GTR Forum banner

261 - 280 of 301 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #261 (Edited)
I found a few small areas of surface rust, likely from where the car was stored outside for so long. Not a problem now as she's garaged and it is heated, but I cleaned, treated and painted the areas before I fitted the sound deadening.

I've again treated and painted the slight surface rust on the driver side, this is now dry so I can finish the last section of dynamat on the rear. I've also used the Acoustic Solutions deadener in the rear arches to dampen any road noise. I have the rubber Dodomat to go on top of all this before the carpet goes back in. Speaking of which... My wife has been talking about a carpet cleaner for a while. My GTR carpet had come out and was in need of some TLC, sooo….. Yup, we bought a Vax and it is awesome. Just look at the dirt that came out of it!

I've not finished deadening the interior yet as I'll do behind the door cards too, possibly the parcel shelf too which needs some attention anyway as the fibreboard is starting to sag. I'll also do the inner body shell in the areas you can get to - I've removed the foam Nissan fitted for now, but I'll put this back once finished. As I said, I'll be using Dodomat on top of the deadener.

I've also fitted the Nismo carbon mirror cover which you might just see behind all the dust and I had the Garage Yoshida strut brace scratch shields arrive too. Both types for the OEM brace and aftermarket brace, you know I'll be buying the titanium brace at some point! Because, NISMO!

Doing all this to make the cabin a nicer place, it seems a shame to stick with the slightly grubby Series 1 interior really, so I'll have a go at that with the Vax while it is all out!

That is, of course, before I fit this. :love:

Full Nismo interior! Oh-fucking-yes! I have a few other plans to complement this, depending on how lockdown goes. I just need to make a phone call and see if I can set wheels in motion or not yet. And with that, I'm off for a cup of tea.

Stay safe everyone.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #263
Intense update, good work
Thanks mate, this is the first time I've ever done sound deadening in a car! Learning a lot during this restoration / upgrade process! I fitted the rest of the deadener and got the closed cell foam on top. Unfortunately I ran out of both, but I had the Dodo Hex sheets turn up so I could finish inside the rear arches / rear shell. I also did the drivers door (inside) before I ran out of that too.

I'm not impressed that the forum now limits you to 20 images per post, I had to edit the last update into 3! :(

Pics:

Once complete, I then went over it all with 6mm Dodo mat, I ran out of that too towards the end, so I used any offcuts I had to fill any gaps. It isn't the neatest of jobs, but this stuff is an utter PIG to work with!! Cuts easily at first, until your knife / scissors get gummed up with glue... The backing is also super thin and just tears off in strips or tiny pieces! It lays relatively easily though, it can tear if you're not careful though (or it sticks where you don't want it!!)

I routed the subwoofer cables and new rear camera cables over the top and then installed the fresh carpet.*

* - Ok, no I didn't as I forgot to do it and had to take half the carpet up again... :rolleyes:

I broke out the Car Plan mousse stuff I've had for years (it has a brush on top) and cleaned up the rear panels before refitting them. I'm considering fitting 12mm CCF behind them to further kill any road noise from the rear, similar to what I've seen done on the front door cards (which I will also do myself.) - I was quite pleased with how they came out! The plan is to have the centre fabric panel replaced eventually, either with alcantara inserts or the same material in series 2 & 3 cars (the same as the Nismo covers too). The roof lining will also be done in charcoal alcantara. This will be a winter project, she's been off the road too long and I want to finish and drive her!

To be continued....

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #264 (Edited)
As luck would have it, my pack of Dodo hex sheets arrived along with my wife and a cup of tea. :D

The intention was to do the rear arch sections (as pictured above) and then add some under the factory speaker pods and a bit under the surround. I didn't think doing the actual inside of the door would be possible without removing a load of bolts and gubbins in the process. Well, I was wrong! My weather shield plastic was torn which provided perfect access into the door panel. Using some Dodo Hex sheets I was able to get 3 across the top half (passed the door bar) and another 2 below it. I'd already used 3 in each side of the rear arches and you only get 12 in a pack. No problem, I'll order more. Except you can't, as it is out of stock every where, even direct from Dodo UK. Bugger.... I've ordered a big roll of it instead, won't be as easy to work with but I have one spare sheet as a template to do the passenger door. I've also got 12mm CCF coming to do behind the door cards after reading about it in Aki's R33 GTR on Speed Hunters! The rest of the door will be covered in the Dodo Hex to add weight make it sound less, 90's tin can. 🤨

Hunting through my boxes of parts, I came across the R34 GTR strut plates. These were used to add rigidity to the rear suspension turrets by tying them to the rear bulk head / body. Another update I'd seen on a fellow R33 GTR owners blog! I'd read that the rear window had to come out to fit them, but it doesn't. Space is tight, but you can just get a drill in there to make the holes. I then used my Dremel and angle head to get in to enlarge the holes to M10 (same as on the strut plate) - Be warned though, access to get nuts onto the bottom of the bolts is extremely limited if you have big hands like me. I was considering putting rivnuts in, but I don't like the idea of them in such thin steel. I've used M10 bolts and large flat washers either side instead! I may go back and add either spring washers or a little Loctite to make sure they can't rattle loose.

While I was there, I added an arm to sort out my sagging parcel shelf. It's a spanner from an IKEA set of units I built ages ago! It fitted perfectly with the right angle to keep the end up. Ooer! 😆

Again, looking in my parts boxes I came across the Robson Leather handbrake handle gaiter. Very easy to fit and looks & smells lovely! "Mmmmm leather...." 🤤

And that is where I am at today. Just waiting on a delivery of sound deadening stuff now so I can finish the rear and then get the rear bench retrimmed and refitted, then do the front door cards before moving onto the front for gauges and put the dash etc. back. I'm sure it sounds easier than it'll actually be... :cautious:

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #265
Sound deadening didn't arrive until late in the day yesterday, so I only had time to add some 12mm CCF to my parcel shelf and under the rear speakers. I'm glad I did it as I found a wire had come off of the drivers side speaker! I've resoldered that on better, so hopefully it won't happen again. While I was waiting for my parcels, I installed the Nismo seat covers onto the rear bench upper and lower. I'm leaving the front seats in storage until I've finished the dash and wiring. The covers need to be massaged to settle in and help remove the creases, I can also adjust the straps if they don't 'lay' properly. Quality of them is fantastic, very, very happy with them!

While I was at the rear window, I thought I'd install the used wiper motor I bought ages ago. The 3rd attempt at getting a good one... Well, it is perfect. It just isn't for an R33 GTR. :mad: I think it is either for an R32, or an R33 GTS-T. But in no way will it ever fit my car! Angry at yet ANOTHER shit used part (described wrong too!) I've ordered a brand new rear wiper motor from Nengun. It cost me £300, but I've had enough of used parts not being as advertised, or completely different to the pictures on eBay!

Once the speaker and parcel shelf were in after a little deadening, I installed the rear bench. I tapped and replaced the two lower mounting bolts as they had always been a bit dodgy. I found the threads had started to turn and the holes in the body had started to suffer too. A quick run with an M8 tap sorted that! New M8 flanged nuts ran straight in. I'll probably add a large M8 flat washer too. I sat in the rear for a short while on each side to help settle them in, but my head touches the roof / glass so it isn't something I'll be doing once the fronts are in! 😆

They just need a little fettling around the seat belt clip. (Which were a nightmare to get out!) - Overall, I love them! They're very comfortable and really improve / modernise the look of the rear!

Speaking of new looks, I tried my Philip's X-Treme Ultinon side light LED's in my Nismo cluster after seeing them used in Shop GTR's car which was featured on Speed Hunters. The left bulbs are (I think) the Neogauge LED's from Oz. On the right are the new Ultinon 4000K. The photo doesn't show the dim / bright spots I get on the left side, it is terrible at night and hard to see your speed. The new Ultinon are a lovely warm light, everything is properly lit! They're not cheap at £13 a pair (you need 5 T10 for the dash!) but they're so worth it. The black Nismo cluster is lit up even better with these! Check out the story on SH, well worth a read. :coffee:

Recently I've also received a new, upgraded fuel pump harness from Supertec. Build quality is superb! I'll get a picture when I'm in the garage next. Really looking forward to getting that in with the Nismo fuel pump. 👌 I've also ordered new B pillar trims so I can fit the Nismo carbon pillar garnishes and new outer window seals (the bit with the felt on) as mine are old & crispy. Back in the garage on Monday, so we'll see what else I can cross off my list.

Have a good weekend all!

·
Premium Member
8,086 Posts
I’m really glad to read these type of updates! We are doing similar things to our cars, well not mine yet as it’s a bare shell but I have the same plans and even have a lot of the same parts.
How do you find the roll of sound deadening you have compared the the Dodo / Dynamat stuff?
I’ve fitted Dynamat before & the Skinz stuff and both are good. But I don’t want to buy something that will come apart later.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #267
Thank you :cool:

The Clarity Acoustics stuff was pretty easy to lay, it is hard to handle a big roll at once as it is really heavy! If I did it again I think I'd measure it and cut what I needed. The Dynamat I used were just sheets I had bought to do the doors on my GT86, but I was impatient as I'd run out of the CA stuff and used it on the GTR instead, lol. It was only their ultralight stuff, so I might add 6mm foam too? I wanted to make sure the panel poppers went back in though - too thick / too much deadening and the panels won't be secure.

The Dodomat foam roll was easy to move about being so light, but it stuck to everything! Pulling the backing off was a PITA, it would constantly come off in thin strips or stick back on itself (dry side down, so pulled glue off when you removed it!) :cautious: The Dodo Hex sheets however were a joy to use! So easy to peel and stick where you wanted it, more forgiving if you mis-align it and remove it too. I'd certainly recommend some panel wipes, I bought CA's fitting kit that came with wipes and a roller. Making sure the surface is prepped helps the deadening to stick properly. :)

Oh, looking online, Dynamat also seems to be a lot more expensive than other brands. I don't know if that makes it a lot better, or it's just the brand, but my panels make more of a 'thud' now than a 'ting' noise, hopefully it has done what I intended and not just added weight! I should get the doors finished tomorrow too, be interesting to see the difference once the stereo is installed. :)

·
Premium Member
8,086 Posts
thank you again for the feedback, always good to hear it.

To this day I think the Dynamat extreme that I applied to my old GS300 made the biggest difference to the ownership experience. I use to have a fairly powerful sound system installed and it quietened down any road noise, I got the “thud” when closing the door/boot lid and it got rid of all vibrations from the subwoofer.
It is expensive compared to the others, I’ve never been able to do a test comparing two different types next to each other, however I do have a sheet or two of them somewhere in the garage which I might dig out.

On a side note, I have a page on Instagram detailing my restoration under GTR33N if you would like to check it out, haven’t made a page on here yet but I will do eventually when time allows.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #269
No worries matey. :) I hope my thread is useful to others, as well as documenting my journey with the car. TBH I haven't got Instagram, I may well download it though just to see your progress! Always good to bounce ideas off of other owners. :)

I've just ordered some 1000g polythene sheeting so I can redo the weather sheeting on the inner door / cards. I don't know if the passenger side is the same, but £9 for 1m x 2m is more than enough to do both anyway.

Yes that satisfactory thud is something I'm jealous of in my wife's Evoque, lol. I know they're different cars, but I'd like a little bit more... luxury... in my GTR. Probably an age thing! :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #271
Thank you. :) I don't intend to drive her in the wet, but you never know with the British weather! So it makes sense to put it back again.

I got the door cards off of both sides and set to adding the deadening to the inner passenger door, followed by the outer parts of both that I felt it ok to do, avoiding any bolts or moving parts. I also added new foam under the speakers themselves, which I think should improve sound quality and prevent vibrations. I managed to remove most of the old sealant stuff, but I'll give it a proper clean when the polythene sheet and new butyl tape arrive, the tape should be easier to lay and give a neater finish!

While the passenger door card was off I gave it a good clean before adding the 12mm CCF to that and the drivers side. Having removed the metal work from both sides, I didn't want to put them back 'as is', so the spots of corrosion were cleaned off and they were painted too. No, you'll never see them, but it had to be done.

:eek:

Talking about removing bits, I removed the old B pillar trims for when the new ones arrive. Of course, they'd been removed before... 3 broken clips on each side, 1 intact each and a screw with a rawl plug stuck in the bottom clip hole of both sides! 🤨 Anyway... I've picked up some S3 interior plastic trim from eBay - It's the darker grey stuff, map lights, mirror clip and included the sun visors for a reasonable price. I've seen a headlining for sale too, but TBH for £90 shipped, I'd rather put that towards getting mine recovered instead. The trims will match the (future) darker headliner and sun visors, especially as the plastics are a much darker grey on places like the moving parts of the sun visors. The Muse Japan alcantara stuff is gorgeous, but it also comes with a very hefty price tag! :eek:

I also bought a new, improved fuel pump harness from Supertec! It gives the pump a constant 14v feed and is a lot thicker than the OEM wiring. Should give the Nismo fuel pump a kick when I install both parts! It is really well made and feels lovely! Can't wait to get it in. :D

Few other bits I've not added pictures off / forgot to mention:

New Nissan R33 GTR grill and new OEM badge (had that for a while) - My old badge is worn and the grill is tatty from repair, so it is going! My Nismo 400R bumper is also painted and in storage before it goes on the car.

And of course, my painted Nismo plenum to match the engine covers.

I just need to pull my finger out and get it all installed now rather than starting new projects on the car. I must, must get those plating tanks set up this week, I can't put old parts back on the new plenum, that'll be sacrilege! Lol

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #272
Few pics of the last couple of days work. Yesterday saw me tackle those broken fuel filter bracket bolts, at last. It is something I've been putting off if I'm honest, I hate things like this as they generally go wrong. It took a couple of hours of WD40'ing, blow torching and general whacking with a big fucking hammer and drift tools, but they finally loosened up and I managed to turn them out from the suspension side using some mole grips. I'd tried to drill them out and use a bolt extractor, but no. There wasn't enough thread on the back to get a stud extractor on them reliably either. Project thread worthy? Maybe not, but they put up a long enough fight that they're getting talked about! Fuckers...

I've cleaned the area up, retapped the threads out and treated them before painting the holes. It should make putting the filter back a damn sight easier! I found another two holes for something, also corroded and did the same to them. Not sure what they're used for, but at least they're protected now. :) I'm going to go over everything with some degreaser and a brush too, it's a mix of old oil, road grime and coolant by the looks of it, ugh. :sick:

I installed some new 8mm fuel line and a new fuel filter I've had for a while. The old stuff was pretty firmly stuck on so it got cut away! Today I went through my Defi gauge parts and decided to get the sensors installed as I want to run the cables into the dash. What I thought was a boost sensor (doh…) was actually a pressure sensor. For the fuel line. Que me taking off the new pipe I'd fitted previously to install the pressure sensor! The line it came with was still in great condition so it was used, rather than cut down the new line. I can use that for the balance tube once it is zinc plated.

You may have noticed the oil cooler lines and Greddy oil filter relocation kit. I've finally got those installed too! The Nismo oil cooler is now also the correct way around, lol. I had to do it! It made it easier to install the flow and return lines while the whole assembly was off of the car. I then torqued everything up and added oil and coolant to the car. I forgot to drain the coolant when I removed the hose from the heat exchanger, hence the wet diff case... :rolleyes: Again I'll degrease it all before I get the TB's and plenum in. I've decided not to take off the rest of the assembly, I'll leave that for when the inevitable engine pull happens so I can get the bay painted and Nismo baffled sump fitted. Plus a few other upgrades, I'm sure. ;)

As I was sorting the Defi sensors, I installed them into the Greddy OFRK housing with some PTFE tape. I was going to replace my Greddy water temperature sensor with the Defi item, but bizarrely, they're almost identical (the Greddy has a spring on the end to prevent the cable from bending too far) - the sensor plug ends are identical? As my sensor is reasonably new, I added PTFE tape to that and reinstalled it. I haven't swapped the boost sensors over yet as I ran out of time today. I'll install the bracket for the Greddy OFRK once the plenum in back in. Speaking from experience, there isn't a lot of room to manoeuvre as it is, and that bracket has sharp corners... :eek:

Next job? Well, I'm not sure. I'm at the point I can reinstall the splash guards so the new bumper, etc. can go on. I can't fit the Nismo plenum until I've painted the last throttle body and I still need to set up the zinc stripping and plating kit for all the metal work. I've also had the 12mm CCF for the rear panels come in, so I need to remove the rear seats again to install that. I also need to find where the hole is in the firewall to run the Defi cables... I've seen a 'How To' video of an R32's Defi cable routing, but nothing for an R33. :( Still waiting on the polythene sheet to finish the front doors as well!

I'll have a think about it. Thanks for reading. :)

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
Not visited for a while, some great updates!
I have a lot of very similar pictures of my door cards, I didn't have the patience for the floor so will be good to hear what you think of the difference it's made - I did my door mainly for the Audio but as I don't have a separate amp its not really done much in my car anyway!
Good to see someone else using the seat covers as I'm not yet convinced so interesting to see how they bed in as I was concerned with the baggy nature of some peoples installs, yet others seem to manage to get them close to the brochure pictures.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #274
Thanks Alex, I think the covers are all down to the install, there may be a knack to fit them or maybe it is in the Japanese instructions that I can't read... 😆 When I remove the seats to do the rear panels I'll loosen the straps on the covers and try moulding them into the seats better. I've got a translator app so I'm sure it'll be worth a scan to see if I've done something completely wrong. I did follow the install pics though and I've not sat in them since as I didn't want to get them dirty. I've not got an amp either, I only upgraded the speakers, errr.... 5 years ago? Maybe more? :unsure: They should work better now I've reattached the rear speaker wire! I've just got a little under seat type sub fitted in the boot. There isn't enough room for it under a GTR seat. Which reminds me, I need to deaden the boot floor and lid. Every little helps as they say.

The intention was to have a day off, but I had a quick hour on the old gauge wiring today. I've found where the sensor wires run though to the bulkhead / cabin and I've removed the Greddy units. Surprisingly I didn't get pissed off and just cut the wires! Lol I wasn't impressed with the wiring at first, but it all made sense as I snipped each cable tie to release the two Greddy control units, it was actually a seriously neat install and was very easy to remove everything. Just a shame the scissors threw the towel in half way through and snapped in half. 🤨 I bought a used set of Defi gauges ages ago, but bought a brand new control unit recently as I was buying big stuff from RHD anyway. Handily, Greddy and Defi have used the same colour coding on their harnesses! I checked the outputs just to be sure, but the only thing I had to do to install the Defi harness was add a ring terminal to the ground wire. Everything else went into the wiring installed for the old gauges. I plugged the Defi boost gauge in to test the system, everything worked as it should! Opening up sequence, lights on/off with the car lights and I even managed just over 0.3 bar blowing into the boost gauge hose, haha. I'm very happy as I'm not very experienced with car electrics. If only all jobs went this easily!

I'll get the sensor wires in and positioned next week, ready to fit the dash back in. I've got a Border triple gauge pod that sits over the 'hump' between the middle of the dash and passenger side so I'll run the cables up from the back of the dash I think rather than in front of it. I also had a parcel from JDM Garage, my passenger side demister vent as I put my finger through mine, like a buffoon. These are discontinued now, so I bought the passenger and driver side! They're like gold dust it seems!

It was refreshing to actually buy used parts that were exactly what they're supposed to be too, rather than some of the shit I've had...

Should be more updates next week, I can't believe it is all starting to come together. Just got to hope she starts and drives ok after all this work! And then for a remap... Still debating who to use as I keep hearing conflicting things about different places. :(

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #275
Part 1.

Has it really been two weeks already? That has gone quickly! I tried Instagram but TBH, I hated it. I don't like you can only add 10 pictures at once (and even then they're cropped...) So I gave that up as a mistake and deleted my account. It really isn't my thing at all...

Anyway, I've been pretty busy getting on with the GTR and garden, so it is that time again... Picture day! :D

We'll start off with the Nismo seat covers. They weren't too hard to fit, the only real ball ache was wrapping the centre loop and trying to get in in all around, without part of it coming out again. That was nigh on impossible and I lost my temper on more than one occasion... They eventually went in, but they're not 100%. TBH it took so long so get one done, I really don't want to be removing them to struggle for hours again! I love the look and feel, they're very comfortable to sit in and make the seats look and feel new again, which is nice!

Getting the base and back on wasn't too difficult, or at least, shouldn't have been...

It was at this point in doing the passenger side seat, that I realised the covers were numbered, and I had in fact just fitted the driver side covers. I didn't think it looked quite right on the side and I was right. So, back off they came... Yep, I'd also fitted the base to the driver side! Mistake sorted out and covers fitted, I adjusted the rear bench before fitting the front seats into the car. The upper part sits a lot 'flatter' now, the backs don't puff out and look a lot better. Annoyingly I had to go back and massage the headrest into position as I forgot to do it while I was there! Equally annoying, as I'd installed the sound deadening and CCF, the carpet pushed against the cover on the passenger seat's side when I slid it back to install the mounting bolts. I loosened off the side trim and got it back in place before installing the driver side. I didn't get a picture of after I'd sorted it, I was too excited to get the seats in!

The seats look much better now I've had a sit in them and should settle in more once I've finished her and actually get out for a drive! I've also found an eBay bargain. A black leather with red stitch cover for the arm rest lid! For £29.99 it was worth a punt, the Mine's version is £100+, depending on material, plus shipping and VAT... I haven't glued it on, I simply unscrewed the base from the lid and tucked the leather in, before reattaching the base again. It took a little fettle and a little massage to get it flush, but I love it! Best of al it is the same material as the shift and handbrake boots!

I got my stereo installed, along with the AC relocation, etc. There was a gap in between the stereo and lower trim as it doesn't meet the bottom of the stereo. Dremel to the rescue! The supplied bezel actually fits onto the stereo underneath the dash surround. It just needed a trim off the top to clear the DIN gauges, so I did that and painted it along with all the other plastics in the car. They didn't match the surround, so that got rubbed down and repainted too!

Test fitting it all before paint.

Oh, and I forgot to take a picture of it all installed. My memory lately, I swear this lockdown is making me crazy!

Of course, as has been my luck these past two weeks, I've installed all this (dash, clocks, etc...) only to find the dashboard itself isn't sat right. It has missed the central supports under the windscreen and the whole lot needs to come out so I can get to the centre bolts to give me enough 'give' to lift it into position properly. Every job I've done lately has been two steps forward followed by "Roll a die, go back D6 steps..."

Sigh :cautious:

Speaking of which, I got the new vapour barrier installed onto both doors, replaced any missing screws for the inner metal handles and fitted new pop clips into the door cards.

I forgot the pictures of the drivers door, but suffice it to say it looks the same! Happy with my handy work I tested the new stereo. The underseat sub wouldn't work and a speaker was making a horrible buzzing noise... I isolated that to the front doors and then to the drivers side. Yup! Door card off again, speaker out to find frayed wires were touching each other and shorting the speaker out at any volume over 6. I resoldered the wires and then reattached them. Perfect! Still no sub though... Que about 2 hours of hot, sweaty fault finding... It had power, signal, everything. Even the radio detected it, but nothing. I bought a new ISO harness as I couldn't use Android Auto without the handbrake signal anyway and tried it again. Nothing. In my rage at something else not working again, I cut the wires and pulled the fucking lot out. With all the deadening and CCF I've fitted, I don't need it anyway as the sound is awesome, so much better than it used to be with vibrating doors and tinny music! I no longer have to worry about what I put in the boot either now, I felt so good throwing that **** on the floor... Lol :ROFLMAO:

I've run all the cables for the Defi gauges now and installed them into the fresh A pillar and Border gauge pods. I'm still unsure where to mount the control unit though - I'm thinking of making a bracket to attach it to the upper part of the glove box. I don't really want it visible or left on the floor.

I've got more updates and pictures to add, so I'll do that in part 2! :)

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #276 (Edited)
Part 2.

I've done a fair bit of wiring while all the dash, etc was out. New earths, etc mostly. I've added a USB C plug inside the arm rest box and run the cable under the carpet into the back of the stereo. It enables me to use Android Auto for a satnav and also access all my music on my phone. It works brilliantly on my GT86 so I bought the same Pioneer SPH230-DAB. Also ordered is a new fog light switch that I can install under the dash. The old one was in the gear surround and just looked a bit naff really. I had a 4 pin switch I bought a couple of years back, but it seems a bit dodgy.

With the interior getting a lot of attention lately and the whole 'dash not sitting right, everything has to come out' debacle, I said **** that and started on the exterior instead.

My new B pillars arrived and I installed the Nismo carbon garnishes on them. Once installed, I noticed the bottom grommet is a bit loose, so I've ordered 4 new ones from Nissan Genuine I think it was. Possibly a delay on them due to Covid-19, but we'll see. The passenger side looks a little off in the picture, but I went out and checked it, it is sitting flush despite how it appears in the photo!

Shiny! :cool:

Nismo Shark do do do do do do
NISMO SHARK!

(Blame my sister for that, I've that tune stuck in my head for an hour now! Lol)

Rummaging in my parts boxes for the garnishes, etc. I came across my Nismo S-Tune clear indicators. They're pretty easy to install and my old ones have gone a bit, yellow? I'm assuming it's where the car used to be stored outdoors. There is quite a difference in colour! I'll probably fit the new GT badges soon too, I think they're stuck on though?

Probably the two biggest changes though are the Nismo 400R bumper and new HPI front pipe! I removed the decat and shortened the temp sensor boss while I was under the car, it had to come off to remove the front pipe anyway. I also neatened up the AEM wiring and added some conduit to protect the wire and a P clip to hold it up where the old earth bond attached to the heat shield.

Nope, no N1 vents. If I'm honest I quite like the clean look. I still have my vents and I'll hold onto them as I may change my mind. :unsure:

I also installed the new Phillips Extreme Ultinon sidelight bulbs, East Bear clear front indicators, new OEM grill with all new clips and my modified cooling panel. Yup, I forgot the picture of that too. :rolleyes: I'll get some more pics over the weekend. My only gripe with the bumper is that it is designed to fit the Nismo intercooler. The OEM is 70mm while the Nismo is 100mm... So, now there is a large gap which looks a bit pants. I have an EPR carbon intercooler surround but it doesn't seem to work with this bumper. I never got to fit it on the old bumper either so I'll likely sell it. I've got the Nismo big operating cylinder to go on, so while the car is in the air I might install that next week too. At least then I can get the wheels on and the car back on all fours again!

My quandary now is: Genuine Nismo intercooler for the best part of £2500 delivered from Japan (£1800 + P&P + VAT) or go for a Plazmaman 100mm (rated to 1300bhp!?) for around half that and put the rest towards a Haltech ECU? I can't afford any of it yet, but I really want a larger intercooler to fill that gap... Lol - I've ordered some mesh to protect the IC from eBay, should be here next week!

Ah, I knew I'd forgotten something (else) - Pictures of the rear cards! I removed those when I adjusted the rear seat covers and fitted the CCF onto them, before reinstalling the lot. :)

I think that is it for now! I'll get some pictures of the radio, etc. installed (before I remove it all to sort the dash!) and the cooling plate. I'm sure there will be more work next week so be prepared for more updates. :coffee:

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #277
Having a look on RHD Japan, I've found another option for a 100mm intercooler. HPI make one which is around 1/3 of the price of the Nismo item! Even with postage and VAT it'll be around £950, as opposed to £2500!

Anyway, a couple of pictures of the bits I forgot. (Excuse the mess, I haven't put the tools away yet!)

Nismo 400R Bumper:

Painted Okuyama Carbing cooling panel:

Painted dash surround and AC installed. (Needs a little fettle to alignment)

I also washed and polished the GT86 as she hasn't moved in about 2 months! 😦 I used some Soft99 Metallic, she came up lovely! (I've got some Soft99 for the GTR too. (y) )
Then my wife came home from the butchers, so we washed her Evoque and then her mum's X5 too! No pics of that though, I've got to install a new battery in the X5 as it is now "dead dead". A job for Tuesday / Wednesday if it turns up by then!

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #278
Few bits and bobs done these last couple of days. New rear wiper motor installed with refurbed wiper arm, new wiper and all new seals, etc. Unfortunately I can't find my rear wiper amp so it only works on full speed and not intermittent! So I bought a used one, from Luxembourg! 😮

Interior all reinstalled after I removed most of it to resit the dash properly! Defi gauges installed in the Border triple pod & A pillar pod and fixed into place. I've bought a new 52mm gauge pod for the AEM wideband gauge (smaller than the chunky one I have currently) which should be here by the weekend. I've also ordered some new M4 x 15mm black aluminium bolts from Pro-Bolt for the steering wheel. The old ones are 20-25mm long ebay specials and look a bit shit! Just got the Defi control unit and wiring to hide in the glove box and she's all done! ... Until I remove the rear seats to route the rear view camera signal wire that is! (And remove the old sub wiring, lol.) 😂

New fog light switch installed too.

I've trimmed the engine under panel to fit around the oil cooler hoses and had a tidy up of the garage. Again. I need to get the wheels, etc. off again as the crash bar needs to be adjusted up! There is a gap between the bonnet & grille because the bumper is too low. Annoyingly I didn't know that until it was all fitted! 🤪 I've received some new door handle escutcheons and fitted those, also a brand new drivers kick panel. There aren't many left now and mine is scratched in places. Thankfully my passenger side is all good, as they are now discontinued and out of stock! No pics as I haven't fitted it yet. I'm still waiting on the lower outer window seals for both doors, should be here by June 10th apparently. We'll see, as my tracking isn't working either... Coming from JDMPlanet which I've had no issues with before, so hopefully just a Covid related delay!

The zinc stripping and plating kits are out of the boxes and I've read the instructions. I'm just making space to set it all up now, I didn't realise how dangerous the various chemicals and salts are! Lethal if ingested, cancer causing, skin burns, etc. Scary stuff! You get a mask, gloves and glasses with each kit. I certainly won't be taking any chances with this stuff! :oops:

·
Registered
918 Posts
Keep em coming mate, I know I don't comment that often, but I read everything you post and love the updates, nice to see it coming together and dread to think what you've spent, probably best not to really.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #280
Thanks Kev 😁

I don't think about the cost tbh, some may think it is mad buying (mostly) Nismo parts when there are other brands that might do things better for cheaper, but it isn't what I want to do. A lot of work friends are mental about fishing; carbon rods, bait boats, sonar, fish trackers.... I don't understand it and I certainly wouldn't spend thousands to help me catch a fish, but they would say the same about spending it on an "old car", I'm sure. 😊

Today I got the scuttle panel painted, just waiting for the clear coat to harden (tomorrow afternoon?) and I can fit the new scuttle panel, wiper arms and wipers.

I hope you get time to do an update yourself soon and are keeping well! 😊

261 - 280 of 301 Posts