GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there!

I'm close to ordering new rims to my R33 GT-R, there´s almost no price difference between the 9.5" and 10.5" 18" rims, so i wonder wich one's o should buy?

What's the cons and pros of the booth widths except for pricing on maybe a bit wider tires?

Thanks//
Mattias

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Depends on the offset. Both will work with the right ET. Tire choice is totally up to you, but I wouldn't want to put 265's on 10.5" wide Rims.

Marc

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The offsets available for the 10.5" is 30, and the 9.5" the offsets are 27 and 40. So i will need spacers however i do.

I have 275/35-18" Goodyear tires that i think would fit the 10.5" good.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
You'll need approx. 20mm Spacer for the 10.5". 275's will be just fine imo.

I've got 9.5" with ET8 and still "lots" of space to the fender edge.

Marc

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
I had 18" x 9.5" +15 on my Endless using 265' tires. And tires didn't stick out. Also, Endless told me that they added camber in order to avoid the tires to rub with the fender but never happened anyway there was a good gap between the tire & bodywork :confused:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I currently have 18*9.5" with the 275's, the rims are ET40, and i have 20mm spacers. There's a little bit space left to the arch's.

·
Registered
150 Posts
is the car going to be street driven? or mostly track driven?
cause though alot of ppl on here seem to favour the bigger is better side of things, the japs that ive talked to though have said to me 9.5 is the best choice for street driven, with anything between 255 and 275, depending on rubber and bhp levels etc...
anything bigger and it's got an adverse effect on handling.
i wasnt too sure about that opinion, but if you have a look in the Hyper Rev magazines, you will find that the majority of gtr's in there have 9.5, and it tends to be the track driven ones that have bigger.
ive got 18x 9.5 with +12offset if im not mistaken (bout the offset) and im plenty happy
hope this helps

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The car will be mostly street driven, with maybe a few track days a summer. The idea was to get a wide look from behind with some stretch, using 400R wide arch's.. hmm.

·
Registered
150 Posts
18x9.5 with the right offset or with some spacers (personally i wouldnt want any on my car)
ive got 255/35 toyo T1Rs and they look pretty stretched, gonna go for 265 or 275 next time

·
Registered
76 Posts
Heres my setup, nothing wrong with using 265/35's on a 10.5" rim, they are fine.

Enkei RPF1 18" x 10.5" +15 with 265/35/18 Toyo Proxes T1R tyres, Tein ECR33 Super Drift coilovers moddified to fit BCNR33, can still go alot lower, standard gaurds (gaurd lips not rolled back) and standard gaurd liners at the front, no rubbing front or rear whatsoever!

More pics here :
GTR 12-11-09 - a set on Flickr

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,199 Posts
Increase in coefficient of friction.
But the wheels don't touch anything.

Running a 265 section tyre on a 9.5" rim or a 10.5" and the amount of rubber touching the road will be pretty much identical.

Surely your question should be about tyre sizes then you can work out the required rim width to match the tyre?

·
Registered
794 Posts
But the wheels don't touch anything.

Running a 265 section tyre on a 9.5" rim or a 10.5" and the amount of rubber touching the road will be pretty much identical.

Surely your question should be about tyre sizes then you can work out the required rim width to match the tyre?
But with a wider rim Id use a wider tyre........265 vs 275 must feel different in relation to steering. Extra unsprung weight too.

·
Registered
417 Posts
The difference would be negligible.

I've gone from 17" 9.5J 255 tyre to 18" 10J 265 tyre and can't tell any difference in terms of steering feel.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts