GTR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to let someone in the back of the car the other day via the drivers seat and went to pull it forward and nothing really. It brought the back part forward, but did not slide the seat? Any ideas on what to look for??

Also with regards to the HICAS system, when it kicks in does it flash up on the dash as some TC devices do, or does it just do it anyway? Reason I ask is I overtook something the other day and pulled in afterwards as u do and it felt to sharp and quick as if the back was sliding but it wasn't if that makes sense?!?! Double the speed of what a normal lane return would be like, would this be HICAS kicking in?

Sorry the dumb questions but thought this be the best place to ask.

Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
suggestions

Hi Rich,

My drivers seat doesn't go forward like the passenger seat it just folds.

This is common on a lot of cars but it stops you having to mess about with the driving position.

it they want more foot space tell the passengers to get in and out of the passenger's side.;)

As for the HICASS it does feel a bit strange but I have never noticed if the light comes on when it is operating as I am usually too busy to see it !!
I have noticed it goes a bit mad on really hard braking and it felt so wierd the first time it happened I thought I was going to crash !!

happy skylining...

Steve

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for that mate as I wondered if the seat had gone all screwey as I hadn't noticed before.

As for the HICASS (Or HICAS as I said, DOH!) yeah it does feel strange and I did think I was gonna crash as it really felt as if the back end was coming out, but really it was coming in. Just caught me off guard thats all.

Another thing not sure if anyone can help with, I fitted my kenwood head unit the other day and all went well, but when I went to fit the plastic facia surround for the head unit it was too big to slot in as the dash surrond incase's it too much? Anyone else had this as I don't really wanna trim the head facia surround to make it look a bodge job?

Many thx

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Stereo.

Hi Rich,

I fitted my sony head unit a month or so back and had the same problem I.E the trim bit wont fit into the dash hole ??

I used a junior hacksaw and cut a strip about half of the width of the trim from the sides and bottom then rounded the cut out using a pencil in some sandpaper to give me a rounded profile.
with a few attempts, not taking all of the meat off at once I was able to secure the trim into its correct position.

I suggest you do the cutting and filing away from the car or else you'll be picking little pieces of plastic out of your carpets for years !!

now I just have to remove the stereo again and put in the the little fork things that hold the trim in place.

HTH

Steve

·
Registered
666 Posts
I seem to remember Tony from Abbey telling me (a few years ago so I may be slighltly inaccuarate) that every 200 or so miles the hicas re-calibrates itself and you could feel the back end wriggle for little or no reason. I have only ever felt this once whilst driving along a straight road, and that was a few thousand miles ago.
Perhaps this is what was happening and it exaggerated the motion which was already occuring.

Also if disconnecting/reconnecting the battery always ensure the wheels are pointing straight ahead as re-calibration occurs when the battery is re-connected, and the wheels should be straight ahead for this.

If someone knows more details about this then they can perhaps elaborate more accurately.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Stereo fitment !

Hi Rich,

I had a Kenwood head unit installed in my 33 about a year back now, the reason I decided to opt for the Kenwood was the fact that at the time, they were the only make where the surround on the front of the unit clips off to enable the unit to be flush fitting in the dashboard.

I did try with other makes and couldn't have the front of the unit sticking out of the dashboard as it looked horrible ! Plus I didn't want to cut the dash in case I decide to sell the car and re-install the standard unit when selling.

I don't know if this surround on the new Kenwoods clip off though, likewise, other makes now may include this to solve these problems.

Hope this helps you out.

:)

Shaun.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its a 678R kenwood so the surround clips off, looks like I'm gonna have to chop it then to make it fit! :lol:

As for the HICASS I will just learn to respect as it nearly caught me out.;)

Thanks for all the adivce peeps:smokin:

·
Registered
6,091 Posts
Kenwood

Hi Rich
I fitted a kenwood 9070 in my car last year and the clip on trim goes on the radio before the main car dash goes back into place
It fits perfectly
:cool:
Best regards

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I tried that one but the surround on my one is too chunky and the dash won't clip back into place.

Bit of an ass but sure I will figure something! Thanks for the advice though.:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts