GTR Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've just come in from stripping the Water Pump off my R32 GTR. Grrrrrr!!!

Well, I had a nightmare undoing the Crank bolt. I tried chocking the wheels, wedging the brakes on with wood between the pedal and drivers seat.....

So, I stopped and looked, then thought, and looked some more....and tried this:-

Get a strip of mild steel bar, say, 6mm thick by 25mm wide. Drill a 10mm hole in it, then get an old M10 bolt and cut a piece off, say 10mm long. Pass the bolt through the bar, and into one of the drilled balancing holes on the front of the pulley, and lock in place with a small G clamp.

Turn the Pulley so the bar is wedged between a small piece of wood to protect the pulley and the ground (Much like wedging a bar between your wheel studs to undo the large centre Driveshaft nut). Get out your trusty 3 foot breaker bar, and hey presto, the 30mm nut cracks undone!!

This saves all the hassle of using a impact gun or removing the starter to lock the flywheel.

And..................it works:smokin: :smokin:

Regards

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Some just fit a socket on the crank bolt, wedge it securely, and turn the engine over on the starter. Hey presto, undone!!!!

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
Some just fit a socket on the crank bolt, wedge it securely, and turn the engine over on the starter. Hey presto, undone!!!!
Which is fine on any car with a keyed lower pulley, Dont do this on any car unless your sure its not a freewheeling lower pulley... :) The later ford zetec and renault twincams are two examples that spring to mind. I still dont know why they changed or what was wrong with keyed pulleys.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts