GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
I guess as to why is because 2JZ's are stronger than RB's, don't have the oiling problems and can safely run a lot of power on totally stock internals, a fair bit more than a stock RB26 can.

·
Registered
562 Posts
How would it compare to an RB30 build, same 3.0 and I am guessing more or less the same money spent on upgrades?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Nice!
I was always led to believe that they were an alli block, but clearly not.
Are they any lighter??

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Awesome work :) Not a fan on that RB30 with mix of parts from here there and everywhere!
An rb30 seems over stretched to me as well. Its pushing it imo
I am not sure how you guys come to these conclusions?? Have you ever owned or used an RB30?

Overstretched? pushing it??

You only need to look at some of the high powered RIPS RB30 builds and all the records that Rob has smashed with the RB30 powered 240z, FED, MGAWAT, MGAWATll etc to ascertain how powerful and durable the RB30 engine is :thumbsup:

Back on topic, great work mounting the skyline sump onto the 2jz and the bellhousing adapter :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
I guess as to why is because 2JZ's are stronger than RB's, don't have the oiling problems and can safely run a lot of power on totally stock internals, a fair bit more than a stock RB26 can.
the only reason the 2jz's are stronger is due to them being RWD, a 26 and 30 would be as strong in a rwd car!

a lot less stress on everything.

if tuned correct a 3.0 or 2.6rb can be reliable and as powerful as the 2jz engine!

either way nice project! its nice to see someone thinking outside the box!

Great work

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
What is over stretched?
I dont mean stretching material etc, I mean stretching the idea. A 2.8 conversion is more to my liking thats all. Just an opinion. I know the potential of the rb30 is extreme but extreme it is and horribly expensive. It would certainly be cheaper for the op to do what he's doing rather than building a proper rb30

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
I dont mean stretching material etc, I mean stretching the idea. A 2.8 conversion is more to my liking thats all. Just an opinion. I know the potential of the rb30 is extreme but extreme it is and horribly expensive. It would certainly be cheaper for the op to do what he's doing rather than building a proper rb30
I disagree.
There are plenty of RB30s around that the engine build is not expensive.
It would have cost me more to buy a RB28 stroker kit and had that installed than my complete RB30 engine.

If you add up buying a 2J engine, the adapters to be made (or if he will sell you a set) remaking all of the water,oil,and exhaust system (remember the 2Js inlet and exhaust is on the other sides compared to the RB) and then getting an engine loom made up, changing the ECU to suit.......I hardly think this is cheaper than a RB30 build.

Don't get me wrong, I applaud what he's doing, and I'm sure it will be fantastic, but personally for the skill he has, I would be putting in a more modern, lighter engine like a VR38 or VK56, more work no doubt, but if you are going to that much trouble to take the RB out, go the whole hog

[waits for :flame:ing]

·
Registered
175 Posts
Well I will say a massive well done bud, I know its not the pure thing to do but it does take a lot of balls to go against the grain and try something new :)

My knowledge on engines is very limited atm as to the power gains of either engine but its clear you put a lot of work and effort into the build bud so hope all works out well in the long run!

Mike

·
Registered
36 Posts
I like this built, please just keep updates and a lot pics coming :) Is those billet aluminium parts designed and made by your own? You going to run normal getrag box?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I disagree.
There are plenty of RB30s around that the engine build is not expensive.
It would have cost me more to buy a RB28 stroker kit and had that installed than my complete RB30 engine.
Yes, but you're in NZ where RB30 blocks are cheap and plentiful.

In the UK the RB30 was only used in very few 1980's Nissan Patrols and consequently the blocks are very rare over here.

There is a fair amount of faffing about to be done with grinding the block in various places, getting hold of a sump adaptor and making a pickup, re-locating tensioner etc which all adds to the labour cost if the engines being built by a tuner so that often outprices them against a RB26 based build and due to the unfavourable exchange rates with the £ against the AUD and NZD its also no longer particuarly cheap to source either parts or pre-built engines from Aus and NZ. The exchange rate is better for us if we source parts from the US and there are a obviously a lot of people selling 2JZ parts over there so a 2JZ conversion may actually be fairly comparable to a RB30 conversion over here.

As far a sticking a Toyota engine in a GT-R goes - I wouldn't personally want to do it but I understand the reasons why its appealling. An interesting engineering exercise anyway so will look forward to the updates. :thumbsup:

Cheers

Stu

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Yes, but you're in NZ where RB30 blocks are cheap and plentiful.

In the UK the RB30 was only used in very few 1980's Nissan Patrols and consequently the blocks are very rare over here.

There is a fair amount of faffing about to be done with grinding the block in various places, getting hold of a sump adaptor and making a pickup, re-locating tensioner etc which all adds to the labour cost if the engines being built by a tuner so that often outprices them against a RB26 based build and due to the unfavourable exchange rates with the £ against the AUD and NZD its also no longer particuarly cheap to source either parts or pre-built engines from Aus and NZ. The exchange rate is better for us if we source parts from the US and there are a obviously a lot of people selling 2JZ parts over there so a 2JZ conversion may actually be fairly comparable to a RB30 conversion over here.

As far a sticking a Toyota engine in a GT-R goes - I wouldn't personally want to do it but I understand the reasons why its appealling. An interesting engineering exercise anyway so will look forward to the updates. :thumbsup:

Cheers

Stu
Fair enough, I can see the the RB28 vs RB30 in the UK might be a cheaper option, would be a lot dearer here.
I can't see the 2J conversion being a cheaper option than a RB30 though.....doesn't mater where you live, so much would need changing, but I do like the "think outside the box" idea.

Isn't the OP the guy that was doing a Nissan V8 to GTR conversion at one point....?? Did it get finished? I still think that makes more sense.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts