GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to say that my MAP sensored RB26 on an M800 Motec ecu, with 2860 -10 turbos and 280 degree, 10.8 mm lift cams was transformed from simply very nice, with no surge, to stunning when I had Z axis mapping done (4 dimensional mapping) by a proper Motec trained expert mapper here in the UK. I use it pretty much solely as a track car, but even on track having clean as a whistle part throttle running and response has made it SO much better, and quicker. WELL worth pursuing to get the best out of a multi throttle turbo engine on a MAP sensor, in my opinion, I would never be satisfied with anything less now. I don't ever take notice of rolling road power figures, so I never quote figures from them, but the stop watch doesn't lie and nor does the fuel gauge :)

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Motec FTW!!

It's a way superior ECU, it's just the expense that puts people off. Except those muppets that think "it's HKS so it must be the best", especially as their tuner talked them into it because he can't map a Motec ECU. I often wonder, why people spend all those 1,000's of pounds on a build and then scrimp on the ECU, it makes the whole exercise pointless. You buy the best internals you can afford, so why not buy the best ECU to make the most of what you've got?

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
I would love to have a Motec M800 running my car. BTW how much are they Chris? does the price include the mapping session? if not, is the mapping session the same cost as, lets say, HKS F-Con?

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Pupsi, I'd love to see one of Rob's RB30's with a Motec ECU and mapped by someone that knows what he is doing.

Just out of interest Chris, did Dave Rowe map it?

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know the current price on an M800, I have had it years and have used it in a couple of different cars. You can buy a base ecu and by paying for a release code you can enable options as required. Yes, they are dear, but here is why I wouldn't buy anything else:

Real time free phone support form Motec UK. A raft of competent mappers familiar with the units and software.. Proper printed manuals. On line access to a whole sea of information on sensors, wiring, injector lag times, you name it. Great re-sale value. Free software updates for the life of the ecu series. A global resource of info from users only too happy to assist. Their own active and supported forum for technical issues and chat.

I have 2 full A4 lever arch files with seminars, tuning tips and set up info I have downloaded from Motec. Name many other ecu's with that kind of support :) Plus they are a quality product.

I made my own adaptor patch loom to come off the stock engine loom and connector, but you can buy one ready done from Motec if you want. I am always amazed how much people will spend on engine parts and building, fancy wheels, body kits and paint jobs, without batting an eyelid, yet you suggest £3k+ on an ecu and mapping and they look at you as if you are mad.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I will ask what everyone is thinking - what do you mean by `Z` axis mapping?

Any 3D map, for fuel & ignition for example, have X, Y & Z axis. Do you mean time based corrections?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Just to say that my MAP sensored RB26 on an M800 Motec ecu, with 2860 -10 turbos and 280 degree, 10.8 mm lift cams was transformed from simply very nice, with no surge, to stunning when I had Z axis mapping done (4 dimensional mapping) by a proper Motec trained expert mapper here in the UK. I use it pretty much solely as a track car, but even on track having clean as a whistle part throttle running and response has made it SO much better, and quicker. WELL worth pursuing to get the best out of a multi throttle turbo engine on a MAP sensor, in my opinion, I would never be satisfied with anything less now. I don't ever take notice of rolling road power figures, so I never quote figures from them, but the stop watch doesn't lie and nor does the fuel gauge :)
4D tuning is standard practice when tuning multi throttle turbo.
And 5D and 6D in some applications.
Jason

·
Registered
659 Posts
Motec FTW!!

It's a way superior ECU, it's just the expense that puts people off. Except those muppets that think "it's HKS so it must be the best", especially as their tuner talked them into it because he can't map a Motec ECU. I often wonder, why people spend all those 1,000's of pounds on a build and then scrimp on the ECU, it makes the whole exercise pointless. You buy the best internals you can afford, so why not buy the best ECU to make the most of what you've got?
What makes it the best? You can not make good power or have good drivability with a Power FC? Or a Link or a Vipec... etc

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
I'd love to have a Motec. They are pricey - forget how much the dash display is but the wideband alone is $1500.

My problem is that I do my own mapping. Unless I fly out to seminars or training courses in Australia, there's no one that can really map a Motec around here.

So for the time being, it's Power FC. Simple, gets the job done, could be better in a lot of ways, but it's user-friendly in its programmability.

3,663 Posts
Chris,

any good Map based system will be able to run a 4th dimension trimming , like your doing with your Motec as regards Part throttle work. F-con does that with a throttle trim map as standard.

The main thing that makes your RB better than a car running a CAS is your using a Crank trigger and a phase sensor you get a far more consistent ignition siganl.

Your not the 1st I am afraid Chris.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
What makes it the best? You can not make good power or have good drivability with a Power FC? Or a Link or a Vipec... etc
The only area that the motec shines thru over the link is data logging.

For that reason alone I'd have the Motec. Finances allowing of course. Personally I'd rather have the ability to check the logs and see if the data suggests where things could be improved.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
just did a brief study of what this 4D business is all about.

Can someone elucidate for me why there are so many efforts to avoid/eliminate mass airflow sensors from an intake - either with MAP setups or even worse, an alpha-n? You spend a lot of time modeling and estimating air mass for given load, boost pressures, air temp, barometric pressure, throttle angle, you name it...while a MAF can simply just tell you an actual real-time value?

Is that hotwire sensor hanging down in the intake REALLY that bad; like a 20hp loss?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Toby,

Two reasons - intake restriction and cost of bigger MAF(s).

Getting a MAP based system to perform in a repeatable fashion is quite hard, particulary at low throttle openings; hence the additional functionality in `high end` ECU`s.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts