GTR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Alcon 380mm's on the front are done, lots of cracks around the crescents.
Been looking at options for a while as I knew they would need doing soon, tempted by the 400mm setup, I dont tack the car but after seeing how the aftermarket Alcons have cracked to hell even though the discs are not that worn I would rather go for a better setup.
I tend to do all my own work when I can, I dont see changing the discs and pads on the gtr as a massive task but have heard there is some minor alterations to the mounting for the 400mm setup, anyone on here had any experience with putting this kit on? also I presume there is a specific pad I need?
Also if anyone knows the best price on the parts for these that would help me out :cool:

Cheers

J

·
Registered
924 Posts
Been looking at options for a while as I knew they would need doing soon, tempted by the 400mm setup, I dont tack the car but after seeing how the aftermarket Alcons have cracked to hell even though the discs are not that worn I would rather go for a better setup.
I tend to do all my own work when I can, I dont see changing the discs and pads on the gtr as a massive task but have heard there is some minor alterations to the mounting for the 400mm setup, anyone on here had any experience with putting this kit on? also I presume there is a specific pad I need?
Also if anyone knows the best price on the parts for these that would help me out :cool:

Cheers

J
Hi Reedy

I did my own change to the 400mm front, 380mm rears with Pagid RS29's about 4 weeks ago before leaving to do the Petrolheads Nivrana Alpine assault South 2014.

Litchfield's also put the Castrol SRF in at the service a few weeks before that.

No big deal to change the set-up, took me 5 hours for all 4 corners, done properly. Just watch the spacing and placement of the callipers as they can rub the disks as the disks expand and need callipers re-positioned.

I had several times over the 3000 miles when the brakes seemed to warp and shake the wheel either when hot or when cooling down. They seemed to just sort themselves out next time they got hot and all is well with them now.

Having said that, I will strip and inspect them when back off holiday and measure the wear after 3000 hard miles but I'm guessing 50% of pads gone but with no apparent wear on the disks. No fade whatsoever but surprisingly a slight softening of the pedal when very hot but soon returned on cooling. (I think perhaps they were not sufficiently cleared of the old brake fluid and the old left in boiled a bit).

If you want to chat it through, PM me and I'll give you my number and a full appraisal. (Too lazy to type all the details)

Hope that helps

Satan.

·
Premium Member
3,024 Posts
It doesn't sound as if these are really bad. Alcon's will crack in places but normally like crazy paving hair line cracks - that is normal. If the cracks are substantial and actually go right through the disc at the top (visually you can take the wheels off and inspect the two tops of each disc), then they will need replacing.

Obviously, as was in my case, you could actually see the cracks move as you applied pressure, then replace.

If in doubt, post up some photographs.

Cheers

J

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol, just found out I cant post images or links till I have a 15 post count.... bugger.

Have been chatting with SVM about getting them changed, probably now gonna just go for some standard 380mm because I noticed my fronts tyres are completely scrubbed out on the inside so now I have to get 4 new tyres too! Anyway, with regards to the brakes i'm just worried about something happening, also I've got the annoying dinner plate rattle but from the front... not the rears which seems odd, not sure whats causing that but figured that getting the brakes done should solve it to a certain extent.

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
also I've got the annoying dinner plate rattle but from the front... not the rears which seems odd, not sure whats causing that...QUOTE]

The rattle is probably the top pins.

With the car stationary give the tyre wall a couple of firm thumps with the base of your fist and you should hear the same rattle. Easily resolved by removing, greasing and refit. Usually experienced on newer cars, if you leave it long enough it will stop as the the pins seize with a bit of grime and corrosion

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
lol, just found out I cant post images or links till I have a 15 post count.... bugger.

Have been chatting with SVM about getting them changed, probably now gonna just go for some standard 380mm because I noticed my fronts tyres are completely scrubbed out on the inside so now I have to get 4 new tyres too! Anyway, with regards to the brakes i'm just worried about something happening, also I've got the annoying dinner plate rattle but from the front... not the rears which seems odd, not sure whats causing that but figured that getting the brakes done should solve it to a certain extent.

Sure your rattle isn't actually this Reedy?
http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/164792-clicking-front-wheels-sticky.html

Re N'ringGTR comment. My 400's are crazy paved too jfyi

·
Registered
902 Posts

Cheers

J
What year is your GTR?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts