GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I can actually see where he's coming from. I've done several big builds, but this time, I'm taking the softly, softly approach and making sure it's all reversible.

Not a bad article, really.

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
A lot of that I actually agree with.

It's fine, as long as you go into it with your eyes open.

With what I spent on my MY11 in a year that I didn't get back when it sold I could have covered the depreciation for three years on a new one.

·
Registered
228 Posts
"tuning doesn't actually improve many cars. Manufacturers spend millions getting their engineering right, and fiddling about with it can ruin everything."

i got to this part and stopped reading. Its the same old argument again and again.

manufacturers spend millions designing a car for the masses, comparing this to the changes we make for ourselves is comparing apples and oranges.

These articles / arguments all go the same way and miss the point entirely.

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
"tuning doesn't actually improve many cars. Manufacturers spend millions getting their engineering right, and fiddling about with it can ruin everything."

i got to this part and stopped reading. Its the same old argument again and again.

manufacturers spend millions designing a car for the masses, comparing this to the changes we make for ourselves is comparing apples and oranges.

There are other points in there if you keep reading.

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
Don't know about other valid points but I do agree with the guy - almost completely.

I've made the mistakes he mentions, and have also sought to go down the reversible mod route.

Difference for me is that the whole, with the money I've spent I could have bought a X doesn't apply as I looked at all the Xs I could afford and some that were at tlevel of money I have subsequently spent and all don't even register against the desirability of what I have done.

It's a great place to be.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
It's kind of right really, we all know we're wasting money.. But do we care?

Why don't we all just buy a Nissan Micra and live in bungalows.

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
It's like any hobby.

You just have to be comfortable that every penny you put into it is done for the enjoyment, not for any chance of seeing a return.

If you can do that, then I think it's fine.

You could be doing something else that's actually bad for you like drinking or smoking.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
You could be doing something else that's actually bad for you like drinking or smoking.
If there's 1 (or 2) things I love to argue about it's this.

1) You waste thousands on smoking, drink and drugs a year.. Yet I'm an idiot for spending money on my car (that FYI will last a whole lot longer than your high then hangover, put together x 1,000)

2)
Girl - "Why is your car so low? It's so impractical"
Me - "Why do you wear stupidly high and skinny heels, surely they're just as impractical?"
Girl - "......"
Me - "Because I think a low car looks good, just like you think you look good (trying) to walk in heels"
Girl - "That's different!"

Oh really... Is it now :clap::wavey:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Of course it is a waste of money.. Just like any hobby or any expenditure that depreciates over time. Thats not the point though is it. The mods I did to my impreza improved the feel of the car, the performance and it was much more fun to drive. That's the point its FUN. Its a moot article except for those that may make comparisons with doing property improvements and modding cars; one adds value the other does not, but we know that.

·
Registered
750 Posts
It's just a matter of not going overboard, if I spend for example 10-15k for making my Skyline as fast (or at least close) as new Porsche it's still way cheaper than buyinga new Porsche or some other "fast" car. For me it's always bang for a buck ;)

·
Registered
176 Posts
To be fair, property development is also fun whilst being profitable at the same time.
Ye true.

In my opinion it is a waste of time article. It states the obvious, we all know these facts. But then again if we got rid of all the waste of time articles throughout media, we may not have allot to read. :flame:

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
"I remember a guy at one of our shows being asked over the PA system how much he'd spent on his 600hp Mitsubishi Evo VIII. The gasps from the crowd were all too audible when he declared it was "over £100,000." He could have bought a brand new Porsche 911 GT3 for that..."

What if said Evo owner never wanted a Porsche?!

The writer is pretty much your middle class petrolhead who believes in a hierarchy of cars all people should aspire to rather than enjoy and make most of what they own or personally like.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
I can actually see where he's coming from. I've done several big builds, but this time, I'm taking the softly, softly approach and making sure it's all reversible.

Not a bad article, really.
Agree

A lot of that I actually agree with.

It's fine, as long as you go into it with your eyes open.

With what I spent on my MY11 in a year that I didn't get back when it sold I could have covered the depreciation for three years on a new one.
As you said later, its a hobby....

With most cars I would agree with this, I ruined my Impreza, went too far to quickly :(

The GTR is different though, a casual slow approach has kept it entertaining and small improvements are making a difference.

If there's 1 (or 2) things I love to argue about it's this.

1) You waste thousands on smoking, drink and drugs a year.. Yet I'm an idiot for spending money on my car (that FYI will last a whole lot longer than your high then hangover, put together x 1,000)

2)
Girl - "Why is your car so low? It's so impractical"
Me - "Why do you wear stupidly high and skinny heels, surely they're just as impractical?"
Girl - "......"
Me - "Because I think a low car looks good, just like you think you look good (trying) to walk in heels"
Girl - "That's different!"

Oh really... Is it now :clap::wavey:
Must remember that!!! :clap:

·
Registered
484 Posts
It's like any hobby.

You just have to be comfortable that every penny you put into it is done for the enjoyment, not for any chance of seeing a return.

If you can do that, then I think it's fine.

Thats spot on:thumbsup:

·
Registered
484 Posts
I think hes just pI$$t off hes spent all his money on ford KA.

It was w*nk when he bought it, and now hes made it double w*ank:chuckle:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts