GTR Forum banner

121 - 140 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has been able to locate a source for the connectors? Enabling individuals to make a plug-in harness?

Thanks.

Just to update the thread I managed to put together this harness with some help from Protegimus (top guy :thumbsup:).

Brought 8 x 1N4001 and 2 x 180ohm 2W resistors, some shrink wrap, some used speaker cables from my local stereo guy, borrowed a soldering iron and even solder from my friend and just like magic, managed to build the harness.

NOTE: I'VE NEVER SOLDERED IN MY LIFE! ALSO I CAN ONLY DO THE SIMPLEST DIY'S LIKE CHANGING A LIGHT BULB.

CAUTION: IF YOU DO DECIDE TO DO IT, MAKE SURE YOU ARE NOT IN A RUSH AND DOUBLE CHECK EVERYTHING. I TOOK MY SWEET TIME AND DOUBLE CHECKED WITH PEOPLE THAT KNOW SOMETHING ABOUT ELECTRICAL WIRING.

I followed the last diagram posted by Protegimus and prepared the wiring harness in the office before going to the car to connect up to the loom. For us idiots in electronics, make sure that you have the diodes facing the correct way.

Ossie cossie, Protegimus and all those that contribute to the DIY :thumbsup::thumbsup: You guys are champs!!!

Cost me like $2.50GBP in materials, a little time (actually 7 days :p) and some courage. Cutting those 2 cables I had to hold my breath. :D

Skills needed:

1. Can splice a cable - Practice with some spare speaker cable if you need.
2. Can read the diagram posted
3. Can do a little soldering (youtube is very useful for this :p)

To disassemble the rear I followed this link:

Hooking up the DIY harness I used tape instead of soldering as I do not have power points in my underground car park. I just twisted the wires together and taped them tightly together. (you get a sore back working on the rear)

·
Registered
155 Posts
would be nice to have the connectors. I did ask the electronics store where I picked up the materials, but they needed some p/n so no luck for me.:shy:

·
Registered
223 Posts
i did some research on the net and found these.

I dont know what ones they are, or even if they are the right ones think they are sumitomo conectors, i down loaded the cataloge will fid out more info later. off to work now (night shift)

·
Registered
4 Posts
good thread, thanks a lot!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just read through this, do all the kits on the market light up all 4(5) rear lights when the brake is pressed with no sidelights on? With the outside dimmer than the inside?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Great thread with lots of good info.

.....just did mine, got the parts from Maplin's and took me about 2hrs total to do the job from start to finish.

Total cost was £2.64 !!

Very happy.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Great thread with lots of good info.

.....just did mine, got the parts from Maplin's and took me about 2hrs total to do the job from start to finish.

Total cost was £2.64 !!

Very happy.
Did u make a plug-in / removal cable? If so do you have the plug / socket part details from Maplin?

·
Registered
924 Posts
Did mine it works just that when i step brake with the lights off the front headlight also light up any solution to this?
I think you may have the diodes round the wrong way.

Check with a tester.

Current must flow to the light unit not back, assuming you made your own as I did.

Hope that helps.

Satan.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Resistor Wattage

As an addendum to my original post containing the schematics and with a big thanks to ossie cossie for figuring out the correct (180ohm) resistor value, the following diagram gives the correct wiring to allow all four tail lights as sidelights; brakes lights remain high intensity on the two inner (original) lights and the third high level spoiler light, plus optionally operate as four brake lights (with outers at normal intensity) when the sidelights are switched off:
View attachment 6293

Bit of advice during installation - the plugs undo easily once the retainer is unclipped, press down on the central retainer with a small (4mm) flat blade screwdriver then pull the harness out:
View attachment 6289

Standard connector pinout - I used 1N4001 diodes. The feed from the brake lights to the tails lights (diodes A & B for four brake lights with sidelights off, which is optional) is already spliced:
View attachment 6290

Now the brake light feed is cut ready to splice in the 180ohm metal film resistor and diodes C & D:
View attachment 6292
Heat shrink insulates and supports the soldered in components - it is only a few pence and much better than insulation tape. Cut to length and borrow your Mrs. hairdryer to shrink:
View attachment 6291

Protegimus
Thanks. Very useful post. What should be the wattage for the resistor?

·
Registered
754 Posts
180ohm 0.6W metal film resistor is fine.

Protegimus

·
Registered
51 Posts
Anyone been able to confirm (Part numbers) or source the Rear light loom connectors?

Looking to make a plug'n'play connector with the ability to revert to standard configuration if desired.

Thanks.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Anyone know if do luck sorted the problem out with their kit? Fitted one last year to mine and everything lit up except what was supposed too...

121 - 140 of 155 Posts