GTR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Can anybody list the pros and cons opting for 4.1 final drives on my diff? I currently have 3.5's I think (r34 gtr stock diff)...

Ultimately I'm after more response and acceleration from my gtr.

Many thanks

·
Registered
167 Posts
Someone's been watching videos about the Mines 34...

You get more down low pickup and torque you'll need to upgrade your transmission for and lose top end speed.

TBH the 34's getrag is really designed with a sixth gear for sitting at 200km/h on autobahns and the like. With speed limits in NZ at 110km/h in some and 100km for most, a diff downgrade (the Mines cars use diffs sourced from GTS-4's) is something I've considered - i literally never use sixth gear.
If you can stomach or build with this in mind go for your life - though with any mods like this if you're wanting to keep resale value up I'd leave it alone. :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
I've just had a friend do this conversion on his R34 GTR, here in Aus. There are some complications with the 4wd system and you'll need to get your speedo re calibrated. The car has picked up a lot of response but the owner did say he has had to change the way he drives as he's needing to shift gears mid corner now, where he didn't have that issue before. Sometimes he can be in a higher gear for the corners, on other corners if he's in a higher gear the car drops out of boost. I'll ask him for some Pro's and Cons

·
Registered
167 Posts
Mid corner-shifting isn't necessarily a bad thing - if you can do it smoothly! The AWD system really helps when you do need to though as you can use the throttle and torque control to grip and go (GT-R tricks 101 i know)
It makes total sense he'd need to shift more, though I dare say that sixth gear is likely way more useful hahaha!
One thing i've had commented, by a buddy who had a 32R, was that the six speed box allowed better control of acceleration through corners. He said that he struggled to keep his 32 in the right gear and held at the right rpm in longer corners with the five speed in his car. I get what he was driving at, but I personally think that was more to do with his peaky N1 turbo build than the gearing!

Anyhow, keen to hear the results so if he does do the swap please get a lap time and a 0-100 time before and after..
...and no i don't just wanna see a cool vid comparing, it'll help with your own research too!! Promise!!! XD

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've done this to my 34 and its awesome, one of the best mods I've done.

Factory diff ratio is 3.7 iirc and now its 4:1.

makes the whole car feel better / lighter / faster & much more responsive at all speeds, plus 6th get plenty of use. top speed is now much more sensible too

1 - 6 of 6 Posts