GTR Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I know my front drive is working properly? Is there a way to test that my centre clutch packs are not too worn etc?:nervous:

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
I usually test when it's raining. Rev to 6500rpm and dump the clutch, watch the torque needle max out :)

A more gentle way is to put the car on a lift and start "driving" - all four wheels should turn.

However, all of these are more or less "on or off" tests, I've no idea how to test if the clutch plates are slipping, not transferring enough torque, etc.

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
Ive had a recent problem with the awd not working. (all sorted now )
and AKAIK the clutch packs appear to either work 100% or not at all .

To test the awd jack the whole of the car up securely at the rear using a decent jack and making sure the jack wheels are pointing forward . Then pull away slowly . If the awd is working as soon as the rear wheels go round it will transfer the power to the front and the car will move .
Do it slowly and carefully - you dont need to be on anything more than minimal revs as the rear wheels will give the impression of spinning immeadiately.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I usually test when it's raining. Rev to 6500rpm and dump the clutch, watch the torque needle max out :)
I was going to suggest something similar (give it stick in the wet, see if it straightens via the front wheels), however the torque meter only indicates the signal the computer is sending, not the actual transmitted power measured.

To test the awd jack the whole of the car up securely at the rear using a decent jack and making sure the jack wheels are pointing forward . Then pull away slowly . If the awd is working as soon as the rear wheels go round it will transfer the power to the front and the car will move .
Do it slowly and carefully - you dont need to be on anything more than minimal revs as the rear wheels will give the impression of spinning immeadiately.
I think you also need to manually put some resistance (ie. your hand) otherwise it only shows that there is 'some drive'.
Example: consider a flogged out auto box, it will still turn the wheels with no load, but doesn't have enough 'grip' in the clutch packs to get the car going

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
I think you also need to manually put some resistance (ie. your hand) otherwise it only shows that there is 'some drive'.
Example: consider a flogged out auto box, it will still turn the wheels with no load, but doesn't have enough 'grip' in the clutch packs to get the car going
We are not talkng about autos which are different.

The above works and was how Abbey tested my AWD while I watched.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers RSVFOUR....That sounds like the go.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
We are not talkng about autos which are different.

The above works and was how Abbey tested my AWD while I watched.
But the awd systems transfer case uses clutch packs in the same fashion as auto boxes do.

I have been told previously when doing this test to put some resistance to the front wheels to test, but its no skin of my nose if you decide to do this or not.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
I'm not sure you've read the method correctly; front wheels are on the ground pulling the car along.

·
Registered
500 Posts
put the car on a lift and ride the brakes a bit while driving along. if your transfer case is good you can get the fronts going good as well as the backs. Like said before about the autobox, same principle with friction plates and pressure.

only one front wheel will spin unless you have an aftermarket front diff.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
dropping the clutch and launching hard in the rain does give an indication of front-wheel performance. The front wheels straighten out the car and keep the rear step-out to a predictable minimum, and the car should pull straight and true in 2nd gear, definitely by 3rd gear. With RWD only, the car will get very much out of sorts!

one note of warning though - on one occasion, my rain shenanigans jammed the transfer case which made the car shake like crazy as the entire driveline is all locked up. As told from others here, the solution is to stop the car, shut it off, then restart.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
you'd need grass. They don't have that in Seoul, they plant "concrete" in yards.

·
Premium Member
8,835 Posts
Grass man, wet grass is what you need, there must be a kids playing field around ! LOL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts