GTR Forum banner

241 - 258 of 258 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #242
Thank you, they're so much brighter! Well worth doing!

Oh that is a good idea! I didn't think of mounting it on the steering column cowl. :) I've got the Border triple gauge pod to go on the centre of the dash, I was going to mould it into that, but that looks really cool... I may have to nick that idea off you. :D

Forgot to add I've also got the Nismo carbon mirror cover coming (for the R33 this time!) and the Zoom Engineering black rear view mirror arm... thing... I'll sell the carbon cover for the R32/34, hopefully get a bit of money back on that. They're not cheap! Oh, I also have the Zoom Engineering extra wide blue wing mirror glass. I need to get pictures. :smokin:

Plenty to be getting on with, I don't have a lot of fuel in the car atm so it would be a perfect time to do the fuel pump!

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
Thanks, yeah I used araldite to bond it on and black textured bumper spray to finish it. Il be doing the other one soon so can get some pics of how I do it. I quite like the idea of getting all the gauges etc in one place because when your on a trackday you don***8217;t think of looking everywhere for gauges.
Yes! I need to see these shiny things! Pics please!!

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #244
Few pics of the shinies… :D

I put the Greddy oil filter relocation kit together a while back, the bracket is already on the car though. I'll cable tie the shrouds on I think, so they won't move or come off once installed.

Zoom Engineering Extra Blue Wide mirrors.

Robson Leather handbrake lever cover.
Instructions are, of course, in Japanese... I'll use AirTranslator as it has been pretty good so far! I'll also add the Mine's handbrake and gearshift gaitors to my wish list. Not cheap, but they're also nappa leather with a red stitch. :)

New Samco power steering hoses, in blue of course. Forgive the arty farty shot, I was messing about with different things on the phone camera!

Oh, here's a pic of my modified Okuyama cooling panel. I thought the scoop was going to be filled and then sprayed, but no. :rolleyes: Hopefully function over form, plus you won't really the scoop anyway. Colour is the same as the engine covers, and is bloody lovely. :D

More OEM clips, bolts and a new side light bulb holder, new belts for next service (and to replace the ones that had AC coolant on them. :eek: )

A few tools: bargain seat / mechanics roller bed from Aldi, Ryobi bits for my new drills, digital calipers, a Sealey syringe for removing PS fluid (for PS hose change) and a big ****ing Snap-On torque wrench I, "liberated", from work. :chuckle:

I had to do it... A couple of B&W photos of my engine bay and "Nismo Garage" - At least it will be once I've gotten around to prepping the walls and painting it red! :chuckle:

Oh the weird looking paint on the front engine cover is a mix of dust and light / flash reflection combined with the grayscale filter. It had me worried too! Lol :eek:

That's it for now, I'm hoping to get Thursday on the car next week, that's the plan anyway! HPI front pipe and a couple of other bits should be here by then too. :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
The Robson stuff came with instructions, interesting as mine didn't (Gear & handbrake boot), I am hoping there are no oddities & they're relatively easy to install... The rest of the parts looks good as well!

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #247
The handbrake and shift gaiters are pretty self explanatory (at least on the R33) - Removing the gear surround you'll have starlock washers which hold the original gaiter on. Remove those, swap gaiters (should have pre cut holes) and put the washers back. :)

Handbrake is easy if the R34 is the same as the R33? It'll pull out from the pocket it sits in, the new one should have a metal bar stitched in, this then fits back in a couple of recesses inside where the lever comes out, if that makes sense. As for the Robson handbrake lever cover, I translated the instructions and you simply cut the old one off, pop the plastic retainer out a little (on the button end) slide the new boot on, sanding the lever foam(?) a little if needed, but it should be a tight fit, fold the ends in and replace the plastic retainer to secure the leather.

I hope it is as easy at it sounds! Lol Hoping to have a go this week, unfortunately I have an eye infection now so can see bugger all out of my left eye! There is always something else. :(

Good news though, my RHD Japan parcel arrived a day early, so more shinies to add to the collection, lol. :D

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #248 (Edited)
Good evening!

Well, once again I have forgotten to come back with pics and an update, lol. My RHD Japan parcel from the last update was my HPI front pipe (bigger than the Fujitsubo), a ZOOM engineering black rear view mirror arm and the correct Nismo carbon mirror cover! Like an idiot, I've forgotten to take pictures. I'll get some tomorrow, but for now, I have a few other bits to show you.

Firstly, I haven't had a lot of time to do anything major mechanically, as I had to fit a new front bumper and new alternator to my sister in law's Tigra! I have also installed new interior trim pieces in the 86, a new stereo and new Valenti V2 rear lights. I'll have to update my 86 thread at some point... However, I have been playing around with the new GTR arch liners though, getting them in and all new clips installed. Plus cutting out a couple of bolts that shouldn't have been there holding the old ones in! :rolleyes:

I've finally fitted my new EBC front pads (forgive the rusty discs, I need to move the car around more often!) Rear pads will be done later. My K-Sport callipers are the older type, which they no longer support, but the seals, etc were all in good nick so they're staying for now. Plus I can't afford new callipers yet anyway. :p

The old brake ducts were fitted to the new OEM splash guards, all fixings were replaced (those that were actually there, anyway..) and then trial fitted back on the car, new clips were used as most of mine were wrong or missing! So frustrating! I'm tempted by new ducts, but is it really worth it? They'll only get dirty anyway!

Every picture I take, I notice more rusty bits or things covered in that fucking white "underseal" that was used on the car before my ownership! Something I know Cliff was never happy about either. On my wish list are the front and rear bolt kits from Steve at SR Autobodies and the Nismo front and rear anti roll bars. And a refurb of the brackets. And paint / treat any rusty areas...

I finally fitted my Nismo oil cooler! Then took it off, convinced I'd built it wrong because it didn't sit "right". Turns out it was actually right the first time, and in my annoyance after I'd rebuilt it (twice), the Nismo logo was now back to front! I can't tell you how much this annoys me, I really want to take it off and have it the other way around. Lol Am I mad or just a bit OCD? Anyway, I'll need to paint the 2 new holes in the front crash bar to protect the metal from the elements, so it might come off then... I also fitted the braided lines and marked up the hot and cold ends, ready for installation once I get the old collector / plenum off. This was when I noticed the plastic shrouding had twisted around so the gap meets the front of the car, ready to be exposed to the elements! ARGH!! New barbed cable ties ordered, so I can redo those too. Lol It'll be covered by the lower engine cover anyway, but, OCD. :p

I've bought myself a set of alloy AN spanners to get everything tightened up once the install is finalised.

Another project revisited was the Nismo logo on my intercooler. It sat far too high up and was obscured by the front bumper. So, counting the bars on the genuine item, I got it as close as I could to that. It didn't come out too badly, little bit of run but the paint got cold quite quickly in the summer house, and I used a gloss black Hammerite rather than my go-to Canbrush sprays. Still, from a distance it looks good, and I'm fairly happy with it.

This wouldn't be an update without the obligatory new Nismo parts now though, would it! And who am I to disappoint? ?
Firstly though, I couldn't resist a bargain after seeing it used on KevR32's build thread. Good enough for Kev...

Clarity Acoustics sound deadening. 44sq ft for £55! I bought their fitting kit too. Hopefully it'll make the cabin slightly more refined and stereo a bit clearer. Oh, it weighs a fucking ton so a good job I'll end up with more power once finished!

And some Nismo, of course.

Nismo S-Tune rear arch extensions and new type Nismo carbon pillar garnishes!

These bits came in a massive box with this thing, which actually cost a small third world countries GDP to ship. Anyone know what it is? ;)

Yeah baby! Genuine Nismo S-Tune / 400R front bumper! It was kind of bought out of necessity really, although I wanted it eventually, I didn't realise the OEM bumper wouldn't fit with the Nismo oil cooler installed. The indicator and air duct in the front fouls on the housing so it had to go. I didn't want to cut my bumper and risk it still not fitting, so this bad boy was ordered.

I've bought new M6 chimney nuts with bolts, washers and plastic washers to fit the splitter to the bumper, some trim tools and a few other bits and bobs from t'bay to make life easier. Next on my shopping list is the East Bear clear front indicators. I do have Nismo clear fronts but they're old, a bit cloudy, and one has fallen apart inside and has no clips to fix into the housing anyway! It was held in by a jubilee clip, ffs. They're a sealed unit too, so I can't get the lens off to reattach the reflector.

Tomorrow I'm going to see about paint for the front bumper and rear arch extensions, and I hope, tackle the dreaded plenum change finally. I did the turbos, so I hope to be ok with this too! It'll be good to get the oil cooler and oil filter relocation plumbed in, which is the other reason to remove it. Besides fitting the Nismo collector that is... Haha.

Edit: Oh, I forgot I ordered a better gauge pod for the AEM wideband gauge and some new wheel nuts. Closed end type as the old ones were getting tatty (open end type) and just made the tatty Rota wheels look worse, if that is possible! ? Probably something else I've forgotten, but I'm off for a cup of tea!

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #252 (Edited)
Hi mate, yes kind of! :) I'm keeping the OEM lower splitter as my car is a bit too low atm and it has a few scuffs underneath, I didn't want to get the Nismo splitter and be worried about breaking it or scuffing the under panel over every bump in the road... ? I'll be going 400R / S-Tune side skirts, but keeping the OEM rear and adding the Abflug rear diffuser which I believe will line up with the Nismo arch extensions too... Might be a pic further back in the thread? ? I've seen a nice front diffuser too (400R style fitment) the name escapes me but it is carbon fibre item, reasonable at £500 or so, but shipping is almost as much again on top!

I've fitted the rear brake pads and got a garage wall undercoated last week, needs a 2nd coat and then the first coat of colour. I'll have to do a bit at a time and move stuff around! Also removed the front scuttle panel and wipers, rust wasn't as bad as I expected! Top Secret bonnet dampers fitted and a few Z-Spec dress up bolts too. Got a few new bits coming from Japan, East Bear clear front indicators, Defi control unit, OEM front grill in QM1 white (couldn't live with mine and the broken clips, etc) few OEM rubber / foam mounting trim bits for the new bumper, etc. ?

Thanks for the positive comments too chaps. ?

·
Registered
902 Posts
This is a proper thread, always a good right up and love the all the new stuff, dread to think what you've spent on postage and import tax, not to mention the handling fees, something I've had enough of to be honest and sorry I didn't get back to you about the sound deadening, just forgot, no other excuse, glad you've sorted it though, watch your fingers on the edge of that foil backing, I used an old towel wrapped round my thumb to push it in to most of the recesses, seemed to help, keep the updating I love to see things coming together.

Kev.

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #254 (Edited)
Thanks Kev ? Aye, it does annoy me too, especially a few small cheap bits, say £20 delivered from Japan, and then £12 "handling" from Parcel Farce... ridiculous it doesn't change on value! Isn't as if I'm going to leave the country over a couple of quid VAT! Lol

I'll get some pics up after work today, I've had a really useful tool to do the Nismo slave cylinder replacement later on. It just fits on top and seals the reservoir so I can pressurise the system and bleed all the air out. ?

Thanks for the positive comments as always and info on the deadening! I just zoomed in on your pics and noticed the name, a quick Google later.. bought! haha - we have cut proof gloves at work so I'll get some of those for when I do the install.

Right, better get my overalls on and do my day job! :LOL:

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Fantastic thread, have only just found it but glad I did. Your car and upgrades look fantastic. Hope you are doing well too, that was quite some opening post. Good luck with the build and I'll certainly be keeping a look out for updates. (y)

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #256 (Edited)
Fantastic thread, have only just found it but glad I did. Your car and upgrades look fantastic. Hope you are doing well too, that was quite some opening post. Good luck with the build and I'll certainly be keeping a look out for updates. (y)
Thanks mate, yes it was tough. Losing the car like that after so few miles was almost as hard as the injuries I suffered. Pretty much back to normal now, I still have foot drop but it doesn't stop me doing anything. :) I had a nice result recently too, my PPI complaint has been upheld so I'll get the money back I paid out 15-20 years ago! In a weird cosmic twist, it pays me back most of what I lost on the old GTR engine work. That then means I can pay off my credit card for what I've bought recently, and finally get our garden finished off. Hopefully save some for a bit of GTR loving too. It is weird how karma works, but hey, I'm not arguing! ?

I bought myself a Sealey brake & clutch bleeding system as it had good reviews on Amazon. Unfortunately the included cap is a twist on type, which is useless for the GTR clutch master cylinder. I checked out their universal cap, but it didn't get good reviews... Draper to the rescue! Their universal brake cap adaptor fits the master cylinder perfectly, and had good reviews. Best of all it uses the same quick coupling style as Sealey! It is an awkward fit as there is very little space around the reservoir, but it did go on. I'm yet to try it properly (only did a test fit before deciding to keep it or send it back) but it did seal. It has a chain and legs with thumbscrews to ensure it doesn't pop off while under pressure.

I got my first coat of primer on last week and put wood filler in the boxing gaps around the electrics too. I was going to fill between all the panels, but the stuff I bought was wrong, it was a super strong 2 part type wood filler. "Goes off in 30 minutes" - Did it ****... Less then 5 minutes and the stuff was like molten plastic. Stupidly hard to work with and just wouldn't spread! I scrapped that idea and used a proper wood filler instead (forgetting that is what I had bought to do the job with previously!) It took a couple of hours to go off, but at least you have adequate working time with it! I used Zinsser Bull's Eye 1-2-3 with a roller to coat the wall, it covers up any marks and is still happy over greasy / oily marks with a little sand. (Think oily fingerprints from removing turbos and engine bits, lol) - I'll add a second coat and then do the Dulux Volcanic red once I have the ceiling primed and painted on that side, "...just in case..." <splat>

I've found another company who do modular floor tiles too, Duraloc I think they're called. 500mm square tiles, I should be able to do the garage for about £600 I think, I'll have a re-measure and check. I've also bought some quick cement to fill the gaps down the sides of the floor next to the brick work. I won't do the flooring until the walls and ceiling are painted, obviously! Still thinking light grey and maybe a red border box for the GTR to sit in. :unsure:

As for the GTR, I didn't have loads of time so I got to work finally getting the old wiper arms off and removing the old scuttle panel. I wasn't sure what to expect, but it was no where near as bad as I was thinking! Just a few areas of surface rust that look worse than they actually are in the pics. Given a hoover and quick clean up with some Gunk degreaser, I was quite happy with the condition! I've taken back the surface rust and treated it with Kurust, this week I'll rub down the scuttle again. then prep, prime and paint it before the new scuttle panel and wipers arms go back on.

I also fitted the Top Secret carbon bonnet struts and a few of the Z-Spec Design dress up bolts (still loads to fit!) Sadly the bonnet hinge bolts are too short to fit with the bonnet dampers, so I'll order some longer M8's to still be able to use the dress up washers.

The dress up bolt kit comes from www.zspecdesign.com and covers a huge range of bolts on the car! I haven't used Loctite on mine yet (it is recommended to use a medium strength) as I will likely remove parts as I'm refurbing, etc. It is a great quality and certainly not a cheapo ebay jobbie! :)

Pic from their site for anyone interested:

Until next time. :D

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Thanks mate, yes it was tough. Losing the car like that after so few miles was almost as hard as the injuries I suffered. Pretty much back to normal now, I still have foot drop but it doesn't stop me doing anything. :) I had a nice result recently too, my PPI complaint has been upheld so I'll get the money back I paid out 15-20 years ago! In a weird cosmic twist, it pays me back most of what I lost on the old GTR engine work. That then means I can pay off my credit card for what I've bought recently, and finally get our garden finished off. Hopefully save some for a bit of GTR loving too. It is weird how karma works, but hey, I'm not arguing! ?

I bought myself a Sealey brake & clutch bleeding system as it had good reviews on Amazon. Unfortunately the included cap is a twist on type, which is useless for the GTR clutch master cylinder. I checked out their universal cap, but it didn't get good reviews,but Draper to the rescue! Their universal brake cap adaptor fits the master cylinder perfectly. It is an awkward fit as there is very little space around the reservoir, but it did go on. I'm yet to try it properly (only did a test fit before deciding to keep it or send it back) but it did seal. It has a chain and legs with thumbscrews to ensure it doesn't pop off while under pressure.

I got my first coat of primer on last week and put wood filler in the boxing gaps around the electrics too. I was going to fill between all the panels, but the stuff I bought was wrong, it was a super strong 2 part type wood filler. "Goes off in 30 minutes" - Did it ****... Less then 5 minutes and the stuff was like molten plastic. Stupidly hard to work with and just wouldn't spread! I scrapped that idea and used a proper wood filler instead (forgetting that is what I had bought to do the job with previously!) It took a couple of hours to go off, but at least you have adequate working time with it! I used Zinsser Bull's Eye 1-2-3 with a roller to coat the wall, it covers up any marks and is still happy over greasy / oily marks with a little sand. (Think oily fingerprints from removing turbos and engine bits, lol) - I'll add a second coat and then do the Dulux Volcanic red once I have the ceiling primed and painted on that side, "...just in case..." <splat>

I've found another company who do modular floor tiles too, Duraloc I think they're called. 500mm square tiles, I should be able to do the garage for about £600 I think, I'll have a re-measure and check. I've also bought some quick cement to fill the gaps down the sides of the floor next to the brick work. I won't do the flooring until the walls and ceiling are painted, obviously! Still thinking light grey and maybe a red border box for the GTR to sit in. :unsure:

As for the GTR, I didn't have loads of time so I got to work finally getting the old wiper arms off and removing the old scuttle panel. I wasn't sure what to expect, but it was no where near as bad as I was thinking! Just a few areas of surface rust that look worse than they actually are in the pics. Given a hoover and quick clean up with some Gunk degreaser, I was quite happy with the condition! I've taken back the surface rust and treated it with Kurust, this week I'll rub down the scuttle again. then prep, prime and paint it before the new scuttle panel and wipers arms go back on.

I also fitted the Top Secret carbon bonnet struts and a few of the Z-Spec Design dress up bolts (still loads to fit!) Sadly the bonnet hinge bolts are too short to fit with the bonnet dampers, so I'll order some longer M8's to still be able to use the dress up washers.

The dress up bolt kit comes from www.zspecdesign.com and covers a huge range of bolts on the car! I haven't used Loctite on mine yet (it is recommended to use a medium strength) as I will likely remove parts as I'm refurbing, etc. It is a great quality and certainly not a cheapo ebay jobbie! :)

Pic from their site for anyone interested:

Until next time. :D
Always look forward to updates and they don't dissapoint!

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #258
Haha thanks Sam, I try to make it interesting for others as well as being a diary of sorts for myself. :D

Bit of a mini-update as I'm back to work this week and will possibly be busy next week, I may not have a lot of time to work on the GTR.

Starting off, I've dropped the 400R bumper and N1 bumper vents off for paint! It should be back within a couple of weeks, as they're very busy with a certain forum members race cars. Some people! :p Lol I had a new Defi Advance control unit arrive; I couldn't find instructions online to fit the used one I bought, so for £99, I said sod it and bought new. I can always sell the old one after a clean up. I wanted the East Bear clear indicators anyway, so it made sense to combine postage.

I finally bit the bullet and started the old intake / collector / plenum removal too. Something I have been dreading doing if I'm honest, but as I have very little fuel in the car atm, it made sense to pull the fuel pump fuse, release the pressure and do it now.

It took about 2 days (a few hours each day) and it came out relatively easily. Certainly easier than the turbos - I'm not sure how all those 12mm nuts will go back on though! Lol :ROFLMAO: The biggest fucker was those two 10mm bolts that hold the hard pipes to the collector. One of them has to come off to remove it, and after day 1, it was at that point I walked away. It was impossible to get a stubby ratchet and socket on either, a spanner wasn't the right angle for one, wasn't really man enough for the other, and well, it was a case of getting into "Sod this, I'll pay someone to finish it!" territory...

After 3+ hours or so the next day, much swearing, cursing and wiggling, I noticed a gap between the lower 10mm bolt and bracket.

"Surely not...." <fumble fumble> "No fucking way..."

Somehow, the bolt I'd spent hours trying to get to had worked itself loose and I managed to roll it out with one finger tip. Either I was extremely lucky or my father in law is looking down on me from heaven! With that, the collector came out, it was fucking glorious and admittedly, I did a little dance. ?

Afterwards, I looked like this. On both arms. But with more cuts, bruises and grazes from day 2. Don't try doing this job with big hands...

Oh, and this happened. Broken fuel filter bracket bolts, the old bolts were like cheese and snapped with very little effort. :cautious: They now need drilling out and tapping, never a simple job, is it!? With the collector out I should have room to do it properly. I'll need to remove the lower air chamber to fit the Nismo oil cooler boss and cut / reroute the coolant hoses (not needed now) from the old heat exchanger, so that will also help with space. I've got blue silicone hoses to go on, so I'll likely change the old easy-to-get-to OEM hoses while I'm there.

And yes, give that part of the bay a bloody good clean!!

While the throttle bodies are out, I've got the perfect opportunity to install the Reimax throttle refresh kit I bought ages ago. I wasn't really sure what it was for, but it made zero difference to P&P when I bought other parts, so I ordered it. Now I have the TB's out, I can see where the Reimax kit goes. They basically replace the seals, etc. around the springs and shafts preventing crap building up. Will it make any difference? I have no idea, but it looks cool. That, and mine are all yellow and crispy!

Pic from Google as I forgot to take one!

I already have the Nismo GT intake gaskets to go on, and bought the HKS intake manifold gasket as it was cheap a few orders ago. I'm not sure I want to remove the fuel rail and injectors though, but, everything else is off and I really don't want to be doing all this again any time soon... I need to put my big boy pants on and just do it! Haha While I'm in the area, I'll have a look at draining off some of the clutch fluid and replace the seal and reservoir with the new OEM stuff I bought a while back. I've got a new TPS to go on as well actually, something else I've ordered and forgotten about! And my new front grill in QM1 has been dispatched too. Got to love buying new parts! :D

My wife says I'll have enough spares to build another R33 GTR at this rate, I don't think she's far wrong... :eek:

241 - 258 of 258 Posts