GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a week,i dont want to go into too much detail but basically i bought a car drove it 300 miles the oil pump went and done loads of damage.

i paid for a rebuild collected the car drove it home (300 miles) and the turbos died.

i bought 2 new turbos drove nearly 300 miles an they have died again.

im not having a good skyline ownership experience

third time lucky i hope,its going into a local garage tomorrow to be thoroughly checked over.

i know its oil starvation but i need to know where from.

and garrett gt2860's arent cheap :eek:

they must be loving me down at turbo dynamics

·
Registered
264 Posts
If my turbo's would have died, I would find the reason they died first.
Check the oil feed, and return lines. and did you use an oil restrictor?
Maybe an oil restrictor was used when it shouldn't?

Just make sure that you have a descent oil flow to your turbo's and back it to the sump..

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Sort out the oil feed problem before you fit any more turbo's John, you are throwing good money after bad mate :(

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the rebuild was a full one,and dont worry the oil problem is being looked into.

a mechanical gauge in the block to make sure its coming out ok.

then the pipes will be fully sorted,im going to fit a set of standard turbos if i get past the magic 300 mile barrier,then its another set of 2860's

i will update this post when i find out what has caused the problems.

·
Registered
328 Posts
ah man sorry on your troubles can you not get the seller to fix this or send it back, you have had nothing but problems with this car, hope you get it sorted

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
It's been recommended to replace many of the hard pipes (fuel, oil, vacuum, etc) that encircle the engine with new hoses. Had a fuel leak that was driving me crazy with wicked pungent fuel fumes (still can't smell anything much!) that we traced to a hard pipe having been bent a bit. It messed up the fuel flow and trashed the stock fuel hoses in between the hard pipes, so we just bagged the works and ran new hoses from the fuel filter to the fuel regulator.

I'd visually inspect every millimeter of the oil feeds and returns on the turbos.

Also, what oil pump did you put in? How's your overall oil pressure? Are you driving an R32 with the short crankshaft drive nose?

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it has a jun oil pump fitted,oil pressure is 6 bar cold 4 bar hot.

a r33gtr crank was fitted when the engine was rebuilt ive talked to the seller over the weekend and we are going to work something out.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
your overall oil system is spot on. Gosh, fill us in on what turns up in the oil system going to and from the turbos.

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Blimey John, not good! Whatever the problem is have the turbos inspected (by someone else if you prefer) to make sure the rebuild was up to spec and also check what is causing it in the first place. Good luck!

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the garage got the turbos off today so i went down for a look.

when the car is cranked over with the turbos off oil is coming out the the oil pipes.so am i right in thinking the pipes are ok ?

i was hoping one would be blocked :rolleyes:

i welcome any input.

cheers john

·
Administrator
31,885 Posts
John,

Did you ever discover the cause of your troubles?

my brother has been through 4 turbo's in a similar period of time.

first pair the front turbo oil seal blew (steel units), second set the rear turbo has simlpy gone loose and is fouling the housing (low mileage 34 units)

he's tearing his hair out, skint, and thoroughly ****ed off.

desperatly need a FREE pair of turbo's for him to fit for the guy who's buying his car (knows about the turbo issues)

any input?

mook

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
might be an oil overpressure problem, needing restrictors. If ball bearing turbos are weeping oil (or blowing the seals!) it may be that oil line restrictors are called for. I know that Garrett BB turbos don't want to see more than 2 bars oil pressure, and aftermarket pumps like the JUN or Tomei easily run 6~7 bars.

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
might be an oil overpressure problem, needing restrictors. If ball bearing turbos are weeping oil (or blowing the seals!) it may be that oil line restrictors are called for. I know that Garrett BB turbos don't want to see more than 2 bars oil pressure, and aftermarket pumps like the JUN or Tomei easily run 6~7 bars.
Tweenierob fitted the Tommie pump to the Lemon's new engine the pressure is off the clock we read 11 bar with a dip of the throttle.

·
Registered
303 Posts
could be worth while fitting an inline filter to the turbo feed line.

whats the condition of the rubber (on the inside) of the feed line? a mates race car kept blowing turbo's, found out the braided rubber hose had degraded and the rubber was breaking up, blocking everything up. they've now changed to teflon lined lines, problem fixed.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Tweenierob fitted the Tommie pump to the Lemon's new engine the pressure is off the clock we read 11 bar with a dip of the throttle.

good lord! My new Tomei pump just arrived yesterday - what oil are you using ****?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts