GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So annoying... 3500miles (road only, no track) and a nail in the rear tyre. Warning light came on the other day, said the tyre was 3 psi down compared to the others (26 VS 29psi). So over to KwikFit....... and typically a nail!

Screw is pretty much in the middle of the tyre, but the guy at KwikFit said they could not repair the runflats - is that right?

Now, I was always thinking that I wanted to change the wheels on the GTR and go down in size and some toyo r888s, but was not expecting it so quickly.

Time to go do some research on wheel and tyre options - any thoughts, places to buy, etc would be great.

·
Registered
115 Posts
nothing worse than that. Mind you I got a puncture in one my rears after only my secound day of owning my GT-R! I've gone down the Bridgestone route.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I got mine repaired in north London drove from Leicester to get it done, so you can get them repaired. I'll see if I can find the thread.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I read a post where someone had used a Dynaplug. Not sure I'd want a repaired tyre though, if the repair failed while I was on track it could be the end of me.

Anders

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nothing worse than that. Mind you I got a puncture in one my rears after only my secound day of owning my GT-R! I've gone down the Bridgestone route.
Now that would suck!!

I got mine repaired in north London drove from Leicester to get it done, so you can get them repaired. I'll see if I can find the thread.
Thanks, will have a look

Nonsense about not being able to repair runflats. They're just trying to sell you a new tyre!
I figured so - especially when they said they could not get the dunlop, so recommended the bridgestone.

Where can I go to get the repair done? Im south of London, near Redhill.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I read a post where someone had used a Dynaplug. Not sure I'd want a repaired tyre though, if the repair failed while I was on track it could be the end of me.

Anders
Yeah, I saw that thread, but that was because of the size of the damage, this is a relatively small screw, near the centre of the tyre and looks pretty straight in (no angle).

Thats the other thing I am thinking about... but I am very tempted to buy a smaller set of wheels and r888s for the car for the track. Still trying to decide.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Just be careful where you do go because they can be a bitch to get off and on and you don't want your wheels demolishing in the process.

As said I got mine repaired at TyreMax in South Woodford just a short trip round the M25 for you, I went on a Friday afternoon from Leicester it took my 5.5 hours to get home LOL!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yeah, I saw that thread, but that was because of the size of the damage, this is a relatively small screw, near the centre of the tyre and looks pretty straight in (no angle).
I had the same thing, straight in the middle, all the way.
Got it fixed near slough about 4/5 months ago.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
I have repaired mine puncture at KF why are they persistant?!

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
So annoying... 3500miles (road only, no track) and a nail in the rear tyre. Warning light came on the other day, said the tyre was 3 psi down compared to the others (26 VS 29psi). So over to KwikFit....... and typically a nail!

Screw is pretty much in the middle of the tyre, but the guy at KwikFit said they could not repair the runflats - is that right?

Now, I was always thinking that I wanted to change the wheels on the GTR and go down in size and some toyo r888s, but was not expecting it so quickly.

Time to go do some research on wheel and tyre options - any thoughts, places to buy, etc would be great.
Get a dynaplug and repair it without the need to take the tyre off the wheel. The other reason people like kwik fit will not repair runflats is that these tyres are a proper PITA to get off and on and the little they charge for the repair is not worth the risk or effort to do it.
Its not the end of the world so dont panic !

·
Registered
856 Posts
I had a nail in my semi slick when i just picked up the car after i just bought it!

18" R888 are still affordable!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Another vote for Dynaplug. My repair is going strong after ages and I can't remember now which wheel it was because the pressure holding performance is unchanged. But I needed to take the wheel off and hit the Dynaplug really hard repeatedly with a hammer to get it in LOL. These tyres are that tough.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts