GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hello, i have a R32GTR and have a problem with a turbo SO i want to change some things.

What i have:
Haltech E11v2 ECU,
Tomei cams (260 with 9.1) and adj pullies
1000cc Siemans injectors,

What i need:
Turbo(s),
header(s),
Fuel pump,
FPR,
Oil Pump,
Etc

MY question:
I want 550wbhp ish, how do i acheive this without loosing the responsiveness of the standard set up? What turbo(s) do i need?

i'm changine the manifolds anyway is single the best route?!

looking at the t51r that seems good or the t78 that seems too laggy but what are the options?

Cheers

Sean

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
for that level of power you would do better with underslung twins, imho

·
Registered
832 Posts
A T51r, like your injectors, is somewhat overkill for those numbers. In a single, T04Z or GT4088R with a low a/r housing would be good...(.86??). If you lower your whp numbers slightly, a set of GT-SS would give the responsiveness of the stock turbos....

·
Registered
552 Posts
The GT-SS's would max out at about 460 -470 whp so you would have to consider GT-RS's if you feel the need for more power. The SS set up is extremly flexible and pulls from almost groun Zero.

·
Registered
492 Posts
T04Z HKS setup

Drives like a normal car until 4000rpm then rips your head off.:chuckle:

·
Registered
552 Posts
T40Z as you say rips your head off, My turbos are up and running while yous are still in bed!

Two smaller units are more effient for every day road use and let you exploit more oppertunities.

But you are right the T40Z is a great turbo, what you need is a V cam unit with it and then you would have the best set up!

·
Registered
492 Posts
T40Z as you say rips your head off, My turbos are up and running while yous are still in bed!

Two smaller units are more effient for every day road use and let you exploit more oppertunities.

But you are right the T40Z is a great turbo, what you need is a V cam unit with it and then you would have the best set up!
Interesting.
Never driven a car with similar to your setup but going from a pretty undrivable round town T78 to a T04Z its a totally different beast now.
May have to look into this.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
T40Z

not a T04Z?

·
Banned
7,219 Posts
...........or alernatively buy my T78 :D
he said he wanted response :chuckle:

at just 550 i think even a T4Z is a bit overkill, though it will do it a fairly low boost.

esp with longer duration cams, as when you go longer duration that moves the powerband up regardless.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
i'd go 28/60's on a standard bottom end

disco potatoes if you've increased capacity

·
Registered
646 Posts
c.525whp (630fwhp) achievable on twin HKS GT2530's, perhaps?
2540's?
I'm shooting as close as I can get to 480-500whp,(580-600fwhp) stock bottom end but not straining engine too much (not too high EGT or high revs).(Using HKS GT2530's)and hopefully will be very responsive without spending the money on lighter internals just yet.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
you'd need no more than 720cc to make up to 650 atfw

save yourself some money, forget 2530's go with 28/60's, as discussed widely on this forum

changing engine internals is done primarily to add strength to run higher boost levels. not really required for 550 atfw if done right
(alright forged pistons wouldn't hurt)

·
Registered
242 Posts
you'd need no more than 720cc to make up to 650 atfw

save yourself some money, forget 2530's go with 28/60's, as discussed widely on this forum

changing engine internals is done primarily to add strength to run higher boost levels. not really required for 550 atfw if done right
(alright forged pistons wouldn't hurt)
What i need:
Turbo(s),
header(s),
Fuel pump,
FPR,
Oil Pump,
Etc

MY question:
I want 550wbhp ish, how do i acheive this without loosing the responsiveness of the standard set up? What turbo(s) do i need?

i'm changine the manifolds anyway is single the best route?!

looking at the t51r that seems good or the t78 that seems too laggy but what are the options?

Cheers

Sean

He wants 550 at the tyres - not the engine. shooting for 550 on stock internals is more than i've seen them handle (this would = about 650 engine hp) best lower your quest for 550RWHP, or spend a LOT more on a forged and blueprinted engine.

the only way you are goign to get decent response from a big single, is increase capacity (like 3.0). just get a bosch 040 or HKS/TOMEI/NISMO etc high output intank fuel pump. you shoudl not need the FPR or oil pump!

personally I'm going to try and squeeze about 450RWHP from my internally stock RB26 (on limited occasions though!) I'm using HKS GT2530's as this keeps response up there. just look at the MINES R34 GTR :) that is not slow.

my recommendation - 2530's or the garrett 2860's (AKA - GT2530's :) ) stay with the low mounts and DON"T change your manifolds - the stockers are fine (you could have them match ported)

Cheers

Daniel

·
Registered
264 Posts
How do you like the halltech e11v2? I would choose this ecu too, and think it is verry good, but havent heard real reactions of people who run it in an RB26.. is it user friendly and nice to map?

and 2530's will be responsive and have little lag, mines runns such a setup right, and that car hasn't got much lag ;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
i'd go 28/60's on a standard bottom end

disco potatoes if you've increased capacity
Yep, call BNECustoms.com and ask for Eric.

I just purchased my GT2860R-5's from them.

These turbos have the same specs as the HKS 2530's.

The Garrett Part # is 707160-5, and they are good for 550 on pump gas, and around 600-650whp on race.

Here's a dyno graph of these turbos with Tomei Drop in 260/260 9.15 Poncams on a R33 GTR on 93 octane pump gas @19 PSI:

They were having ignition problems on this run, and you will too if you dont upgrade. I suggest the XS Engineering PowerPack...

Here's a much cleaner run, this is at 17 PSI, and no ignition problems at this boost level:

·
Registered
118 Posts
How do you like the halltech e11v2? I would choose this ecu too, and think it is verry good, but havent heard real reactions of people who run it in an RB26.. is it user friendly and nice to map?

and 2530's will be responsive and have little lag, mines runns such a setup right, and that car hasn't got much lag ;)
I'm going with the PowerFC D-Jetro, just for shear cost reasons and the fact it will handle my goal of <700whp just fine.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts