GTR Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys. i desperatly need your good advice. i own a 96 r33 gtr, the engine is spec,d for 800bhp, but runs the standard fuel system, standard ecu, injecters etc. i want to release the power from the car. but i really dont know the best route to take. i know i need 1000cc injecters & a bigger fuel rail. its fuel pumps, fuel lines & swirl pots that im stumped on. i also have a stereo install in the boot, so cant mount anything in their. also im not sure wot the best route is regarding wot ecu to go for. i have 4 kids, so i dont have a fortune to throw at it. you guys know were in coming from. im interested in any second hand parts that anybody may have that i would need. any advice on sombody good to do the work & mapping etc would be a great help. im so pleased to be a skyline owner. i cant wait to get the car finished & attend some meets :p thanx guys, anything you can give me will be greatly appreiciated. kind regards joe :lamer:

·
Registered
962 Posts
Joe , i would strongly suggest you give a reputable tuner a ring with your requirements, someone like RB Motorsport, Gt Art, Abbey etc (have a look on the traders index. You will have a lot better idea of costs etc:)

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
It depend on what you mean when you said your engine is good for 800bhp.

Does that mean you have all forge internal, h section conrod, balance crank, metal head gasket, etc? Any prove?

What head work are done? standard CAM?

What turbo do you have? Standard Turbo?

If "someone" say you have an engine good for 800bhp, but then EVERYTHING else is standard, I will be very worry. I will ask to have the car check out by a tuner first.

But a word of advice is once you get into big power, it is big money. If you want to play, be prepared to pay. If you have 4 kids and don't have much cash, then it is going to be an uphill battle for you. These car cost money standing still, let alone moving.

Think about it long and hard before you make a first move, otherwise we will see another cheap skyline for sale due to owner unable to withstand the running cost. Best of luck. :)

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Forgive me if this sounds negative, but bear with me.

GET PROOF of your engine's ability to handle 800bhp before you do anything to take it to that power level.

Even if you have rock solid proof of internals / clutch etc, think long and hard about whether you actually want it to have that much power. The fact that you've said you have 4 kids and dont have a fortune to spend puts warning lights on already tbh. We need more details of what your car's actually had done to it - you could be talking 10k to get it to 800bhp!

Doesnt sound like much of an engine 'specced for 800bhp' if it's still running standard management, injectors, fuel system etc. Lets have some more info :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi guys, thanx for the advice so far. i know it wont be cheap to do, but i really want to do it, if that makes sense. the car was all built by a tuner, but never finished after it was run in. this was 3 years & about 5k miles coverd since build. i went back to this tuner, but they wanted more money than i could afford to finish the job. i honestly feel i can get a better deal. iv rang a few places, & you,d be suprised how many people arnt interested in getting involved with this job. it seems pretty straight forward to me. its basicly a fuel system & a ecu with mapping. it has a hks pump, which im told is good for 600bhp, but with people wanting a grand for mapping, i dont want to pay that twice if i do the fuel pumps later. also is any body going to trax at silerstone this sunday?? i wanted to know if the gtroc have a stand or special parking area? who would i need to speak to? i want to bring the car along, but dont want to leave it in the public car park. my friends cosworth was stolen from there a couple of years ago, so it worrys me a bit. i really do appreciate you guys taking the time to read my posts. part of my engine spec is a 2.8 hks stroker kit ported head, hks step 3 cams, hks 28/35 top mount roller bearing turbo kit with twin remote external wastegates. hks tripple plate clutch. a few other bits.. kind regards joe :)

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
So that's running on a standard ecu at the moment is it?

A grand will include supply and fit the ecu aswell, so dont worry - you wont be paying that twice. I payed £450 for my mapping session, and £450 for a 2nd hand PowerFC and Commander - so there's money to be saved but not a lot really. A grand isnt actually all that bad :)

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Hi Joe,

I know what you were quoted for your work on the car, and I know how much other tuners would want for the same job and I can assure you that its a fair price.

You really dont want someone to be installing aeromotive pumps, swirl pots and new fuel lines "on the cheap" as it would be an awfully expensive lesson when a fuelling problem costs you a HKS engine.

From memory you need....

Injectors (quality ones, that wont have issues when you puch them - and dont even consider RB crap, Ive seen the flow tests)
Fuel rail
Regulator
Fuel lines for twin feed
Main pumps
Swirl pot
Fittings (which are NOT cheap)
Fcon V Pro
Loom
Map sensor
Dyno time - which isnt simple either for this level of performance if done properly

I never understand when someone wants mega performance then comes on with "I have kids who wont eat if I get my car running properly" its not really a valid arguement. You either can afford an 800bhp skyline or you cant, and Bob charges 30/hour unlike 50/hour for most tuners. Why dont you go for the first option which would take it to 650bhp and see how that is ???

J.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Nothing wrong with RC injectors i run a set of 1200cc when my car was on twins and i now have a set of 1600cc fitted.
All my RC injectors came with a ProCal service report and they were all spot on

Taken from the RC site

RC Engineering's ProCal service, through its computer-controlled test equipment, provides complete data that fully explains and illustrates how the injectors will respond in a variety of situations. Each ProCal report is available on paper, as a Microsoft Excel file on computer diskettes or Excel data files attached to electronic mails.

Keith

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
bladerider said:
Keith,

I guess spray pattern isnt as important as outright flow when used on something as brutal as your car mate, Ive seen them in action and I wouldnt touch them with a ten foot stick.

J.
My car ticks over at just under 1000 revs no problem drives very well
in trafic on the road,go and read all about RC on there website.have a look at the test rigs that RC use.RB have been using them on plenty road cars.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
To answer the first question -

A stock Nismo pump in the tank , 720cc injectors, -6 supply line, fuel rail will support ~600 or so safely. The limiting factor being the pump

You can put a Nismo and the stock pump in the tank. Run another supply - feed the rail from both sides, and do~800 hp with around some 800-1000 cc injectors.

http://tyndago.googlepages.com/gt-rfueling

If you don't road race, and you don't run the tank down too much you wont suck too much air.

It all depends on how crazy you want to get. 800hp and 4 kids sounds more like 500 hp conservatively would be a good place to be.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
keith said:
My car ticks over at just under 1000 revs no problem drives very well
in trafic on the road,go and read all about RC on there website.have a look at the test rigs that RC use.RB have been using them on plenty road cars.
I've had good luck with RC Injectors. I have had some friends that have had RC cleaned injectors stick open or closed.

I have probably done about 5 sets of injectors and haven't had any issues. Another local type place I can walk into and talk to people. Its nice to live in Southern California some times.... ok...most of the time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.