GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Porsche

Question is too specific. The 996 will beat you and then break if you are doing standing starts, since the first gear in the Porsche gearbox is small and weak, the load placed on it by doing standing starts with their permanent 4wd and massive rear-weight bias, means that it's a brave TT owner that will do standing starts (of course most won't).

All 911s are difficult to launch (I owned a C4).

However, once going they are very quick, since they have huge torque and are slightly lighter as well as being much better aerodynamically.

At a quarter-mile track you will beat them easily, but on the road it's a different matter.

Guy

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rolling start

tks. for the info......but are you referring to a 500hp GTR or a standard GTR?

how bout both cars at 1st gear from 40km to 200km then???
how much power shud i be hving in order to beat him?

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
GTR vs 996

I've never driven a 996 and only passengered in a 993TT.

My guess is that you'd need at least 500bhp in an R33, to be even with a stock 414bhp 996TT from 40-200kph. Slightly less in an R34, since the extra gear helps acceleration.

At the recent Top 10 shootout, a 457bhp stock Porsche 996GT2, which is admittedly slightly lighter than a 996TT and slightly more powerful, beat a number of 580bhp-630bhp GTRs over a standing 1.25miles. The same car also was within a tenth of a second for the standing 500m of these car (the GTRs did 13.1-13.3, the Porsche did 13.2).

ie a 457bhp 911 was not getting beaten over either 0-500 or 0-1250m by GTRs that have dynoed with up to 170bhp more.

Someone once said to me that Porsche horses are a little bigger than everyone elses...............

Guy

·
Registered
97 Posts
where bout in HK are u?
NT? KL? HKisland?

LL

·
Banned
349 Posts
good thread

My car is about 500 bhp and I have had a number of run in's with GT2's and 3's and 996TT.

I am sure Guy is correct with his info. My experience which is documented at www.howfast.com is that I have beaten all the above mentioned cars on a timed circuit.

My GTR took 8 seconds out of Tiff Needel in a GT2 and 8 seconds out of a 450 bhp upgraded 996TT.

This does not say that the GTR is faster over the condition's that Guy describes, but when you throw bends into the equation the understeer in the Porche puts most driver's of pushing any harder as the steering feeds back warning messages. To push further in the Porche means chartering the territory of hard to control oversteer which makes it slower in most hands. The GTR becomes quicker at this point as (and I hope we all know this) is much easier to drive at 110%.

In my book save yourself the extra 60k and stay with the GTR.

Jamie M.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HI GUY, REASON I POSTED THIS THREAD IS BECAUSE I WAS THINKING TO UPGRADE TO GT 2530/40 (550 - 600HP) AND I WANT TO MAKE SURE I CAN BEAT THE 996TT AFTER THE UPGRADE. (ACCELERATION WISE)

AFTER READING THE REPLIES, I THINK I MAY NEED SOME BIGGER TURBO(S) IN ORDER TO BEAT THAT. :eek:

JEFF, I HVN'T RACED HIM YET....IT'S A BIT TOO HOT (35 DEGREES CELSIUS) & HUMID IN HK RIGHT NOW....I'LL RACE HIM IN THE WINTER FOR SURE AND I'LL KEEP ALL OF YOU POSTED.

LL, I LIVE ON THE HK SIDE.

AND JAMIE, TKS. FOR YOUR INPUT ALSO, I WISH I WAS SITTING ON THE PASSENGER SIDE WHEN YOU WERE RACING THOSE GT2(S) & 996TT(S)

THANKS ALOT

MICHAEL.
:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nice work Jamie,

When we look at a comparison between two cars on a track there is one very important aspect that must be taken into consideration when reflecting on the car. "The Driver". The ability to point and pedal a car is the most important aspect to making a quick time around a track. You can have huge horse power, great set up, and fantastic brakes but if you cant steer it then the times will be bad. Jamie can clearly point the car (you don't get those times without it), who knows about the Porsche owners.

Jamie I think in the name of science next time you need to ask the Porsche owners for a pedal (you'd need at least an hour or so to get the feel right). :D That way you can truly compare. Like I said in the name of science.

Mick.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Driver

I think Jamie referred to Tiff Needel driving the GT2, who is well known in the Uk and has raced in Formula 1, as well as many times at Le Mans (best place 3rd) - so he can drive well (as can Jamie).

Guy

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I haven't had alot of time in a 996TT, but at the end of last year I got to drive one on the Porsche World Roadshow and thought it was one of the best cars I have driven.

Of course I also think that of my VSPEC II, but they're really different horses for different courses and I was mostly impressed enormously with the brakes...........I'm sure it's mostly due to the bias, but the whole car felt so easy to drive at speed and to be honest it didn't suffer when really pushed hard as someone suggested............of course I totally agree with the statement that it's the driver that's the biggest thing here.

I know as the price of the car goes up the willingness of most owners to push it over the edge will be less I'm sure !! :D

JMHO

Cheers
Fraser

PS I can also tell you that one of the instructors on the day is the owner of NZ's biggest Porsche race team, but was a big skyline fan with his own R33 GTR. He was asking me questions all day about mine and after things were finished we went for a drive. He loved driving my car and no less than 7 days later, rang me to say he'd bought a Bayside Blue R34 GTR !!!! Nuff said :D :smokin:

·
Banned
349 Posts
Thanks Guys

I have done alot of track work over the past 12 years including quite alot of costly instruction from the likes of Tim Harvey BTCC, and Rob Gravette BTCC plus Calum Lockie GT1 Champion.

I cannot stress enough how much difference the driver makes to the performance over a lap of any track in any car.

Last week on an even playing field I did the Evo Track driver of the year competition. After getting to the top 3 out of 112 driver's, I had the fastest time by 2.5 seconds in an Audi Palmer sport FPA Single seater School car (200 BHP, thinner tyres, less down force). My telemertry over lay (compared to the other contestants) was streets ahead and no one else was flat where I was Flat or broke as late as me. For instance in identicle machinary I was 8 MPH quicker through the speed trap!

The rules where that You where not allowed to put a tyre of the track onto the lesser concrete. Sadly I was not allowed to compete in the full Race cars to go through and win as I did put a tyre over the white line whilst realeasing the car out of a 150 MPH corner!!! :(

It was quite satisfying though when the winner was still 2.5 seconds slower than me in a full current race car with 300 bhp, wider tyres, and more down force!!

It will be reported in Octobers EVO. I'll be back and won't make any mistakes next year:) Also, Johnathon Palmer has invited me to test in an FPA car so all is not bad!

I have alot of respect for the Porchers of this world and have driven most of them. But given the choice I would rather be in Somberg's car than an equivalent race porche anytime.

Jamie M

1 - 20 of 30 Posts