GTR Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
damnit its soft but hey .. he was going quite quick :D Was playing around all day with shutter speeds .. i wanted to try and go to the lowest i could, think this was shot at 1/50 .... gutted its soft though :(

i hate cropping but had to get rid of some of the signage ..

gotta love this guy and his baseball cap ..... innit :D

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
Just how clever are you Steve....amazing pictures!! :clap:

I don't know the first thing about cameras and I have a lovely Canon and haven't a clue how to use it, like my PC :lamer: :chuckle:

Claire

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
I really like the second one :cool:

Are you panning along with the car and what lens are you using.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys :)

Ian .. yes m8 .. i was following the cars from the start line and went as low as i could with the shutter speed (two low on the first shot lol) to make sure the background was blurred.

Its a Canon 300D body ... lens for the first shot was a sigma 55-200 .. i think i was at about 130mm. 2nd shot was just taken with the prime lens at 55mm.

i was determind to try and capture the speed .. unfortunately i failed :D and was just off the mark with the focus on the first shot. So many drag shots don't convey just how fast the cars are travelling in my opinion ...

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
When I was last at the pod, I went "sport mode" but, although the pics were "ok" they were too small :(
Next time I go to a meet you can show me how to get to grips with my camera if you're there :)
So many part-time hobbies and absolutely no time to deal with them.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
what camera are you using Ian ? ..

I would tend to steer clear of sport mode as the shutter speed is way too fast and it will always freeze the action. Avoid the "auto" setting mode as well unless you are just after a general day to day snap etc ..

·
Registered
60 Posts
excuse me for jumping in just like that but I have a Nikon D70 with a 18-70 mm lens. You are saying that I should avoid the "sport" mode when taking such pictures? I'm having hard time to find the best settings to shoot in such conditions, the worst is that mainly our drag events are at night due to weather conditions!

This means if I have a very fast shutter, my picture would be so dark, wouldn't it? Do you think I should get a better lens (80-400mm) for example? I really need your professional input :bowdown1: as I'm at the beginning of my learning curve:squintdan :)

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
what camera are you using Ian ? ..

I would tend to steer clear of sport mode as the shutter speed is way too fast and it will always freeze the action. Avoid the "auto" setting mode as well unless you are just after a general day to day snap etc ..
I had mine in auto :D :D :D not had chance to 'play' yet.

I can't see the pics from work so will have to wait until I get home ... but no doubt they are absolutely fantastic pics ...

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
I have a Canon 350D.
Bought it to take pictures at car events and when the my sons team play football.

I've not been able to dive into the manual mode yet as not allowed to take pictures at football and not able to get to car meets due to kids football.

Liquid, the more you use the camera, the less you will use tha auto settings :)

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
catch 22 there Ian :D

Daz they aint that good pal ... i didn't have a press pass so just spent the afternoon experitmenting with stuff.

Crystal .. im no proffessional dude :D, at least not with stills cameras .. shooting Drag at night would be fantastic though, white balance is important when shooting under floodlight type situations. It really would be a case of experimenting with shutter speeds and the like to find a decent compromise, having seen some of the nightime drift shots by people it is very difficult to convey the speed and get everything nice and sharp.

·
Registered
341 Posts
excuse me for jumping in just like that but I have a Nikon D70 with a 18-70 mm lens. You are saying that I should avoid the "sport" mode when taking such pictures? I'm having hard time to find the best settings to shoot in such conditions, the worst is that mainly our drag events are at night due to weather conditions!

Yes,sport mode is no good unless its something like football photography where you want the image to be 'frozen' Ive a D70S and Ive never used it. I use shutter priority (S) or manual(M) for action shots and aperture priority (A) (and usually a tripod) for stationary shots. Use the light meter in manual mode to acheive correct exposure and under/over exposure if you wish

This means if I have a very fast shutter, my picture would be so dark, wouldn't it? Do you think I should get a better lens (80-400mm) for example? I really need your professional input :bowdown1: as I'm at the beginning of my learning curve:squintdan :)

Thanks in advance...
If your shutter speed is high and you are getting dark photos its because the aperture is too low resulting in not enough light getting to the sensor.

Buying new lenses is good but not always required,if you can afford it fair enough but good lenses dont mean good photos,most of it is to do with who is behind the camera

Also RTFM is a good strategy - Read The Fcuking Manual!! Experimentation and practice is the key

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.