GTR Forum banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Loved the guy driving the Cossy, no overalls, no gloves, no helmet FFS. One hand on steering wheel - 200MPH, light fag, drive home!

Classic fast Ford!

·
Registered
771 Posts
you'd of thought they would of thought about at least checking the clutch when they had the engine out for the rebuild.

d'oh

FOR SALE:

Lotus Esprit V8 GT
Celebrity Car,
Full Service History,
Many New Parts,
Quick,
Needs Clutch,
One careful lady owner,
Private Plate,

Offers on £50,000 ono

:D

·
Registered
542 Posts
SteveN said:
So i take it you dont know anything about 300ZX tuning then? :confused:
Nope, not alot hence the question marks lol:D some dude i know claims hes got 400bhp and got 180mph out of it? it's around cheltenham its a red 300zx

·
Banned
7,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Claims is an appropriate word ;)
180mph on the CLOCK is probably 10-20mph less in real life, and even if it was 180mph real, its gonna be an M5 run, ie miles and miles, not 1.5miles from a standing start to a full stop.

Regardless of that, 300ZX tuning isnt cheap or easy, the main reason i didnt lest them (and why you dont see PROVEN mega fast 300ZX's in the UK).

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
If I was to be doing it. Aristo vertex for about £5k. Boost logic T78 kit with all the fitting kit and an AEM management system would be £10k at 5th gear prices. That'd be 600+ for £15k and you could watch a DVD as you come back down the strip and rely on the aircon to keep you warm on the run.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
With the smaller T67 kit on a Supra I know of high 160's after 3/4 mile. It's possible.

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Funny how easy people reckon this is when (I think) only 2 cars have bettered 200mph at TOTB. I know Brunters is a quarter of a mile longer but I reckon you'd need 700+ bhp in any 'normalish' weight car to get anywhere near 200mph.. Aristo with 600+ bhp, no way, not by a very long chalk...

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Peter said:
Funny how easy people reckon this is when (I think) only 2 cars have bettered 200mph at TOTB. I know Brunters is a quarter of a mile longer but I reckon you'd need 700+ bhp in any 'normalish' weight car to get anywhere near 200mph.. Aristo with 600+ bhp, no way, not by a very long chalk...
200mph at Brunters takes 700+bhp in that Sapphire Cosworth (1250-1300 kg)PLUS a confirmed looney tune driving. Now its 850bhp hitting 200mph in it is pretty routine with the owners latest goal the 210 barrier and hopefully faster.
I would guestimate an Aristo would need 800bhp plus a headbanger driving to crack 200mph at Brunters.
A comment that always sticks in my mind was the one Mark Shead made just after the initial 200mph run in Rod Tarrys Cosworth. He compared Rods car to Keith Cowies 32 and said that Rods car felt "pedestrian" compared to Keiths! Where the 700bhp Cosworth needed all of Brunters to hit the double ton Keiths 32 was hitting 215+mph on the short warm up straight at Brunters..lol
That comment along with brief trip in a 750bhp Jun 32 were the reasons my Cosworth was sold and I bought my GTR.

·
Banned
7,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
According to Datron gear you deffo have NOT got 1/4mile more acceleration at Brunters, barely any more, and even less at Woodbridge.

1.25miles is about the lot for all three places TBH.

Ill see if i can check the data we got here n find out for sure.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Option Speed Trial '99 - Ricoh Racing Aristo 300 - 680hp...........Top speed 170mph, proves that you need much more than 600 to get to 200mph in one of those.

Whats this business of needing miles and miles to get to a speed? Most 500bhp+ cars can get to thier top speeds within 1 mile, and given an extra 100miles of track won't make them a jot faster.

·
Banned
7,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
NISFAN said:
Whats this business of needing miles and miles to get to a speed? Most 500bhp+ cars can get to thier top speeds within 1 mile, and given an extra 100miles of track won't make them a jot faster.
Which ones are they? :confused:

From the countless top speed events ive attended or helped run, very VERY few cars top out in the confines of Brunters etc, most apparent on Supercar days where almost all the cars hit a good 25mph sort of their proven max speed over an unlimited distance.

Infact off the top of my head I cant name a single car, apart from cars that we're geared very low in the first place...

This is why i think Brunters etc is a much more relevant top speed than at Nardo etc as it shows acceleration to high speed, rather than Nardo etc etc where they do miles and miles to get there accelerating slowly...

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
SteveN said:
According to Datron gear you deffo have NOT got 1/4mile more acceleration at Brunters, barely any more, and even less at Woodbridge.

1.25miles is about the lot for all three places TBH.

Ill see if i can check the data we got here n find out for sure.
Would be interested to see that, as from the data-logging I got at Brunters at the last VMax, when we had use of the full runway ie no cars at the end, I was able to run for over 1.5 miles before braking (data from racelogic AX22 GPS+accelerometer). That said the total length of the runway is only about 2 miles, but I'm happy braking in my car at about 200mph with only 500 metres or less, I'm not sure some of the other cars would be so happy to stop in that distance.

Guy

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
NISFAN said:
You've obviously never driven a car at high speed then.

Most fast cars (Caterhams etc excepted) won't reach true maximum speed even in 1.5 miles. This is clear by comparing the speeds reached at VMax with the quoted top speeds for the standard cars and speeds that the drivers have seen on the roads.

Thats why the manufacturers test top speeds at Nardo and Ehra-Lessien etc where they have much longer straights or huge high-speed bowls.

There were probably at least half a dozen cars at the last VMax that could do over 200mph on a long enough road (3 x Rufs, several of the tuned 996TT/GT2s, Lambo Murcie etc), yet only a handful of these even got into the 190's.

For what it's worth on my particular car, it hits the rev-limiter (hard) easily in top gear, which equates to about 206mph. Ruf fit a longer 6th gear if desired (I declined) and their demo RTurbo with the same engine as mine has gone 223mph on GPS. By comparison, my best at Bruntingthorpe is 198mph and it's is still accelerating at this point.

I would say most of the top cars were probably at circa 15-20mph from reaching their actual top speeds. Although these cars are still accelerating at 190mp, they cover so much ground whilst doing so that each extra mph takes a longer distance.

Guy

·
Registered
771 Posts
so in theory, if they took the lotus to nardo, (poss mira?) then they could do a better attempt at 200mph (all being ok with mechanicals)

i was wondering about the f40 when reading the last few pages, but all my questions have been answered by you guys already with your posts on this last page!

good read

·
Registered
575 Posts
I belive the Macf1 will hit 211 at least at brunters.....

41 - 60 of 84 Posts