GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was in Nissan HPC Belfast yesterday (that's a different story - not great service) and after 3800 miles my 64 reg GTR needs new rubber! Was told when looking to buy one that I'd get 8000 miles from a set of tyres??

She has the original Dunlops on her. 3800 miles seems low and I'll be honest in that no track days, no launches (just normal acceleration the odd time), no trashing around roads (too scared to damage her!) and generally 50mph on most B roads etc. Try and care for the car as best I can when driving. I'd see through it if I was thrashing her on a bit??

Any similar experiences? HPC said she might have been set up as "track" alignment. Basically insides are 1mm and centre and outers are around 4mm

Any thoughts?

Must research now on best value replacements at the top end tyre range. Prob either the Dunlops again or the Bridestones?

Thanks
R

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
Sounds like a track setup. Do a road setup for for the love of god dont buy tyres from Nissan! Go MPSS.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a track setup. Do a road setup for for the love of god dont buy tyres from Nissan! Go MPSS.
Just was onto local Litchfield affiliated agent here in Northern Ireland. Been reading threads here on tyre options as well.

Y'er man here reckons the Dunlops give you max 5k miles and wear terribly on inside, the Bridgestones maybe 8-10k miles, but they not the best option. He says go the MPSS - that's what I am researching now to see what's the best price I can get. Verdestein seem a good option too.

Looking value for money for regular Sunday cruising - no track days etc. Obviously not looking for cheap stuff, just the right tyres for me :)

Ohh aye, Nissan HPC quoted me £1200 for 4 Dunlops.....

Thanks

·
Registered
127 Posts
MPSS all the way. I've had mine for 5000 miles and that inclueds couple of track days, a road trip into europe (London - Italy and back via scenic route). and they still grip like they did when brand new.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I've got 7K miles from OEM Bridgstones on the fronts (inner edge worn). Backs still have a little life in them.

Vredstein Vorti R being fitted all round tomorrow/Thursday.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got 7K miles from OEM Bridgstones on the fronts (inner edge worn). Backs still have a little life in them.

Vredstein Vorti R being fitted all round tomorrow/Thursday.
Hi

Been looking at these as well - could you tell me the sizes you are putting on, price and where you are getting them? Many thanks

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also been looking at the MPSS

Being Northern Ireland, probably a web buy and fitting afterwards, so was hoping someone who has bought over the web recently on a good deal could share together with the sizes for front and rear.

With the MPSS I have been told 275 / 35/ 20 front and 305 / 30 / 20 rear?

Thanks all

·
Registered
919 Posts
The Dunlops (at least the MY11-13) are now pretty much the same price as MPSS, I have just replaced my original Dunlops at 13k miles and 4 years for just over £1200.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Dunlops (at least the MY11-13) are now pretty much the same price as MPSS, I have just replaced my original Dunlops at 13k miles and 4 years for just over £1200.
You got 13k miles from your original tyres??? Sheessh!

·
Registered
919 Posts
You got 13k miles from your original tyres??? Sheessh!
To be fair I lived in London for much of that time so the car was mainly driven on the Motorway but still I thought the tyres wore really well, hence buying a like for like replacement for one set of wheels.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To be fair I lived in London for much of that time so the car was mainly driven on the Motorway but still I thought the tyres wore really well, hence buying a like for like replacement for one set of wheels.
Aye, some of the roads where I live are not great and its 30mph mostly just for comfort - probably does not help the tyre wear.

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
You also run a 285 square MPSS setup. I've run that for 2+ years.

Have your alignment set for motorway. Minimum camber angle which reduces grip but increases tyre life. You'll never notice unless you really hoon it.

Reactions: RedRobert and AnilS

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
I put a set of MPSS on in Sept.2013 and 14,500 miles later they look hardly worn. I don't do track days just continental touring. I did have the track done and asked that they take off maximum camber on the rear. It handles fine for me.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Have your alignment set for motorway. Minimum camber angle which reduces grip but increases tyre life. You'll never notice unless you really hoon it.
Do you think Litchfields would adjust the camber this way, away from factory settings?

This is what I want.

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Do you think Litchfields would adjust the camber this way, away from factory settings?

This is what I want.
Nissan listed 3 geometry settings. Track, Fast Road, and Motorway with decreasing amounts of negative camber. More neg camber = more grip but increased tyre wear.

Litchfields will set up your car to your goals. So if max tyre life is the most important at the sacrifice of grip, then have them set your geometry to motorway.

Reactions: RedRobert and AnilS

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Thanks folks - this is really helpful.

Could someone explain the 285 "square" set up on MPSS???
You use square tyres not round.

Helps with parking.

Reactions: RedRobert

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
#JOKE

Means you have 285 sized tyres on every wheel rather than a staggered setup.

Reactions: RedRobert
1 - 20 of 27 Posts