GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i would like to ask the mods why the traders on here, persistently keep advertising things for sale but asked to be pm for price,i would also like to ask when someone privately puts something up for sale,why you are on their case straight away,i haven't got a particular axe to grind but just find it irritating,that there's one rule for one and not the other.(rant over)

simon

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
i would like to ask the mods why the traders on here, persistently keep advertising things for sale but asked to be pm for price,i would also like to ask when someone privately puts something up for sale,why you are on their case straight away,i haven't got a particular axe to grind but just find it irritating,that there's one rule for one and not the other.(rant over)

simon

Fair point....

Had noticed this also.

TT

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
agree, this is very annyoing. It usually means its going to cost way more than it should. I don't bother with those for sale adds due to that reason

·
Premium Member
13,400 Posts
I did raise this some time back and the answer was a bit inconclusive.

If you're a private seller you should know how much you want for something. If not, you're going to try for top dollar on ebay.

In the case of traders, I got the impression that if prices were advertised then another trader could PM an interested party with a slightly lower offer and could end up always winning the business. Newera tend to state that exchange rates differ and that's why they won't commit to firm pricing but I'm not sure how valid that is.

I used to think it was unfair that traders got to keep prices unknown and private sellers had to disclose but I don't think there have ever been that many complaints about it. Also, the private seller often only has one of anything for sale and it's unlikely someone else will try and sell the same thing under their nose as we always remove the old 'I've got one of those if you're interested' type posts from FS threads anyway. If forum sponsors don't feel they're getting a fair slice of the pie, they're not going to renew so I suppose there is a case for keeping them happy, to a degree.

I can certainly raise the point again but I think the situation will remain as it is to be honest.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
its not creating competition. Its similar to price fixing and at an uneducated guess, possibly against a consumer law

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
I know one trader who not only has hidden fees but also depending on who you are charges a different price and sometimes makes up the price as he goes along :rolleyes:

Let's just say I would not use that trader for anything no matter how good the deal is.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I know one trader who not only has hidden fees but also depending on who you are charges a different price and sometimes makes up the price as he goes along :rolleyes:

Let's just say I would not use that trader for anything no matter how good the deal is.
:bowdown1:

·
Super Moderator
16,093 Posts
If you don't like how a trader trades, then don't trade with them. It's a free country!

·
Registered
425 Posts
I agree , there is quite a few foreign traders on here now that , 1 trader can get the monopoly on not having to display prices ! I mean the rate in any currency is that , so if you trade in Europe prices in Euro , trade in Britain prices in £ , trade in Japan prices in Yen .
All that's gotta be done is a simply equation for buyers to work out final price , if they can't work that out , if the trader wants the sale they'll help them out

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
I can understand traders problems.
They put a price up and as soon as someone looks interested others can PM them undercutting the price.

I'd much rather traders had clear pricing, at least so I can see I'm paying the same as everyone else, but I just don't think it's viable due to the way the system works with PMs etc...

·
Registered
425 Posts
If you don't like how a trader trades, then don't trade with them. It's a free country!
Fair answer ! but just a question , for many years on here a for sale add comes up . No price ,where private or trader . You have replied to both private and trader " forum rules must post a price " but not some traders , is this not a forum rule regarding Traders

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Well from my experience some 'favoured' traders are immune to any kind of wrist slapping whilst others will be punished. There should be one rule and it should be enforced equally. As said so called individuals should never be allowed to become bigger than the forum.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I think traders should be made to put up prices that way us customers could get things cheaper, if traders don't need to put prices up I can't see why private sellers do

·
Super Moderator
16,093 Posts
For private yes we do enforce it, simply because we are not ebay and things get very messy indeed if there is a PM auction going on.

We did used to enforce public pricing for traders. But I am afraid not everybody plays the game and plays the PM system, and there are genuine issues around currency fluctuations. So for now we allow the traders pretty loose reigns. We'd prefer it, but we don't enforce it. My own view is market forces will dictate, if you're having to chase a trader for prices and it irks you, you'll spend elsewhere. Plenty of places on and off the board that display it all if that's what you prefer.

1 - 20 of 183 Posts