GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 93 r33 spec 1 gts. Iv had a hks duel dragger exhust an de cat with a larger turbo down pipe fitted at abby. Iv also had irridium sparkies fitted. Thing is i want about 450hp out of the car, but not really sure how to go about it. Abby says to just buy a GTR but i like the tail happy fun an a GTR is too expensive!! My 5 year goal is 650hp at the wheels. But i want 400 as quick as i can!! With the present mods iv notice a power increase (noticeable but not as much as i wanted) but it also has a misfire at about 5000rpm(this is why i had the sparkies done).
Iv been told some things not sure wot to believe. Id like a new ecu so i can bin the afm (this is wot i was told, ecu not need afm). Is it possiable on the standard turbo. Would a GTR front mount intercooler fit (standard gts is puny small ting:( lol). But specs an order of mods would really help. Also i want to improve the handleing because i think it is alot to be desired, also ideas on breaks and alloy sizes would be nice. I already have 17s by 9.5 on back and by 8.5 on front.
Thanks any help and advice will be much needed, thanks:)

·
Real men use a H-Pattern.
12,028 Posts
Crail loser, JasonO etc should be able to give you some insight into what is required. No doubt they will be along shortly.

·
Registered
720 Posts
HI

Ok basically you wil need the following to get abt 400ish

1.3mm headgasket (or higher)
uprated cams (e.g tomei 256deg )
Uprated Turbo (e.g steel 1.3 bar capable)
GTR fuel pump
R32 GTR clutch (or better than standard as thats only rated to 300bhp)
Power FC (or uprated ECU)
Induction Kit (e.g ive got apexi induction kit)
Boost controller (e.g ive got apexi power fc boost controller)
Uprated injectors (ive got 550cc)
FMIC (ive got hybrid FMIC)

Off top of my head these are other bits on my car bat super dragger exhaust and hks downpip etc

Oh and id recommend uprating your brakes too

Andy

P.s Mapping will also be needed
P.P.s and lots of cash :)

Oh and if your wantign to get the power down id sort the suspension also (ive got KPMG race suspesnion on mine but whiteline are highly recommended also)

Marc did the work on my car and recommend him greatly :)

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mmmmm........ how much are we talkin for these mods. Or is it a case of shopin around. Would i need a front mounted intercooler, or more to the point a bigger 1 to replace the standard intercooler. Who is this Marc person, iv been takeing it to abby so far (bit expensive, but i trust them on recommendation, so other recommendations would be good!!:) ) Is NOS a good way to go or not. Not sure about the gas!! Too boy racer i think. What companys am i bets to get things like tubos from and ECU's.

The Skyline has really got me tho, id never swap it for any other car. Its so fun and im tryin to improve on that:)

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Around 5k minimum if you pay someone else to do it. I have that sort of power. Stock bottom end with decent rod bolts, big FMIC (front mounted intercooler) lowered compression (the car runs a very high compression for a turbo car as it's a low boost, early spooling turbo set up as stock), bigger injectors, mappable ecu (Power FC on mine), bigger turbo (mine is Apexi RX-6 on remote wastegate Apexi manifold), bigger fuel pump, modified oil breather system, Apexi hydraulic cams, lots of mapping, decent fuel, twin plate clutch, Extras over and above 5K are proper LSD, decent brakes, radically modded suspension, blah blah. God knows what mine would have cost if I'd bought all the bits new, and had had to pay someone else to do all the work. FAR FAR more than a well modded GTR that's for sure.

Next step is a full weld in cage (the shell is as floppy as a wet paper bag), then a pukka RB26 all steel GTR engine. Then I'll probably have to put it in a GTR shell, as 700 hp is too much for a 2wd road car based machine :) I just like doing silly things....

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Start points are a mappable ecu and drop the compression. Power FC is cheapest worthwhile ecu (very basic, but good enough for what you want to do). YOU MUST drop the compression, a 1.8 mm Cometic, or Tomei or HKS head gasket is a quick and dirty way to do it. A stock gasket and machined pistons is the best way. You see used PowerFC's for sale, don't even THINK of a used head gasket!! You really should do all this n one hit, as mapping the ecu isn't cheap, a GOOD mapper will charge 300 a day mimimum. I reckon 2 days to half decently map a Power FC that doesn't have a good base map in it top start with..And i forgot, you will need a bigger Air Flow Meter, too, the stock one runs out of resolution far too early for your HP goals.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If i put a complete new ecu on will i still need the af meter, iv been told it wont need one if i put a good ecu on. This is really appriciated all this information. I think i better get on with my price checking lol. I need 2 new tires for the back as they are VERY low. Got any recommendations, Iv got pirreli p6000 on and they are rubbish, no grip atall

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Chris Wilson said:
Next step is a full weld in cage (the shell is as floppy as a wet paper bag), then a pukka RB26 all steel GTR engine. Then I'll probably have to put it in a GTR shell, as 700 hp is too much for a 2wd road car based machine :) I just like doing silly things....

Chris the Do-Luck rear torsion set for the GTR fits straight in, its light and does wonders to patch up the wet paper bag :) Also it still leaves loads of room with just a small amount lost at the B pillar.

Also 700bhp was fine on the road ..... nah it wasnt really but it was fun ;)

We set a limit of 380 - 440bhp for our road going cars now, its enough, after that you have to be carefull in every gear not just the first 3 ;) :p

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
SklyaFett said:
I got a 93 r33 spec 1 gts. Iv had a hks duel dragger exhust an de cat with a larger turbo down pipe fitted at abby. Iv also had irridium sparkies fitted. Thing is i want about 450hp out of the car, but not really sure how to go about it. Abby says to just buy a GTR but i like the tail happy fun an a GTR is too expensive!! My 5 year goal is 650hp at the wheels. But i want 400 as quick as i can!! With the present mods iv notice a power increase (noticeable but not as much as i wanted) but it also has a misfire at about 5000rpm(this is why i had the sparkies done).
Iv been told some things not sure wot to believe. Id like a new ecu so i can bin the afm (this is wot i was told, ecu not need afm). Is it possiable on the standard turbo. Would a GTR front mount intercooler fit (standard gts is puny small ting:( lol). But specs an order of mods would really help. Also i want to improve the handleing because i think it is alot to be desired, also ideas on breaks and alloy sizes would be nice. I already have 17s by 9.5 on back and by 8.5 on front.
Thanks any help and advice will be much needed, thanks:)
Lots to think about here mate.:confused:

Firstly, you don't need a FMIC to get the sort of power your looking for. An uprated GTR one that fits under the wing will do. Greddy do a very nice one!:) Though from you posts, you seam to like the idea of that big mesh grin on the car.:eek:

The boys have pritty much covered it, I'd go for 1.6mm gasket, injectors 555's minimum, bigger AFM the Z32 is the way to go. Power fc and a good map. Your turbo will need to be upgraded also.

As regards the handling, you can't go past the Nismo S-tune IMHO.:D

Brakes need some looking at also, upgrade to GTR fronts with FD2500 pads and braded hoses all round. That will stop you when you have all the extra power!:rolleyes:

I'm with you on the GTS-t v's GTR issue. I much prefer the GTS-t, 'cos it's rear wheel drive only. They have better pick and..............well lets not start that one again.;)

Have a good look about with the search button, there are loads of similar threads on this topic. A lot of information will be on there.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Andy Hornsby said:
Firstly, you don't need a FMIC to get the sort of power your looking for. An uprated GTR one that fits under the wing will do. Greddy do a very nice one!:) Though from you posts, you seam to like the idea of that big mesh grin on the car.:eek:

Brakes need some looking at also, upgrade to GTR fronts with FD2500 pads and braded hoses all round. That will stop you when you have all the extra power!:rolleyes:

The GTR intercooler is a front mounted unit not an under wing unit like the GTSt

The pads you are after as DS2500 not FD2500

Whats up with you Andy :D not like you m8, you sleeping ;)

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Crail Loser said:
The GTR intercooler is a front mounted unit not an under wing unit like the GTSt

The pads you are after as DS2500 not FD2500

Whats up with you Andy :D not like you m8, you sleeping ;)
Sorry, brains not working today................lack of sleep guys. Three nights with only about 2 hours total. I'm F****D!:( :( Not to worry, early finish today, 14:30hrs so I'll sone be off to bed!....................or should I go on the p*ss first? That might be an idea you know!!

The intercooler is indeed a GTS-t one. It's rated at that of a GTR...........I think? Maybe I'm going totally mad!:confused:

Anyway, it does the job.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the info, got alot to think about now!! Just got back from a 500mile drive in the skyline. It really is a great car!!!!!!! Think im in love lol:). I think my thirst for power is worse than ever!! My thoughts were to start buying parts now and to keep them till 2007 till i have all the parts needed an fit it all at the same time. The breaks are my main consern tho, even with 280bhp they are not up to stoppin the car very well. I am a bit of a heavy breaker tho lol. What is the rule for FMIC's, bigger is better or is that not the case. Turbo wise i want some thing that will do 500+bhp, if i want more so i don't have to upgrade the turbo again. Is it worth looking into re-coned turbos or is buying new better?

Life without my skyline would not be worth liveing :) lol

1 - 20 of 31 Posts