GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally got a few hours yesterday to give the car a good going over. The car wasn’t horrendous, mainly just surface dirt, road film and dust from sitting in the garage without being covered but, also a few marks that needed getting shot of.

Washed with Serious Performance Ultra Gloss Shampoo using a soon to be released wash mitt, and dried with an Aquatouch large FBZ microfibre towel.

Then it was onto the polishing. No real swirls to remove, a few light spider web scratches and wanted to remove some other light marks that have been gained throughout the summer, so used Poorboys SSR 2 on a white Lake Country polishing pad using the Porter Cable machine polisher (PC) at speed 5…… Results on the bonnet:

Then onto cleansing and sealing. I could have done the next steps easily by hand but, being that I had the machine already out I thought I’d carry on using it for speed of application.
The SSR 2 had left a good enough finish that I could have gone straight to using the sealant but, wanted to make sure the surface was spot on, and gain a little extra shine, so applied the Serious Performance Paint Cleanser using a Meguiars finishing pad at speed 3 on the PC. Applied to half the car, then removed with a Paradise Monster Fluffy Microfibre towel, then did the other half. Then finally onto the Serious Performance Polymer Super Sealant, applied with different finishing pad at speed 3 using the PC. Once applied to the whole car (including wheels) it was left for 15 – 20 minutes to cure.
Sealant appliedand curing:

In the meantime I applied Poorboys Bold N Bright to the tyres, Poorboys Natural Look Dressing to the front lip spoiler and gave the exhaust and polished lips on the wheels a quick going over. Interior was given a quick wipe over with a damp microfibre cloth but, didn’t really need any attention.
Once the sealant was removed with a couple of Paradise Monster Fluffy microfibre towels, I was pretty happy!

Passenger side door:

Passenger side:

Boot and spoiler:

Driver side rear wing:

Front end:

Exhaust and inside of rear wheel:

Interior:

And finally, put away, ready for next weeks Grasshopper meet….

Time taken; approx 5-6 hours.

Hope you like!
Cheers :smokin:.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Hi Alex

Great Job as always, i must get you to do my car! So you can show me how to get shot of those dam swirl marks.:bowdown1: :bowdown1:
See you next week end at the hopper.

John

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
NIce one Alex - your car is looking fantastic, as ever ... see you at the 'hopper mate :)

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Awesome stuff Alex - looks like it just rolled off the production line (probably better in fact :) )

How much would it cost to put together a pack including all the stuff you used to get that finish ?

·
Vendor
12,625 Posts
Hi Fella's

I've just received a box of cleaning products from Alex, all i can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!! As you probably know my car usually looks well polished, well after a session of Alex's recommended products i'm truly amazed at the difference. I am now wondering just how i got along without his polishes. A quick wash down with the poorboy shampoo and mitt, then a soft claybar session followed by the paint cleaner and then sealer. I'll post up some pictures as soon as the weather breaks, you cannot fail to be impressed. It puts my previous efforts to shame:eek: :eek:

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Yep im with you on that one Dave.
Alex's stuff is firstclass, been getting bits of him for a while now. Can't recommend P21S carnuba wax highly enough and the claybar makes the paint oh so smooth.

·
Vendor
12,625 Posts
im amazed at what his microfibre towels do!!!!!!!!!!!!!! makes other clothes feel like carpet samples:chuckle: :chuckle:

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks chaps! :smokin:

Dave - Glad you got on with everything okay, and like the microfibre cloths :chuckle:

Bean - The products don't cost that much... around £50.00 for my three products, the light polish and all microfibre cloths, wash mitt and drying towel. The real cost comes with the Porter Cable polishing machine. They come from the US, from either Autopia or Detailers Paradise (these are the ones I know and use). You can buy them on their own or in kits with buffing pads included. Once in the UK (can't remember what the voltage is in Japan?) you need a step down transformer (240 - 110v), so it comes to around £150 - 170 all in. I sell all the accessories like buffing pads etc but, because the machines aren't e-marked for use in Europe I don't sell the actual machine myself. Some people do but they are very expensive......
They are generally very safe to use. Unlike a rotary machine that just spins, the PC is random orbit so jiggles as well, thus making it alot safer for less experienced (and experienced) people to use without the risk of burning through the paint... And you get pretty good results as long as your patient and don't try to do too much to quickly. Then once your happy, I just tend to maintain a couple of times a year with a very light abrasive (such as the Poorboys SSR 2). For swirl removing first off, you'd probably need something a tad harsher like SSR 2.5, and maybe a light cutting pad, then follow up with a lighter polish and pad to perfect the shine....... I do use the machine alot though to apply cleansers or sealants as you get a really nice, thin even coat on the paint.

Steve, hope that answers your Q as well :).

Any other info, just ask.
Cheers.

·
Registered
7,624 Posts
Awesome stuff Alex - looks like it just rolled off the production line (probably better in fact :) )

How much would it cost to put together a pack including all the stuff you used to get that finish ?
Ditto that. Christmas present time... :)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts