GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello!

Now having had a look around for the past year for a semi-tuned (500 - 600bhp) R34 GTR in bayside blue is practically IMPOSSIBLE to find.

I've just come across this: too good to be true?

Peeps that know about skylines.. Can you spot any flaws in this?

You would think that the price of these R34's would drop with the new GTR. I have never seen a jap car hold its value quite as much as these cars do! It would be great if you could pick up a decent one for anything upto 20K -> But all of those seem to be stock!?! 25 - 30k is 996 turbo money!

What really are the benefits of opting for a GTR over a GTT?
Usually £10K in difference! :confused:

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
A Mate picked up a MGT tuned R34 GTR in Black with 2871-10's and a whole bunch of HKS parts not long ago for around 23k. So the price seems to be realistic.

Hello!
What really are the benefits of opting for a GTR over a GTT? Usually £10K in difference! :confused:
To be honest, if you would look up the differences, you wouldn't even be asking this. The GTR isn't just a GTT with AWD and a bigger engine.

For me, its a totally different car.

Marc

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stachi,

Ok, please ignore the last question I wrote. It's just out of frustration. I've wanted an R34 for such a long time. The prices just don't seem to drop...! :(

Any advice fellow peeps? Is it worth getting a damaged one and repairing it?

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Imo the prices really dropped the last few months. You already saw this white R34 GTR on here for 19k ono?

Most cars will want for something, may it be the brake pads are shot, the plugs need changing.. It's stuff I'd always do, wether it's been advertised with all the work already beeing carried out or not. If you can do something yourself, this could also lead to a "cheaper" R34 GTR. But be preppared to work :)

Marc

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i don't mind doing the work. My extremely "reliable" zed keeps me busy on that front! lol

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
25 - 30k is 996 turbo money!

What really are the benefits of opting for a GTR over a GTT?
Usually £10K in difference! :confused:
Sorry to go a bit OT here but are you kidding me? Are 996 Turbos that cheap in the UK? Here in Sweden the cheapest one is around 37k...

To compare a GTT to a GT-R is like comparing a normal 3-series BMW to an M3. So like Stachi said, two different cars really.

IMHO it´s better to source a car in good condition as a damaged one might cost you more in the long run.

/P

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
^^As above^^

Your best of saving up a little more and then further down the line you should have a bit more cash in your pocket.

Or...

Just sell the Z and with the money you save not running the car put towards the r34!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys...

I'm just like weighing up in my mind whether this is a wise decision... Perhaps a should opt for a decent tuned R33 GTR? That would leave me atleast a little cash in my pocket? I've seen a pretty tasty one on PH for 12K (500bhp)

The problem with the zed is that it just doesn't have the power I'm after, that's really the only problem with it! Other then that I think the look and interior are pretty fantastic compared to most other jap cars.

Anyone here ever owned a skyline and a 350z in their life? Would love to hear your thoughts! :)

·
Premium Member
8,094 Posts
ABeut has owned both at the same I think,Harlow Auto's have a mint UK R33 GTR i'd snap up if i had that much cash

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
a few issues with your post...

do you have any idea of the routes to be taken to get 600hp?

there are many cars that will make 600hp- once or twice

there are some that will make 600hp............eventually (lag)

or there's those that have been done properly and will make it every time you plant your foot, day in, day out, for many years

this will not be a 'semi-tuned' car, as you put it, but one that someone will have spent tens of thousands on

the secret is in the bottom end; the best street driven skylines will all have larger capacity engines, 2.8 or preferably 3 litre. a basic 3 litre short engine from OS will cost £10k just for the block, crank rods and pistons, before you look at the head, turbos, cams, cooling, engine management, clutch, gearbox, suspension before you even get onto jewellery like wheels and body parts

trying to get the cheapest 600hp car will end in tears. you're much better off trying to find a reasonably priced increased capacity motor, as this is where the money goes and where the reliability comes from. this is also where you will get the best value for money as proper built cars sell for a fraction of what they cost to build- it's just that was a really big number to begin with
eg i've spent more than 60k on my 32 and i'd struggle to get 30 for it

and why a 34?
they are the heaviest rb, and since engines are interchangeable between 32, 33 & 34 why not go for the one with the best and lightest chassis, the 32?
it's the best driver's skyline, imho

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
I have a 350z roadstar (well the wifes) R33 GTR around 450bhp and a R35

why do you need 500 to 600? The 450 R33 is a different league to the 350z in performance

maintaing a 500-600bhp car is going to be a lot more than a 450 to 500 one

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
why not go for the one with the best and lightest chassis, the 32?
I agree with everything you wrote about the engines but here you´re on thin ice. ;) The R34 has the stiffest chassis of all the three generations and has clearly the best handling. It´s like a go-cart when you upgrade the coilovers. If you plan on tracking the car or even remotely scratch the surface of what these cars are capable of on a twisty road, the R34 will give much more enjoyment when you compare the chassis/handling.

/P

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
with all due respect, that's rubbish

weight is everything. my 32 has a full, weld-in roll cage and still weighs over 200kgs less than a 34, while being much stiffer
as far as handling goes, weight > anything else. when evo magazine tested all the rb models they found what everyone else does; that the 32 is the best handling, most chuckable and the most fun

it's also the most produced and cheapest, which makes for a slam dun ahem! compelling argument

so for the money you spend on a 33 or 34 you could buy a 32 and partially tune it

all you need to know is that some senior members of this forum have removed the heavily tuned drivetrains from their 34's and transplanted them into lightweight 32's

you should buy a later car if you're into posing, but a 32 if driving or competing is most important to you

(although i think a nice 32 is better looking as well, but that's just personal taste)

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Well, I was just comparing the chassis, nothing else. And if you want to go fast on a track or on a twisty road, you need a stiff chassis. Since you think what I wrote is rubbish I must ask if you´ve ever driven a R34? The difference just between the R33 and the R34 is massive. (Still talking chassis here)

About weight, I guess you haven´t heard about the new model? It´s supposed to be rather fast. It´s called the R35 and they say it´s heavy. ;) Just kidding mate but don´t get too hung up on the weight thing.

Weight isn´t always a bad thing. Haven´t you seen the interview PH did with Mizuno-san? It´s an eyeopener for a lot of people. ;)

Of course you´re right that the R32´s are cheaper and therefore you can get one cheap + a tune for the same money as you´d spend on a newer car but it seems the R32 is not an option for the OP so I guess we can leave that discussion. :)

/P

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Just kidding mate but don´t get too hung up on the weight thing.
........:chairshot

weight is everything
weight is acceleration, braking, turning, handling. if these things don't matter to you, then don't get hung up on weight. reducing weight also improves fuel consumption and reduces tyre and brake wear

the 35 is quick despite being heavy, and would be quicker if lighter. that's just the laws of physics, take it up with newton if you disagree

ps
my guru is colin chapman
have you ever driven a caterham?
if weight is insignificant why are all race cars lightened?
weight improves traction but nothing else. to make a car go faster you make it lighter.

ps
like i said, no offence to you, Perra.
i just find the obsession with the later cars to be feeble minded as the 32 is the superior drive, but wasn't marketed in the way the 34 was

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a 350z roadstar (well the wifes) R33 GTR around 450bhp and a R35

why do you need 500 to 600? The 450 R33 is a different league to the 350z in performance

maintaing a 500-600bhp car is going to be a lot more than a 450 to 500 one
Hi Robbie,

Thanks for posting... You're a lucky man! :)

In terms of driving quality and fun... How does the R33 compare to the 350z? I've driven a stock(ish) R33, but not one with that much power...

I think 450 - 500bhp is enough for anyone on the roads! So I'd be happy with that. My 350z has been loaded with nitrous and makes around 380bhp (with nitrous on). - I still feel that this is not enough.

This won't be a daily driver for me as I commute to work. In terms of the car as a whole (interior, looks, feel, quality)... what do you prefer out of the zed and the R33?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm not new to the tuning scene.

I wouldn't mind having an R32 for a second car, and I was VERY seriously considering the top secret tuned one that was on pistonheads recently... but the problem is, due to my city lifestyle, I kind of need one car that does all... I only drive on the weekends and evenings. The problem with the R32 is that it is old, doesn't have the best interior, and is definately the least best looking of the bunch (to me).

For the amount of cash one would spend on getting an R32 done up to a decent standard, you could probably buy yourself a supercharged convertible E46 M3 or something; which is a nice place to be inside as well as having a considerable poke. Now I know that the R32 would probably be more fun to drive... but for me, it's about having a more "complete" car.. not just one that excels greatly in one area.

I hope that makes sense... this is why I'm thinking R33/34 GTR would suit me nicely.

a few issues with your post...

do you have any idea of the routes to be taken to get 600hp?

there are many cars that will make 600hp- once or twice

there are some that will make 600hp............eventually (lag)

or there's those that have been done properly and will make it every time you plant your foot, day in, day out, for many years

this will not be a 'semi-tuned' car, as you put it, but one that someone will have spent tens of thousands on

the secret is in the bottom end; the best street driven skylines will all have larger capacity engines, 2.8 or preferably 3 litre. a basic 3 litre short engine from OS will cost £10k just for the block, crank rods and pistons, before you look at the head, turbos, cams, cooling, engine management, clutch, gearbox, suspension before you even get onto jewellery like wheels and body parts

trying to get the cheapest 600hp car will end in tears. you're much better off trying to find a reasonably priced increased capacity motor, as this is where the money goes and where the reliability comes from. this is also where you will get the best value for money as proper built cars sell for a fraction of what they cost to build- it's just that was a really big number to begin with
eg i've spent more than 60k on my 32 and i'd struggle to get 30 for it

and why a 34?
they are the heaviest rb, and since engines are interchangeable between 32, 33 & 34 why not go for the one with the best and lightest chassis, the 32?

·
Through the Night
4,267 Posts
gavman;1190193 the 35 is quick despite being heavy said:
Who cares if it weighs 4 tonnes ,it's still the quickest so far in every department ,and needs pretty much bugger all spending on it to get to well over 500bhp .
Any car would be quicker if lighter Lol.

So the 32 is light yes, but not everyone one wants to buy one .

·
Registered
25,955 Posts
You have seen an R33 GT-R interior? they are not the nicest

i actually think the 32 has the best interior out of them all,

they are all "old" you can have a high quality R32 which is head and shoulders above a 33 or the other way around

all depends on the car & how you want to drive it.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Now I know that the R32 would probably be more fun to drive... but for me, it's about having a more "complete" car.. not just one that excels greatly in one area.
If that's what you're after buy the M3. Driving a GTR everyday as well as living in the city would make the novelty wear off quickly for me.

Not to mention develop a giant left leg!:D

1 - 20 of 66 Posts