GTR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening chaps,

So I've searched around for info on responsive single turbos for our beloved RB26 engines. Found lots of info from like 7 to 18 years ago??

I can only assume the technology has moved on and the information in the older threads is obsolete??

From what I hear, nowadays a not so big single slug out performs the twins set up all day long? Is this true? My understanding was always that single turbos are crazy laggy...

So that being said, what single turbo would fit the bill for high response at about 500horses?

Many thanks

·
Premium Member
5,782 Posts
Been a while since I've properly looked at skyline turbos but in old money a small cover GTX30 would do that and have power to spare.

If there is a kit for the new garret G25 660 then that seems to be the hottest turbo for spool at the moment.

I run a pair of EFR7663 on my gtr which are good for 600bhp each. I guess one of those would be perfect. I suspect the new g25 will out spool it though.

I was always of the view that 600bhp is the point a skyline really comes alive. Any particular reason for sticking at 500bhp if going to the effort of a lovely single set up?

·
Premium Member
2,891 Posts
Been a while since I've properly looked at skyline turbos but in old money a small cover GTX30 would do that and have power to spare.

If there is a kit for the new garret G25 660 then that seems to be the hottest turbo for spool at the moment.

I run a pair of EFR7663 on my gtr which are good for 600bhp each. I guess one of those would be perfect. I suspect the new g25 will out spool it though.

I was always of the view that 600bhp is the point a skyline really comes alive. Any particular reason for sticking at 500bhp if going to the effort of a lovely single set up?
I think 550 is about the perfect power on a skyline to get a good blend of reliability and power without too much work. I think its more about the spool up and power delivery once your around that mark. If you've got a suspension setup that works then you can have a good amount of fun without any breakages.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks for the comments guys!

Mark - reason for why I'm thinking 500bhp is because I've been advised that this figure can be achieved with a healthy stock engine?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Just to throw a spanner in the works - It's certainly true that a decent, modern, single doesn't have many of the spooly drawbacks of yesteryear HOWEVER there are also new versions of twin setups available.
The HKS Kai range and new GTX 2 series are really awesome, as are the newer electric spool turbos too (though the electric spools are more mid to low power application)
Personally I'm a fan of the BW, Garret and HKS options for both twin and single setups but just remember it comes down to your own preferences and build goals.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts