GTR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There,
I relatively new to Skyline owenership (and its great:clap: ) I have a R33 GTR that is totally standard but have about 3k I could use to modify it. It needs to be 100% reliable as its my daily car.

So what mods should i do, brakes? Suspension? power???
Im thinking of uprating the brakes and suspension and maybe use whats left on the engine etc.

Suggestions please
Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
Exhaust system, de-cat, downpipe, induction kit, Power FC and a good map and you will see 400+ bhp and have some change!

Then maybe buy some coilovers?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I like your thinking Dave. It makes a nice change for someone to consider good brakes and decent suspension rather than more BHP. Good brakes and coilovers will set you back around £3000. If you don't need coilovers you could save a few quid. The rest of the money could go on a decat, downpipe, boost controller and induction kit. Lovely :)

·
Registered
318 Posts
gotta agree with steve there mate. the suspension on a gtr is quite stiff anyway. my car is 555bhp and i still have the standard brembo brakes, just uprated pads and it stops fairly well!! for 3k you should be able to take your power up to around 420bhp
exhaust
de-cat
power fc
boost controller
spark plugs
thats what i done and got 432bhp 321 torque

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers Guys,
Thanks for all info, apart from the Power FC any preferencies to makes for the other parts??
I know the names of most but If someone has a proven set up that comes up with about 380-400hp it would be great.

Thanks again

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
full exhaust, filter, reprogrammed ecu, boost controller is a proven 380 - 400 bhp.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
yup power first, controling the stopping distance is easy, don't press the loud pedal so hard !

·
Registered
108 Posts
Don't forget to replace the timing belt and fit adjustable cam gears at the
same time,they do make more power/better boost .:blahblah:

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
The basics

This list is from personal experience and biased for cost - you can get shinier/bigger, but the cost will escalate.

First:

ARC airbox or A'PEXi power intake induction.
HKS downpipes.
HKS Silent Hi-Power exhaust system.
HKS F-Con SZ piggybacked on your stock ECU.
GReddy PRofec B-Spec II boost controller.
Ferodo DS2500 brake pads all round.

Map at 0.8 bar of boost.

Second:

Tein Super Street suspension with top mounts and EDFC. Lower it about 30mm
18 x 10 alloys of your choice with 265/35 Falken FK452 tyres. Run 34psi front, 32psi rear.

Third:

Steel internal turbos, preferably R34 units.
Map at 1.2 bar of boost.

General:

Religiously have oil & filter changes every 3000 miles.
Always allow the turbos to cool after vigorous driving.

This set up should give you rock solid performance with little or no trouble.

Then stop for at least six months while you get used to the feel of it and work out what you would like to emphasise, what you would like to improve etc.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
763paf said:
SO TRUE..

many people dont do this and miss the joys of "growing" with the mods...
lol .. by the time i'd finished my journey back from abbey after having induction, downpipes, exhaust and decat fitted I knew I needed more power.:p

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
murano3 said:
lol .. by the time i'd finished my journey back from abbey after having induction, downpipes, exhaust and decat fitted I knew I needed more power.:p
Too true. These cars just never seem to feel like they have enough power. A pair of GT-SS turbos and 550bhp goes like you expect a Skyline to go.

But you still want more.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Translation

vennuth said:
Too true. These cars just never seem to feel like they have enough power. A pair of GT-SS turbos and 550bhp goes like you expect a Skyline to go.

But you still want more.
Three maxed credit cards, a remortgage, a divorce, two pending fraud cases and I've still only got 550 horse. :p

Sorry for the hijack but I couldn't resist. :chairshot

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
jae said:
Three maxed credit cards, a remortgage, a divorce, two pending fraud cases and I've still only got 550 horse. :p

Sorry for the hijack but I couldn't resist. :chairshot
Err... yeah... :nervous:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts