GTR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys just a quick one for those that have a yellow top battery.

With todays weather in mind and my alarm on do you think my yellow top battery will survive 3 weeks?

I do have a kill switch which disconnects the battery but I'd rather leave the alarm on tbh.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Putting it in my friends lockup and I'm not around, otherwise charging it would be the obvious option.

Also I dont know if I can allow the yellow top to discharge (will it knacker it)

The battery is new.

Anyone leave theirs for weeks?

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
If you're bothered why not whip it out and stick a cheapo in if you need the alarm etc to still function.

In this weather I'd be surprised to find a battery last three weeks.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Optimas dont stop holding charge like normal batteries do after being run flat, so even if it doesnt last the 3 weeks, it shouldnt adversely effect the battery too much anyway.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Optimas dont stop holding charge like normal batteries do after being run flat, so even if it doesnt last the 3 weeks, it shouldnt adversely effect the battery too much anyway.
correct, the yellow top is a deep cycle battery which by definition means that deep charge cycles, (empty ... full... empty ... full etc) will not harm the battery in any way.

my yellow top just about manages 3 weeks to be fair, but not a lot more. stick a trickle charger on it and it will probably do 4 weeks.:thumbsup: (dependant on alarm)

kev

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Only problem is with optimas if you do try and charge it and it wont take charge then its only good for the bin.
Can you put a conditioner on it or is there no power supply in the lockup, if there is just go and buy 1 from Halfrauds for £25 and job done.

Tony

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No light and no power supply.....guess i'm ****ed!! A cheap battery just wont cut it I'm afraid, may as well disconnect the optima.

Solar charger could get some energy from electric lights surely?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
You can buy some pretty beefy solar chargers from Maplin (online only). Before I put my GTR into storage for winter, I used a £75 one which provided something like 700mA charging current. I found as long as you took it indoors at night so it didnt spend the next day frozen it worked fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts