GTR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got a new job so i can think of what im doing and one idea is sell my gts and buy a powerful r33/32 gtr ive had my eye on two but both are 500 bhp at the wheels but still very diffrent.is this power reliable and what sort of extra cost apart from service/fuel would there be?
i doubt il get the money in time but this is my list

peter everest r33 totb car

todds r32 rb30/25
or am i better going for a lightly modded one a work my way up?
also can it be made rwd using a controller for fun times?
oh and its 99% road car and the odd trackday

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Yes you can make it RWD either with a controller or by simply removing the 4WD fuse.

500bhp at the wheels will be approaching if not exceeding the factory gearboxes capacity for reliable use IMHO. At that sort of power you'd want to be changing oil on a more regular basis. The power IS relible but only if the car's serviced and taken care of on a regular basis.

Genereal concensus is that the factory internals will take up to circa 600bhp, however I'd say that running 500 at the flywheel is fairly safe but 500 at the wheels will be on the limit of engine internal tolerances. You'd probably be looking for rebuild using some nice forged/uprated bits and pieces. There's loads of info on the engine specs for different power outputs already on here - just use the SEARCH button.

If you can buy a car already done it's not as satisfying but it's damn sight cheaper!

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i would be looking at something like Peter Everett's car or something like that,i change the oil every 3000 miles as it is.also how much would it cost to get a standardish r33 gtr to around 500fbhp?im just think i can see me spending 10k easy on my gts and a well sort r33 gtr would be a better option.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I have had R33 and R34 GTR's over the years and 500 to 550 hp at fly wheel is very reliable on stock internals. However to run 500 at the hups in getting very close to the standard bottom ends limit. So if you want to fun these figures re build the bottom end with new crank,rods and pistons.

With regard to daily reliability, warm up the engine to 70 deg C oil temp before opening her up runn the engine down when shutting down, Do not over rev the crank max 7500 rpm, regular oil changes should result in maximum fun and minimise bills.

My first R33 GTR i ran from new for 3 years and put 86,000 miles on to it with out any bills running 480hp. My R34 GTR i ran for 65,000 miles over 30 months at similar hp with no bills except for servicing. Currently running 440 at the hubs again no major engine bills, except for turbo's and Pro V running stoke bottom end with 50,000 miles on it. ( i Do have serious bills on this car but not on the engine )

Hope this helps, remember if you are going to built this car for youself, build the car for more horse power and run it at 15 % less increasing its life expectancy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts