GTR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
[Moderators - I'm sorry if this is the wrong section, wasn't sure where to put my post!]

OK, so has anyone tried launching their GTR at 8000rpm with a clutch drop (i.e. just take your foot off the clutch suddenly)? :D :D

I'm sure you have :D Now, the question is... Is it normal for the car to spin all four tyres and go a bit sideways on the take off that ensues? Or are my tires crap...

Also.. what will break on the car next if I keep doing this (I drag race the car, and no not at traffic lights!).. PS I have a triple plate GMax Nismo clutch, so *that* should be OK, what about axles, differentials, driveshafts...

Also.. Part 2: can anyone recommend a 2-stage rev-limiter? It is really hard to hold the car at 7500rpm and concentrate on launching on time.

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
Wheel spin - Yes, I am not surprised:D Digglers take offs are like that.
You nutter:eek: I will leave others to tell you what parts of the drive train are going to break. Order a new gearbox now;)

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
you can buy a gizmo that is a rev limiter with launch control.

They usually have a full throttle gear change too.

THey are available from demon tweeks, and other motor factors.

cost about 100 quid.

Enjoy.
Steve

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
When my car was pushing a max of 500hp I did have 1 or 2 attempts at a dropped clutch launch at 7,000rpm just to see what it was like. All 4 wheels spun through 1st and the car started to track with the gradient of the road - not a lot but enough to notice it. Nothing broken.

Cya O!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
davewilkins said:
You nutter:eek: I will leave others to tell you what parts of the drive train are going to break. Order a new gearbox now;)
2 on the way... I found a stock R32 GTR box for cheeeeep and the "real" box should be arriving in a month or so - the Holinger box, that is. Now I certainly hope that that won't break on agressive launches.

I meant what else apart from gearboxes, will break on GTRs (I assumed that most people knew by now that I have just stripped 3rd gear on my GTR during a drag race event).

I know that it would help to change the front diff as that is also a "liability"...

hipogtr said:
When my car was pushing a max of 500hp I did have 1 or 2 attempts at a dropped clutch launch at 7,000rpm just to see what it was like. All 4 wheels spun through 1st and the car started to track with the gradient of the road - not a lot but enough to notice it. Nothing broken.
You really should try it more often - the car pulls at least 1G of acceleration and just sligshots off fantastic feeling, and you are left hanging on for your life as you become one with your seat.

What a rush...
PS General warning: I am not responsible for any people braking any parts, OK! Also, for the sake of your clutch, take your foot off instantly don't hesitate, or you will slip it pretty badly... If your car bogs on the launch, you aren't revving high enough on the launch.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
hipogtr said:

Cya O!
Any plan of doing that again with your new motor? :eek: :D .....haha......just kidding :p

Jeff

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Dino.....I think so too, at least for 3 gears :D

I have a friend here that have a Ford Mustang with 860 WHP, since it is 2WD, his tires spins in any of the 5 gears if he is on street tires at WOT. One thing that amazes me is, he can pull away from a dead stop in 5th gear and it would take off like a normal car :eek: ............haha.......nothing can compete with American Iron with a supercharger as far as crazy power goes...............sorry, going off topic here :rolleyes:

Jeff

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
DCD said:
Gio....I think you will wheel spin through the first 3 gears at least now!!:D
Not sure yet... I haven't tried anything agressive. To be honest, I'm a little concerned about doing this - well, at least until I've determined what to do when I cause some major damage. :(

Cya O!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.