GTR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was talking to a mate about GTR's and we were discussing how much people spend on them to prevent issues in the future (forged pistons / rods / coolers etc) along with numerous dyno runs to ensure everything is ok. Servicing every 6000 miles, oil every 3000 miles, super unleaded only blah blah blah.

He pretty much said "christ do you think it would be cheaper just to thrash the engine anyway without all the pampering and panic mods and get your enjoyment and just drop in another decent used one when it goes pop?"

For a minute i kind of had to think about it! :blahblah:

·
Registered
432 Posts
koopa said:
He pretty much said "christ do you think it would be cheaper just to thrash the engine anyway without all the pampering and panic mods and get your enjoyment and just drop in another decent used one when it goes pop?"
Erm.... Nope. It might be cheaper ( i doubt it however) But it would be a LOT more hassle.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Bollocks would it be more hassle. You can change engines over easily in a day with access to a ramp and someone to help you. Took me the best part of a year to source the parts / skills / knowledge etc to build my relatively modest engine setup.

Mind you, half the stuff people do is because they're paranoid over internet rumours or what 'their mate' said :clap:

·
Registered
854 Posts
probably depends a lot on what power you want to run. standard engine running standard power should last well if thrashed anyway so you dont need to change often. try and wind it up to 600bhp and youll be blowing them for a pass time!!!!
agree with pikey though. far easier to change an engine than spec one, build it and set it up CORRECTLY..... (IMHO)!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I think this is wht the aussies produce high power skylines so much easier and cheaper...

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
How much does a GT-R engine cost X how many times you would blow it in a year for example? I was lead to believe a 2nd hand engine was in the region of £3K to £4k? A couple of whose a year may change your mind :bawling:

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
but then you have the argument of getting a cheaper oz-sourced RB30 that might be a better tuning base / stronger engine

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.