GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
3 year old, full respray...

Ok, can't sleep tonight... Found out my MY11 GTR has had a full respray. Only bought the car a few weeks ago from a Nissan dealer. Though I'd buy one from Nissan for peace of mind, how wrong I was :-(. Now, it's a good spray job and the previous owner just said it had a lot of stone chips so he'd get a full spray job. Maybe money was no object so he done the lot.

Phoned Nissan dealer today about it and as uausal no one got back to me yet. I mentioned a possible good will gesture, or even having the car back and getting a full refund.

Am I over reacting or should I be raring up at Nissan?

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I would be concerned, I mean you'd have to be mad to respray the whole of a 3 year old car for a few stone chips, so there maybe more to it than has been said. The trouble is I would suspect it's been hit and future buyers might suspect the same, so that might devalue it a bit.

How did you find out gtrmackem? Is it a first class respray, no visible signs anywhere? Standard GT-R paint is quite orange peely anyway, but does it appear to have a normal orange peel finish, too much orange peel or has it been flatted smooth?

·
R35 Section manager
11,052 Posts
+1

Drive it and enjoy it. As Matt says if its a top class re-spray I wouldn't loose any sleep over it buddy:cool:

As above.
As long as your happy how its been painted and no sign of any previous damage be happy with it

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I would be concerned, I mean you'd have to be mad to respray the whole of a 3 year old car for a few stone chips, so there maybe more to it than has been said. The trouble is I would suspect it's been hit and future buyers might suspect the same, so that might devalue it a bit.

How did you find out gtrmackem? Is it a first class respray, no visible signs anywhere? Standard GT-R paint is quite orange peely anyway, but does it appear to have a normal orange peel finish, too much orange peel or has it been flatted smooth?
Hi, the car was in for a detailed valet. I guess they see so many cars, he had his doubts.

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
Go and pick up 5l of paint and tell me what you think next time you are in B&Q

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would rather have a durable finish and eat a few less pies to counteract the few extra lbs of paint. I would understand if this was an F1 forum but these street! cars weigh 3840 lbs and couple of extra lbs would not stop us from munching practically every other car on the road so you might as well look better whilst doing it :chuckle:

·
Registered
197 Posts
I would rather have a durable finish and eat a few less pies to counteract the few extra lbs of paint. I would understand if this was an F1 forum but these street! cars weigh 3840 lbs and couple of extra lbs would not stop us from munching practically every other car on the road so you might as well look better whilst doing it :chuckle:
Weight does make a fair difference but it does need to be a fair amount of weight to make said difference!

I always laugh at many of my track buddies who will spend £10K on carbon fibre as it will make the car lighter.
£1K of driver tuition would give them far better lap times...

Oh an on the subject of weight I was watching this this morning:
Nissan GT-R vs Porsche 911 Turbo Cabriolet | evo DRAG BATTLE - YouTube

But given the choice of glass like paint or the stock Nissan look I'd rather have the glass look.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I'd drive to the dealer you bought it off and sit and wait for an explanation and insist they get an independent inspection done.
Has your detailer got one of those devices to measure the thickness of the paint?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I'd drive to the dealer you bought it off and sit and wait for an explanation and insist they get an independent inspection done.
Wouldn't that just be extremely awkward? I understand what your saying though but still...

You bought a used car, all used cars have history as long as it's hpi clear and great condition now then enjoy it!! Be more concerned how many times it's been launched that'll bother me more.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Wouldn't that just be extremely awkward? I understand what your saying though but still...

You bought a used car, all used cars have history as long as it's hpi clear and great condition now then enjoy it!! Be more concerned how many times it's been launched that'll bother me more.
Maybe, but he's spent (probably) close to £40k, ok the dealer said the previous owner had a full respray because of stone chips but I would rather know that this was true and the respray wasn't to mask a repair somewhere on the car (dealer might not know the complete history of the car, just what the previous owner had decided to tell them).

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Maybe, but he's spent (probably) close to £40k, ok the dealer said the previous owner had a full respray because of stone chips but I would rather know that this was true and the respray wasn't to mask a repair somewhere on the car (dealer might not know the complete history of the car, just what the previous owner had decided to tell them).
Yeah I'm going to speak to the previous owner if I can.. Find out where it was done as well...and 40k! I wish, more like 50k.. :-(

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am with the guys who said they would not be to bothered as long as it is a good job you will have no problems.

My car is now 3 years old and is Ultimate Silver I have had the front bumper painted because of stone chips and it is a real pain trying to get a good paint match, would be much easier just painting the whole car if money was not an issue thats what I would have done.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts