GTR Forum banner

4 Led Rear lights

83K views 154 replies 64 participants last post by  barry P. 
#1 ·
Hello all,
I have been looking for a conversion kit to convert my GTR to have all four LED rings light up with the side lights - and I know that there is a Zele kit and an MCR kit - but they seemed to be a bit pricey for me.
So while bored yesterday I thought how hard can it be?
I removed the rear plastic panels which allowed me to gain access to the back of the lights.
Armed with a multi-meter I set about locating the tail light positive feed on the plug from the car loom - which is easy to do as you can leave the tail lights on while probing with the meter until I got a positive voltage. I turned off the tail lights and using the wife - I got her to press the brake pedal until I got the wire with the voltage.

Using two cheap diodes I spliced into the car's loom one diode inline with the brake wire - with the triangle symbol facing towards the lights. Using the other diode I bridged the tail light wire and the brake wire (after the first diode in the brake wire) with the triangle symbol facing the brake wire. I used heat shrink tubing to cover my soldering and a insulated the lot with tape.

I repeated the same on the other side - and it works
I have used the car for several hours and the diodes do not get hot - the brake lights work - and the four tail lights work - so far so good.

I have a wiring diagram - but I cannot up load it for some reason.
The diodes are 1n4001 diodes which are pennies from Maplins. The down side is that I have had to modify the cable as the connectors on the car look very bespoke.

hope that it helps someone !!
Shaun

See less See more
#3 ·
4 LED

the tail lights light up all four rear LED rings - but when the brake pedel is pressed the two inner rings glow brighter than the outer rings along with the brake light under the rear spoiler

I dont understand why I cannot post an image of the wiring diargram on this forum - it says at the bottom left that I cannot.

if you PM me your email address I can send the diagram

regards
Shaun

#4 ·
the tail lights light up all four rear LED rings - but when the brake pedel is pressed the two inner rings glow brighter than the outer rings along with the brake light under the rear spoiler

I dont understand why I cannot post an image of the wiring diargram on this forum - it says at the bottom left that I cannot.

if you PM me your email address I can send the diagram

regards
Shaun
pm me too

#7 ·
4 LED lights

Hi - there is a cable that come from the light cluster into a plug and socket.
I found it a bit tricky to access the wires from the connector back to the cars's loom, so I unwound the insultation back and the corrogated tube until I had enough to splice into on the cable that went from the connector to the rear light cluster.

I cut the cables that I needed so that I could slide on some heat shrink . I stipped the ends and connected the diodes and then soldered them together.

I used solder as I have had cables break apart in the past.

regards
Shaun

#10 ·
For the cack handed amongst us, in case anyone is wondering about kits that are cheaper than the Zele and MCR ones, GTC do a plug and play 4 light kit for around £100, which uses the standard connectors. Even I managed to fit it, so it must be foolproof.

#13 ·
4 LED lights

Dear all,

the rear lights are identifed as a green cable with a red line in it
the brake lighrs are identided as green cable with a yellow line in it.

All in all I reckon it cost me £5 as I needed to get two differant sizes of heat shrink - thus a massive saving on the plug n play units.

It can be very quickly reverted to normal as I inserted a small lenght of cable So I can easily cut / unsolder and return to normal.

regards
Shaun

#16 ·
4 LED lights

To have the four lights go bright under breaking - I would move the Diode that bridged the brake and tail lights togther and replace with a piece of wire.

the diode that was moved to go in line the tail light light the brake diode.
This will prevent the sidelights coming on when you brake during the day.
I would keep the diode inthe brake line so that when the car has side lights on - the four rings light up. But when the brakes are applied the four rings will glow brighter along with the top level brake light

regards
Shaun

#20 · (Edited)
Tested this today on a '59 plate GT-R and I observed that as soon as voltage was applied (via diode) from the rear light (green/red) circuit to the brake light (green/yellow, post brake light circuit diode cathode) the brake light illuminates with high intensity, schematic:
Four tail light cluster
Text Line Diagram Font Parallel

Did you have to do anything else to get the brake (inner) lights to illuminate with the same (normal) intensity as the rear lights?

Although it was not was I was aiming for, four brake lights do work and it looks cool, schematic:
Four brake light cluster
Text Line Product Font Diagram

Protegimus

#21 ·
This didn't work on my 59 plate , the outer lights i think must have some built in resistors to reduce the voltage, so the inner lights just light up as brake lights when wired to above diagram. I am removing the bumper on saturday to fit park distance control so i can see if we can tap into the reduced power on the outer lights.

Graham

#33 ·
Does anyone have a photo of the kit with side lights on and another with brake lights on too?

I want to do this mod, but want the four rings to be the same brightness.
Saw a GT-R with all four lights on going up the road a few weeks ago (not braking) and the inner ones looked brighter.

I'm after an idea as to how much brighter and the difference between brakes on and off when other lights are on.

So it's mainly a looks thing and a safety thing.

#34 ·
All the kits are the same. I think the reason the inner 2 appear brighter is because they are closer together than they are in the larger outer 2 rings, so the light is more concentrated, although not actually shining brighter if you follow.

They all light up just the inner 2 and the high level in the spoiler under braking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.