GTR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone,
well here is my problem.

i used to run 2860-5 turbos on my stock 2.6 with tomei 256 poncams. pushing 1.3 bar, power was ok, estimated 550 or so, delivery was ok, a llitle late as I was used to the gtss turbos, but power at top was well worth it :).

enine is stripped now, and cylinders 4-5-6 are too scored, so its time for rebuild, been ofered a very good priced 2.8 crank, so im definitly going to go for that. So, my dilema is:
my new engine spec is going to be 2.8 stroker with 270 10.8 cams (might go for 278 aussi made cams) and head built to take 9000-9500 revs. I would like to see 650bhp at the engine, i know the -5´s will push that, but, wont they run out of puff way before the redline? or can i just play with the cams? or would a gt35 have a flatter power curve at top, have about same lag time and push same bhp? thing is , if i sell all my tubing, manifolds, outlets, turbos, i would en up spending the same on new single turbo and manifold (i can make my onw tubing and downpipe)

any suggestions wlecome :)

simon

·
Registered
798 Posts
try the -5s you already have on your new engine..you will probably be very impressed.Going gt35 would be a waste of time and money in my opinion.If your not happy with the -5s, or get bored go big single..GT4088,TO4Z something down those lines

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
if you REALLY push the -5s, you can get around 650bhp. It'll be easier too, with a 2.8. I really like my turbos and feel that on the street, they are more than plenty - the car is so quick when the turbos are on boil that it's mere seconds before you run out of road, or into traffic, or both!

I just don't think they'll last long - my turbos have 15,000km on them, and frankly I'm a little surprised they've lasted this long!

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Again, depends on what you are looking for...
I think the -5 might be a little short of 650bhp even if you really push it, but then you will still have lots of response.

Or you can go for the GT-RS for twin, and GT4088R for single.
You also have a whole lot of choice for single with the new range of billet compressor wheel from Holset / Borg Warner.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I can get you a New type Holset HX40 Turbo posted for Yen: 110,000 (paypal)

Its got a T3 flange with 14cm or 16cm Housing and will flow 700hp (compressor wheel is cast type) exhaust wheel is Inconel

Rick

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have an R32 GTR with HKS 2.8 stroker engine build with HKS stage 2 camshafts. OS Giken close ratio 5 speed H-pattern transmission.

It had HKS 2530's mated to it until they went faulty.
Fitted a brand new pair of Garrett 2860RS -5's.

HKS F-Con Pro & Apexi AVCR. Mapped by TR running 1.5bar boost, peaking at 1.7bar.

I am very impressed by the outcome of the Garrett units on a 2.8 RB. Pulls like a train, next to no noticeable lag - I wouldn't want anymore from her.

Yet to have her dyno'd, as just got her back, but I would estimate somewhere in the region of 600-700bhp at the engine.

Power isn't the key though, response and driveability is - as well as reliability. I would stick with your Garrett units. When mapped up correctly, I think you may be nicely suprised.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so, hahaha

by the answers im getting, and budget and less muking about i will give the -5´s a tru see hopw hard they pull up to the redline. :p

thanks all again

1 - 10 of 10 Posts