GTR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned my MY11 since Feb this year so have got no service experience so far – the car was freshly serviced as part of the deal for me buying it. I got a quote from Macklin Motors in Glasgow (nearest NHPC dealer – I’m up beside Aberdeen) of £580.85 for the service and £54.85 for the MOT.

I also asked them to price up a wheel alignment and engine airflow balance check plus a warranty/recall check – ideas taken from looking at Litchfield’s servicing sheet. They said all of that was included in the service anyway. I was told the 3yr service is basically just an oil, oil filter, air filter and pollen filter change though which I thought was a bit steep until they said the wheel alignment and engine balance was included. Transmission side of things is in the next service…

What are everyone’s thoughts? I’ve heard a lot about steep dealer prices but this doesn’t seem so bad – or am I just green around the gills and I am indeed getting ripped?

I did originally think about taking the car down to Litchfield’s for this work (and also get a couple of other things done – 1yr warranty, stage 2, stainless undertray bolt kit and new front discs/pads) but a lack of communication from them (they do seem very busy!) and a small time frame from my side means that I can’t spend a couple of days getting to them, it serviced and back home at the moment (well in Feb/Mar when the service is due). My thoughts are to get the service and MOT done then take a trip to Litchfield’s for the extra’s in the summer when I will have a bit more time on my hands…

With the car coming up to 3yrs old is there anything that I should be specifying other than a recall and warranty check? I guess I have a fear of something happening 2wks outside the warranty and being left with a huge bill!

Ta in advance…

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I would suggest taking it to an HPC (you are happy with) to get all the re-call work done as this should all be free or charge.

MOT and service, just take it to an independent as they are generally cheaper, but perhaps more importantly better service….? If you can co-ordinate the service/MOT with some upgrades or brakes etc then well worth it. Also if done before you are out of warranty, whichever independent you take it to can advise on anything that you should get “sorted” before the warranty expires.

Just give Litchfield a call rather than e-mail maybe?

·
Registered
919 Posts
My year 3 service and MOT is also coming up next year but I have the inclusive service plan and should only pay for the MOT.

Is it worth getting an independent e.g. Kaizer to take a look over to identify issues before the warranty expires? I don't really trust any NHPC to proactively identify issues under warranty.

Also is there a definitive list of recall issues for the MY11? I haven't seen anything re: common faults except for headlight fogging (one replaced under warranty).

Finally I do need my wheel alignment checked and adjusted. I thought this was part if the optimisation that happens during the service. Is this not the case?

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
I've owned my MY11 since Feb this year so have got no service experience so far – the car was freshly serviced as part of the deal for me buying it. I got a quote from Macklin Motors in Glasgow (nearest NHPC dealer – I’m up beside Aberdeen) of £580.85 for the service and £54.85 for the MOT.

I also asked them to price up a wheel alignment and engine airflow balance check plus a warranty/recall check – ideas taken from looking at Litchfield’s servicing sheet. They said all of that was included in the service anyway. I was told the 3yr service is basically just an oil, oil filter, air filter and pollen filter change though which I thought was a bit steep until they said the wheel alignment and engine balance was included. Transmission side of things is in the next service…

What are everyone’s thoughts? I’ve heard a lot about steep dealer prices but this doesn’t seem so bad – or am I just green around the gills and I am indeed getting ripped?

I did originally think about taking the car down to Litchfield’s for this work (and also get a couple of other things done – 1yr warranty, stage 2, stainless undertray bolt kit and new front discs/pads) but a lack of communication from them (they do seem very busy!) and a small time frame from my side means that I can’t spend a couple of days getting to them, it serviced and back home at the moment (well in Feb/Mar when the service is due). My thoughts are to get the service and MOT done then take a trip to Litchfield’s for the extra’s in the summer when I will have a bit more time on my hands…

With the car coming up to 3yrs old is there anything that I should be specifying other than a recall and warranty check? I guess I have a fear of something happening 2wks outside the warranty and being left with a huge bill!

Ta in advance…
I would give Iain a call and chat to him, they transported my car down for me, then once the work was done I got a flight down to pick it up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would give Iain a call and chat to him, they transported my car down for me, then once the work was done I got a flight down to pick it up.
That's pretty handy actually, saves you the trouble of finding a way to get back there to pick it up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts