GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought i would share some info as there isn't much on this turbo. I know its not much power compared to some of the other cars here but it is what it is.

copied from freshalloy:

Sean(tyndago) is the man. Stayed up till like 1-2am finishing up the car. He inhaled quite a lot of the carbon monoxide, as did I. Ill take the worst hang over any day over this crap.... Thanks Sean! Also got to say thanks to RBmotoring and the great build and the great service!

Well, finally got around to tuning with Sean. Started with a heavy miss. Changed out plugs and clean coil packs and made literally, night and day of a difference. I gained 10hp on the same map and the dyno graph went front a roller coaster to a baby's ass. Then we couldn't get boost to go past 1 bar. I think i wired up stuff incorrectly. So im going to fix some stuff and hopefully retune this week.

Plan is to get the boost controller to work and go back and try to get 1.3 out of it.

Sean wants to try advancing the intake cam so i pick up some low end and lose some top but well worth the trade off. Also try the cooler plug 8.

kick ass 91 octane !
Stock untouched motor @ 40k miles
tomei poncams 264* 9.1mm in/exh
ported manifold
2860 -10's or 2871r - whatever you want to call it
ngk plugs
trust downpipes
hks hi-power fart canon
sard torque valve
divided twin turbo pipe
sard 800cc inj
nismo adj fpr set at 43 base
tomei fuel pump
blitz super gay bov's
stock airbox

pics courtesy of sean's fb

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Hmm...I'm just about to bottle out of fitting these turbos to a RB26 because I'm worried about the driveability.

Have you driven it yet ? Whats the boost threshold like and whats the shuffle like with the divided tt pipe ? What air flow meters and ECU are you using ? A speedy response would be handy as I was planning to rebuild and fit a pair of stock turbos to the car tomorrow :)

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
That's not bad for 1bar.....Miles away frrom the boost those puppies need (As Sean will tell you!) so lets us now what you get to when you have gotten rid of the miss.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
It took 1.5 bars on my 2860-5s to make the same power. Sean always warns about -10s being surge monsters...are you getting shuffle? Have you taken her out for highway cruising? I'm dying to step up to -10s but worry about shuffle which can be maddening. Even with -5s it's a bit of a throttle balance game on the highway to keep the car at a steady cruise. Too much and the turbos start spooling and I accelerate. Careful mapping and twin turbo pipe mod has helped with shuffle at the vacuum/boost threshold.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have yet to get it back capitan. very soon though.... just wanted to post some numbers as when i searched, no info was available. But yah, thanks for helping me out as well with the pm's, thanks for sharing the knowledge :p.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
no prob, if you and Sean can get those turbos to run smoothly without surging at part throttle, not only will I upgrade to those turbos, I'll be asking you a lot of questions as to how you've gotten them not to shuffle!

Those are very smooth power curves, nice linear power! There's more torque to be had though once you sort through the boost issues - at least 150lb/ft more. And if you really push it you can start laying down over 600whp...but then I'd start worrying about your piston ring lands.

argh, the CO Headache is a doozy, just thinking about it gives me some bad memories! And I just noticed that bumper sticker..."I love soju"??? Christ, I think half the reason I don't drink is because of that stuff...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It shuffles for sure on high load areas with low gear. Steep uphills are where it surged for sure. I drove it for a few thousand miles prior to tuning to break in the clutch. I dont mind the shuffle though. Turbos are meant to be replaced anyway :p. The only things modded are the divided TT pipe and a sard torque valve, which is similar to the active tail silencer. Ill do some videos for ya when i get it.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I ran these same turbos at 1.95bar, shuffle was a pain, but they are good.
If you have a high reving RB then these are the ones to have. If your limiter is at 7500 then dont bother with these and go for -5's

·
Registered
720 Posts
SARD TORQUE VALVE DYNO

does the SARD torque valve do anything else apart from making the exhaust less noisy?

are there any dyno graphs before and after one is fitted to compare?

Looking at your graph the torque dips alot at 3500rpm?
But it is higher below 3500rpm....?

Just for anyone interested in what the turbos made. Car made 509whp @ 1.1 bar/16psi and 320 ft/lbs on 91 octane.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
does the SARD torque valve do anything else apart from making the exhaust less noisy?

are there any dyno graphs before and after one is fitted to compare?

Looking at your graph the torque dips alot at 3500rpm?
But it is higher below 3500rpm....?

Not sure, I think its helping with the surge with added back pressure but what do i know. No, before and after, dyno of the valve as all the mods were done at the same time.

I think the torque dips like that because of the dynapak. It allows a free rev and then as the rpms climb, it grabs then tries to simulate load but again, what do i know? :shy:

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
after a lot of testing with the similar Apexi ATS silencer, I think that, although it does improve off-boost drivability, when you want to really get on it, it induces slower boost buildup. It lags. It chokes off the engine - maybe knocks off only 5-10hp peak, but it hurts the power curve, especially in the lower end of positive boost.

but having silence in the car; sometimes it's a welcome relief!

·
Registered
794 Posts
i have a built rb30 with redline @ 9000rpm & with -10s, makes 405awkw (or 450rwkw)

this equates to 550awhp (or just over 600rwhp)

its not the peak power where it wins, its the torque @ 930nm :)
yep I know mate - hav read ur build threads :thumbsup: Awesome stuff.

im shootin for a lower brick, stock internal rips rb30 so wont ever go past 7500rpm... u reckon keep to -10s or run -5s ?

·
Registered
771 Posts
im desperate to go for the 10s!

Honestly, do the power benifits outway the shuffle, lag and general drivability?

What do you reckon on an RB27?
on a larger capacity engine, lag is eliminated. shuffle is almost non existent as long as the actuators are calibrated together.

i know someone with an rb28 and is happy with his -10s, on an rb27 lag will be more apparent so if that is a concern i'd be tempted to run with -5s

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.