost you may get more heat if moving out of their efficiency range.

Properly tuned -7s will boost earlier, as smaller, but will fall off sooner.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
makes sense...
tho more heat from higher boost is likely to mean more chance of det (higher egts).

not a fan of turbos that fall past 6k rpm for example...(tho am sure cams can play a part to help).
like to keep same power flat ish from 6.5-7.5, peaking hp at 7+ would be ideal.
i dont plan of raising rev limit unless its safe to do so.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thought id update this now the time is nearer to getting some of these turbos

i contact owen developements and they said there actuator are 0.9bar (tho says 1bar on website), so a no go straight off. but they mentioned swapping actuators from the stock turbos on there?
seem sensible?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thought id update this now the time is nearer to getting some of these turbos

i contact owen developements and they said there actuator are 0.9bar (tho says 1bar on website), so a no go straight off. but they mentioned swapping actuators from the stock turbos on there?
seem sensible?
anyone any input on this question??
this possible or way too much effort as mean id need to take them off again to swap actuators again?

·
Registered
478 Posts
I've got -7's boosting 1.2 bar, link G4 ECU (get's rid of the AFM's) with std injectors and fuel pump, It made 464bhp @ 7060rpm at the hub's. :squintdan

3,663 Posts
I've got -7's boosting 1.2 bar, link G4 ECU (get's rid of the AFM's) with std injectors and fuel pump, It made 464bhp @ 7060rpm at the hub's. :squintdan

I know Garth tuned you car but has he lifted the base fuel pressure to help stop the injectors run out of duty?

Running the turbo's at 1.0 bar I would say the injectors with stock fuel pressure will be okay.

To swop the actuators in the car isn't a bad job TBH.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts