GTR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just wanted to publicly acknowledge and thank Ian @ Hiteq and RonS for their recent invaluable help during the change in my turbos, etc. Ian for the comprehensive technical back up and Ron for the much needed moral support, tool hire, giving up his time and getting his hands dirty on my behalf.

The task turned out to be more involved than I had expected although relatively straight forward. The main issue was not having the correct spanners to access only 2 or 3 awkward nuts particularly on the exhaust manifold. Having now 'manufactured' 2 spanners which do the job, one with an angle grinder and one with a club hammer, the job will be quite a lot easier should there be a next time around.

Injectors, pump and fuel reg. go on next week followed by a sprinkling of Abbey/Apexi magic the following week just in time for Bedford. :)

Peter.

·
Registered
272 Posts
yes , a supply of cheap 12mm spanners is needed for when you cut them up or bend them to fit , I am getting good at taking turbos off , last time I didnt bleed at all .

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
turbos

well done peter

you have just became a member of the

TURBO CLUB

keith

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brenhan,

Know what you mean about bleeding! Tried wearing latex as much as I could but still caught a few rips! One thing that pissed me off was the manifold/turbo nuts. I ground down and broke a 13mm spanner so that I could reach the last nut only to find out that the new ones were 12mm! Suppose I could have used the old ones....

Keith,

Thanks, is it quite an exclusive club?

I'm quite happy at that, I'll pass on becoming a member of any more clubs (crank, piston, gearbox, etc.)! ;)

Peter.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Yes I became a member last year.
Awkward job but I never needed to manufacture any spanners, I must just have been lucky with the tools I had lying arouind.
Just needed long legs to reach over the wing when the car was on axle stands.
Not a job you would wish to do regularly.
Makes you appreciate the work and efforts of the tuners more and more though.:D

·
Registered
805 Posts
A pleasure

A pleasure Peter, I learnt a lot, in fact more than enough to never do it again :)

One thing however, I intend to sue the manufacturer of my 'quality' spanners as I was not impressed with the ease you 'adapted' my 12mm with that club hammer of yours :)

Also,

Peter said quote "Tried wearing latex as much as I could"

Clarification on Latex wearing, I only ever wear standard cloth overalls myself, when working on cars, I trust that clears up any misunderstanding :D

RonS

1 - 8 of 8 Posts