GTR Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Could be HICAS playing up.
Mine did this, get hard on the gas and you were having to give it a substantial ammount of opposite lock, brake an you would have to give it an equal ammount the opposite way. 7 or 8 miles down the road the HICAS light comes on and everything is OK. I have now fitted a Tomei HICAS lock kit, I personally prefer the way the car drives without it anyway. :)

try disableing the HICAS system somehow (fuse possibly) and see how the car behaves

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Mine started doing it yesterday. Fitted a new steering wheel last month and was getting the Hicas light coming on, but no other nasty effects. But yersterday any time I got near 70, the car would take a nose-dive left and I had to turn the wheel right to stop it going on to the hard shoulder.
At first I thought it was the wind, was pretty brutal yesterday. Then I stopped and checked the front wheels. Was only after a few mins my brain clicked that it was the Hicas getting funky.

I ordered the Tomei Hicas lock yesterday for it, so it's good to hear that you found it an improvement. Is it something that can be fitted at home, or should I put the car in and get it done properly?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Mine started doing it yesterday. Fitted a new steering wheel last month and was getting the Hicas light coming on, but no other nasty effects. But yersterday any time I got near 70, the car would take a nose-dive left and I had to turn the wheel right to stop it going on to the hard shoulder.
At first I thought it was the wind, was pretty brutal yesterday. Then I stopped and checked the front wheels. Was only after a few mins my brain clicked that it was the Hicas getting funky.

I ordered the Tomei Hicas lock yesterday for it, so it's good to hear that you found it an improvement. Is it something that can be fitted at home, or should I put the car in and get it done properly?
Easy enough to fit the electronic part, the brass lock "rings" for the rear rack are another thing though, I have not fitted these yet, but fitting the little black box has stopped all the carry on for the moment......:)

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i think i've cured mine for now :/

didnt do it today when i was bedding in the new brakes anyway.

My road wheels have funcky tyres on.... and i mean FUNKY.

1 Nankang
1 WANLI
2 Bravus or something..

ooooof, the quality :p

The rears had the mixed set, the NANKANG was near the tread wear indicator, compared to the WANLI.
The two fronts (bravus) appear to be new so i swapped the good matched set to the rear. Seems to have worked

OR

the hicas was confussed (battery was disconnected for a while, then reconnected) May have had wheels off centre last time ??!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Adam, keep an eye on your front torque meter. I put 2 new tyres on the back of mine and it confused the Attessa due to different rolling radius'.

Charlie.

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
all the tyres are 225/50. Checked that when i was swapping.

Once i've got things sorted out i'm prob going to plop 888's or 048R's on them :)

The torque meter was a bit bonkers at medium throttle with the old (shiter) tyres on the back. Think it was detecting spin so was giving power to the front pretty much constantly. Its ok in the bone dry.

Also tried the car in RWD with tyres in old set up. SCARY.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Sorry, but im a little curious reading something like this and everyone saying "HICAS" on my understanding this only moves the rear wheels by 1 degree, surely this isn`t enough to throw a car across a road.
Im only saying this as everytime something like this happens everyone says "HICAS"
And i know of one instance were the same comments were made after a member crashed his car after it swung off the side of the road. After a police check it turned out that he drove over an oil spill.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
It's becuase the HICAS only activates at 55mph. At those speeds, the smallest variation in the wheel angle translates to a large effect on the cars direction. The faster you're going, the more severe the effect.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Could be a few things,I'm still chipping away at the problem.So far I have done
-right outer tie rod (helped a bit)
-wheel alignment
-new tires (helped a little more)

The car still pulls to the right expcept when I drive on a long straight highway then it's fine.As soon as i get into city driving making more turns then it pulls again.I am starting to think it is a problem with the front shocks.

If anyone else is going to install the Tomei Hicas lock I did a little write up that will help.
http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/61336-tomei-hicas-lock.html

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
It's becuase the HICAS only activates at 55mph. At those speeds, the smallest variation in the wheel angle translates to a large effect on the cars direction. The faster you're going, the more severe the effect.
Im sorry but i dont agree as it is activated for a fraction of a second. I`v felt it working enough times when i have done track days and at speeds of over 100mph and it doesn`t throw the back end of the car across the road.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Im sorry but i dont agree as it is activated for a fraction of a second. I`v felt it working enough times when i have done track days and at speeds of over 100mph and it doesn`t throw the back end of the car across the road.
Yeah that's because it's working correctly. but when people suggest HICAS is at fault, emphasis would be on 'fault'.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
OK but what im getting at is that everyone just says HICAS. There is clearly something wrong with this car and it needs a professional check.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts