GTR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All
I'm looking for some advice as to what to do next.:confused: 3rd gear is goosed on my standard gearbox, do I replace with another standard gearbox and hope 3rd on that one will last me another 5+ years or rebuild my existing one.
Putting out 400Whp and nismo coppermix twinplate clutch....
Budget is definately a factor, appreciate any advice.
Many Thanks

·
Registered
777 Posts
Find an s3 box I guess and sell yours for parts? Or get a rebuild kit and brace yourself as the labour will add up fast as will extra bits and pieces. At least that way youll know its good.

Buying used boxes is a gamble for obvious reasons.

By the time youve spent on a rebuild you could just about get a 6 speed so thats an option. They are much stronger too.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gearbox

Thank you for your reply, my good friend is a top drawer mechanic so a rebuild kit may be the cheaper option!! Where would i go for a rebuild kit??

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,772 Posts
If 3rd is stripped properly then there***8217;s a lot of bits to buy. Used late model box and refresh or RHD route. Or rebuild yours with an uprated gearkit like OS, PPG etc.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
R33 box

Thank you for the helpful advice all, that IS a good price for the RHD box.
Is that a reconditioned box ? or new item?
Also guys, will this RHD box, especially 3-5 gear, take the extra power, I mean thats was shagged my current standard box, the extra power.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Thank you for the helpful advice all, that IS a good price for the RHD box.
Is that a reconditioned box ? or new item?
Also guys, will this RHD box, especially 3-5 gear, take the extra power, I mean thats was shagged my current standard box, the extra power.

Thanks
Brand new :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Don’t use that clutch killed my box clutch then realised was the clutch killing it. Nismo copper mix throw it in the bin my box been fine ever since.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I'd get an ACT Xtreme with the power you're running. It's single plate but i've got one in my 32 and can't fault it, running 650-700bhp @ fly and holds perfectly fine, done plenty of hard launches as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
before buying a second hand box, strip down the housings on your current box to see what the issue is, I spent a few pound on spares for my own as it was slipping out of third, so I bought a few parts before tearing it down only to find out I only needed a few cheap spares from nissan to sort out the issues I had. now I'm sat with a load of synchro's and bearings waiting for someone who needs them to pick them up. Definitely worth taking the few hours to strip the housings off to have a look in

1 - 14 of 14 Posts