GTR Forum banner

81 - 100 of 247 Posts

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
As Nissan and other companies are putting their prices up in April, I got the green light to buy a few bits, plus a few bits I didn't mention... Lol :chuckle:

Pics to come, some of my Nismo parts won't be here until later in March or April time. Depends when Nissan pull their fingers out on their end!

• OEM QM1 white spoiler blade
  • Nismo gearbox mount
  • Nismo 600cc injectors
  • Nismo adjustable FPR
  • Nismo high capacity fuel pump
  • Nismo S-Tune valve cap set
  • Nismo S-Tune oil filler cap
  • Nissan R34 OEM clutch, brake & accelerator pedal covers + bushings
  • Nissan R34 OEM foot rest cover
  • KTS cool power suction kit
  • Apexi power intake kit
I'll get photos up when it all arrives. Hoping to get the spoiler fitted on Friday, weather permitting! Thanks to BNR34Zed for that! :thumbsup: The next couple of weeks should see the Japspeed black edition radiator fitted. I was going to fit more red hoses, but I'm thinking of buying all blue to match the KTS and Nismo hoses instead. I can sell my red hoses to fund them. Thoughts? :nervous:

Next order will likely be the Nismo hard pipe sets for the air intake and intercooler, possibly the Nismo plenum, depends on how much I have left of my overtime money and savings! Once that is all collected, Nismo R1 turbos are on the 'want' list, Along with Tomei cams, adjustable cam pulleys, greddy blue engine pulleys, etc. I'll probably leave the gearbox refresh for now until I can also afford the Nismo flywheel and super copper mix clutch, do it all while the gearbox is off! ;)
Super amazing list of parts...

Great plans ahead too. Will make it an amazing R33. Lookforward to seeing it one day.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Thank you. :)

There are so many great cars on here for inspiration, it is difficult to think what to do first! I'm happy to finally be in a position I can buy a few bits more often, or save up for the bigger stuff, without sacrificing my other hobbies. Ultimate goal is still my homage to the S-Tune / 400R cars, hopefully 'finished' by 2020 for the 25th anniversary of the launch of the R33 GTR. I'd like a streetable 500bhp with good response, while sticking to Nismo parts as much as possible! I don't think you can get the Nismo R1/R2 cams separately? Hence thinking about the Tomei type A or B's. I think the A's are better for lower HP cars, better low-mid range torque? :nervous:

I forgot to add HPI R35 AFM adaptors, so they'll go on the next order, along with the meters from eBay. I may well grab the Supertec kit for the R35 coilpacks too, should be better than the Splitfires, and cheaper than the Okada(?) plasma coilpacks! Another great upgrade I hear! I'll get my under seat sub fitted soon too, might do that Monday if I'm not on OT money grabbing again! :clap:

I wouldn't mind getting the car to a meet this year. Never been to one (or any shows) so, maybe this year. Needs a good polish first though! :tard:

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Moarrrr parts!

About time for another picture heavy, update!

I've had a load of parts arrive, waiting on more parts coming in the next couple of weeks too. I've been busy working, picking up OT as and when I can to add more to my addiction, er, collection... ;)

A few pics of what I've got so far! :thumbsup:

Nismo Intercooler Hard Pipe Kit, HPI R35 AFM Adaptors, OEM R35 AFM's, KTS Cool Power Suction Kit (replaces rubber intake hoses turbos to AFM's).

Nismo Air Intake Kit.

Nismo 600cc Injectors, Nismo FPR, Nismo High Flow Fuel Pump, Nismo Reinforced Transmission Mount, S-Tune Valve Caps, S-Tune GTR End Caps.

Nismo 600CC Injectors!

Nismo S-Tune Air Filter, Nismo Reinforced Steering Bushes, Nismo Clear Side Repeaters, Nismo Reinforced Clutch Line, Nismo S-Tune Radiator Cap, OEM Wing Bolts, OEM Dash Blank, Okuyama Carbing Radiator Panel.

I've bought new bolts and washers to get rid of the rusty shite. I'll also be removing and treating the radiator brackets to a refresh and add new rubbers! No, still not got the new radiator fitted yet! :rolleyes: I've also bought a load of new OEM clips and poppers for the interior panels and those weird screw-rivet type things (the ones that always break on removal!)

New OEM Wing Badges to replace the carbon ones I currently have.

Samco Radiator Hoses, Autobahn88 Engine Breather Hoses, OEM Radiator Rubbers, Knight Racer GTR End Caps (Plain so I can fit S-Tune covers to them).

G-Plus Heater Hoses - Sadly, wrong blue as they don't match Autobahn88 or Samco! Only cheap so may well replace...

New type dash bulbs, meant to be a lot brighter with a better light spread? We'll see, hope to fit them in the next couple of weeks.

Shift Knob finishers from the USA! Bloody postage cost me more than all three combined! Wasn't sure which I liked most, so I ordered them all. They're actually black aluminium, so match the Nismo gear knob.

I finally sourced an R33 GTR airbox too, it came complete with scoop & AFM's which was a nice bonus. Needed a good clean up though! Used some Back To Black, followed up with some 303 Aerospace sealant stuff. It isn't "Aki clean" but looks a lot better than it did! I've also ordered black rubber sponge tape to bring back the OEM look and functionality.

S-Tune Oil cap, genuine this time!!

I fitted my R34 GTR pedals and foot rest, brake and clutch were a ****ing nightmare to get on! Heat gun FTW! :chairshot

I've fitted my little underseat sub in the boot for now. All the wiring is done, and I'm currently making a new (stronger) floor to go under the carpet. It'll then be attached to the floor so it doesn't move around! I'll be going for a complete install once I have my garage, interior out job! But this will do in the interim, nice to have a little bass for once!

Template for the new floor.

Made some strut brace rubbers, they turned out ok but the 4mm thick silicone is too much I think, I'm going to use 1.5 or 2mm silicone instead.

I also treated the car to a good clean (using a new snowfoam lance!) polish and wax, she hasn't been so clean for ages! :D

As it was nice out, we went to Friday Street Café for some lunch and a drive out...

Unfortunately, my clutch made some weird noises on the way back, she drove fine but I think something broke, I heard a loud "kaaaPING!" noise, so something isn't right! It only makes a noise (screech) as you pull away, all shifting is fine and there is no "slippage". :chuckle:

So, had a chat with Ross & John at JDR, and we agreed the clutch is the most likely culprit. It has had some abuse as the car was previously used in the HKS amateur drag series by CliffJ, and the clutch has been in there since then! I've now ordered a new Nismo Super Coppermix to go in, along with a few other goodies from RHD Japan, just to make the postage worth while. ;)

Coming soon, I have:

• Nismo Super Coppermix Clutch
  • Nismo Fuel Filler Cap Cover Aluminum
  • Trust GReddy Pulley Kit (blue)
  • Nissan OEM Front Grill Emblem
  • Nissan OEM Trunk Lid Emblem
  • Nissan OEM Windscreen Cowl (Aki and his blog inspired me to change mine!)
  • Nissan OEM Windscreen Cowl Rubber
  • Nissan OEM Radiator Cooling Fan (Found mine has a small crack!
  • Nissan OEM Fan Belt
  • Nissan OEM Power Steering Belt
  • Nissan OEM Air Con Compressor Belt
My car had its A/C removed prior to my ownership, but I was given all the parts to refit it. After my wife and I went out in the GTR, we both agreed windows down is lovely (Kakimoto win!) but cooler air trumps that, but only just. It'll be going back in at some point, should be easier to do it while the radiator is out, and I'll replace the fan at the same time!

I've got my eye on many more OEM parts, and have heard Nissan are going to be reproducing parts for the R32, with the 33 and 34 to follow! Fantastic news, and means I'll be replacing some of the old worn parts like my wipers, washer bottle and coolant tank sooner rather than later. I feel they let the engine bay down a lot, and with all the parts I have to go in (and planned to come) it is going to look pretty shiny... :cool:

I've got to give a shout out to Aki Itoh of One Man's Lonely Adventures In His R33 Skyline GT-R and Speedhunters - Car Culture at Large - I've been greatly inspired by him and how he is keeping his GTR so loved and treated to some lovely parts! I hope that one day my R33 GTR looks as nice! :clap:

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
A Great read and fantastic update! You certainly are treating the R33 how it deserves to be. And so many nice parts... love it.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Thank you! :D

I've been saving (and spending!) like mad these last few months, there has been overtime nearly every week I've been on my 4 days off, so picking extra nights up before or after my night shifts has been easy. Might as well grab it while it is there!

I forgot to mention I've fitted the QM1 spoiler blade now, I bought it used from the forum and it had already been sprayed in QM1 white. Car looks much better for it I think. :) While the gearbox is out for the clutch, it'll be getting rebuilt and refreshed. It needs doing anyway, and while it isn't bad or annoying now I've fitted the standard shifter, it makes sense to do it now rather than pay out twice to have it dropped! While this is out, obviously the clutch will go in, and also the new Nismo transmission mounts and Nismo braided clutch hose will be fitted too.

Couple of pics I forgot to add, I've just been cleaning trim I've had in storage for a while. Annoyingly I noticed a crack in the radiator shroud last night! It is in a place you won't see it, and it is complete, so I may use a small run of plastic cement just to reinforce it, you won't see it when it is fitted anyway!

I bought a few black M8 bolts, plastic and stainless washers to replace the lot on the Okuyama air plate, also the OEM clips to fit them to the front bumper and some for the interior door cards. Very cheap too, I just wish I could remember where I bought them so I could order more! :confused:

Oh, I didn't get the Apexi filters in the end, hence the GTR airbox! I waited nearly three months with nothing but "should be next Monday..." after I bought an item supposedly in stock, but no, it was coming from Japan. I wouldn't have minded if I was told from the start there was a long waiting list as there is a shortage of them from the only official dealer in Europe! Got my money back instead. If the airbox is good enough for Nismo / Omori in their 500BHP+ R34 Clubman, I dare say it'll be good enough for me! :chuckle:

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Thanks Alex. :) I'm absolutely itching to get stuff in the car! Buying parts doesn't make for quite such a good read as buying and fitting them! I've got 12 days off coming up next week, but we'll be in the garden building a gabion wall and filling that, plus other garden work too. All being well, my car should be having the clutch, etc fitted that week too, providing it all turns up in time. I'm only waiting on a new front GTR badge to come into stock!

Still not sure whether to get my current parts fitted sooner (and have an interim remap) or wait for the turbos, plenum, etc and do it all at once while the engine is out. If I do it that way though, I also want the Nismo sump baffle, new Tomei cams, Tomei cam pulleys, etc. That makes it all a lot more expensive (and delayed until late this year or early next year!) but I'll only need to map it once. :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
So, as I missed out on the Nismo plenum, I've consoled myself with a couple of bits I wanted anyway:

• Nissan OEM wipers
  • Nismo Engine Mounts
  • Nismo S-Tune oil cap (ratchet type, yes I also have the billet one already!)
  • Nismo Solid Shifter
I went for the solid shifter as A: It is cheaper! And B: The Nismo short shifter makes the shift feel heavier, which means you're more likely to miss a gear under fast driving (trust me, I've done it... :eek: ) - I had a Tomei short shifter, which I sold. The solid shifter keeps the OEM "throw" characteristics but reduces it by 10%, faster shifts and still secure. Apparently feels more natural and not as forced.

My clutch, etc. is on the way, so I'll report back with pics once I have it here, and of course once fitted! :D

·
Registered
193 Posts
Looking forward to seeing those LED's in the gauges. I keep tossing the idea back and forth on if I'm gonna go that route or not with my car.

Good clean R33 and best color of course!

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Thanks Habu :)

I've changed them all at least twice now, 2nd time was with the supposedly super duper Neogauge LED's from eBay in Australia. I still got the dark areas though!

The new bulbs are SMD CREE HID and a load of other fancy acronyms... They're meant to be the latest thing in LED lighting tech though. I won't care as long as they light up my dash without dark patches! I checked all my bulbs the other day, all working fine. I'm sure my old GTR had black clocks which was perfect with LED bulbs! I have the white Nismo 320km/h in this one, can't see why that'd matter though. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #91 (Edited)
Due to illness and my knee going spectacularly wrong, I've not had a lot of chance to do much on the car. I have had a steady supply of bits arrive though, which I promptly forgot to photograph and add to my current project, er, 'picture' thread... :rolleyes:

That is about to change though! :middlefinger-smiley

My car is booked in for next week to have the gearbox rebuild, Nismo Super Coppermix clutch fitted and for my car to rejoin the 21st century by having the air conditioning refitted! That is, assuming I have all the parts and it hasn't suffered too badly after 6 years of storage. I already know all of the bolts are missing, although I'm not sure they ever came with the spares my car came with anyway!

New Nismo clutch and stack of parts to go on the car.

Not sure I have everything, but looking at FAST I know the bolts are (obviously) missing. Hopefully be able to use standard size / length bolts!

New fan to replace my cracked, aging one.

New front cowl and rubber to cap off when I "finish" my car! It'll probably go into storage for now, along with new wipers and new badges until I have a respray & 400R kit. Concentrating on the engine side first...

New Nissan OEM wiper arms.

I've now got two rear wiper arms and I managed to find my cap trim for the rear wiper! Many thanks to Dave and Chris at The GTR Shop for my rear wiper motor, rear wiper arm and knee pad! My arm has a fair bit of wear from storage, and the thread on the spindle for the arm was pretty buggered. The guys did me a great deal and gave me a free wiper arm too. This will be refurbished to (hopefully) Nissan quality, as the rear arms are now discontinued! :eek: The satin black isn't far off what it looked like originally, so I'll have a go at them next weekend, time permitting. I'm building a sleeper wall in the back garden, something else I was part-way into before my knee went! I need to get it done as our builders will be starting in the next couple of weeks!

Rear wiper arm and rear motor. I've ordered a new seal kit from Japan for the motor and replacement OEM bolts to refit it all to my car.

Rare drivers knee pad! Slight damage to the top trim clips, but shouldn't be visible once fitted. I may even fit it to my own panel... On the look out for a matching right hand pad now.

New belts to go with the refitting of my air conditioning and new GReddy pulleys! Along with a couple of other bits!

Who doesn't love boxes that say NISMO!? :smokin:

Nismo Engine Mounts.

Nismo Solid Shifter & Nismo Reinforced Steering Bushes.

Nismo S-Tune Oil Cap V2.

New Aluminium CAS Cover, shiny! :chuckle:

The keen eyed among you may have spotted I gave my air con radiator a quick refurb. It was a bit grubby, so I gave it a clean up and a couple of coats of the same satin black I used on my interior trim (Canbrush C830 Satin Black) - It does have a few dings as you'd expect from a radiator in front of the car, but otherwise appears solid. You won't really see it as I have the Okuyama Carbing cooling panel on anyway, but I wanted to tart it up a bit.

I'm quite pleased how it came out really, and it was certainly cheaper than buying a brand new unit, when mine (should be!) functional and not needing replacing because it looks a 'bit old'. Oh, and yes I removed the paint from the front of where the pipes go into, I forgot to mask it off on the first coat! Doh!

I've also been having a go at a stronger boot floor (finally!) It does still need a bit more work before I'll be 100% happy with it, the right hand side is slightly too long and fouls on a bolt that sticks up from the boot floor, and I'd like to take a little off the top and bottom edges to make it easier to get into and out of the boot. It'll certainly give a nice base to fit my little under seat sub to! I might add a hole to put your fingers into ( *snigger* :chuckle: ) and pull it out easier.

That is pretty much it for now, more pics to come once the car goes in for its work next week. She'll probably be away for a couple of weeks as the guys are very busy, usually with CT17's R34 GTR collection! :p

Next job, well that seems to change every now and then. Correction. I seem to change my mind every now and then! I was thinking Nismo plenum and the R1 turbos next, but the plenum is an engine out job as it is a real pig to do in situ, so I've read. So, I'm thinking turbos next and get all my Nismo fuelling parts fitted and car freshly remapped instead. This will be the engine side mostly finished. Then, once funds allow: Buy the Nismo plenum, engine out, strip, refresh of all bearings, new cambelt, new Tomei camshafts, etc. No point in pulling the engine twice for no reason! That should be that stage finished! After that, either body or interior? :confused:

Once I have the car back from the garage, I'll crack on with my interior bits. I'd like to get the new dash bulbs in and see what difference they make and fit my shift knob finishers to see which I like best. I may sell the others, or I may keep them as I'd like at GT86 next year as my new daily driver. I've also found a lot of the bits from my old car I thought had been binned. Coilpacks, decat pipe and red Samco intercooler hoses. I'll have a sort out and get them up for sale at some point, more funds for my Nismo addiction!

Anyway, apologies if I've gone on a bit, I've got another cold and sore throat and have been bored, hence finally sorting pics and this post out! :shy:

Bollocks, I completely forgot to add! Waiting one a few more OEM bits to come:

• OEM Washer bottle
  • OEM Coolant overflow tank
  • OEM Radiator mounting brackets
  • OEM Bonnet rubbers
  • OEM Bonnet stay
  • OEM Bonnet stay clip
  • OEM Bonnet stay grommet
  • OEM GT metal intake gasket
  • OEM Brake pipe clamps
  • OEM Oil level gauge guide
  • OEM Oil level gauge dip stick
  • OEM Rocker cover bolts (Coil pack cover)
  • OEM Rocker cover gaskets (inlet and exhaust)
Ordered some of it as it was cheap, and made the most of postage costs. £12 for a new bonnet stay!? Yes please! Seeing as my dad painted mine a few years ago with black Hammerite, and didn't rub it down or mask off the rubber! New dip stick gauge was cheap too, and will look nice with a refreshed engine. :)

·
Registered
24,953 Posts
looking good.

on a side note, glue that fuel filler cap to your OEM one.

the sticker is rubbish.

its fine on the TS ones etc, but not sure on this particular nismo one or if its the plastic used for the 35 filler cap, but it never sticks and its really annoying.

so much so i removed mine.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
looking good.

on a side note, glue that fuel filler cap to your OEM one.

the sticker is rubbish.

its fine on the TS ones etc, but not sure on this particular nismo one or if its the plastic used for the 35 filler cap, but it never sticks and its really annoying.

so much so i removed mine.
Thanks Matt, I'll do that. :) Probably won't fit it until the car is finished, just something I added to make postage worthwhile! :chuckle:

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Car has now gone in for a few bits, main work is the Japspeed radiator fitting, the gearbox / clutch work and AC to be refitted! The guys are very busy with race car preps and race meetings, so I've said no rush on my GTR.

I've got some of my parts coming next week and ordered a couple more. Couple of bits I forgot to list too. Not expecting some of it until mid-end September though!

• OEM air box bolts
  • OEM rear wiper motor bolts
  • OEM wiper arm bolt covers (these don't come with new wiper arms!)
  • OEM rear wiper washer and seal kit
  • Nismo oil separator
I've read the S15 rear boot brace fits the R33 GTR, so I bought myself a Japspeed S15 rear boot brace as genuine Nissan braces seem to be like gold dust! I hit up eBay for 19mm M10 spacers and M10 50mm fine thread bolts as I can only get 45mm or 60mm from work, can't fit it yet though, obviously! I'm thinking about spraying it satin black or the light silver Nissan / Nismo use, does anyone know the paint code?

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Car has now gone in for a few bits, main work is the Japspeed radiator fitting, the gearbox / clutch work and AC to be refitted! The guys are very busy with race car preps and race meetings, so I've said no rush on my GTR.

I've got some of my parts coming next week and ordered a couple more. Couple of bits I forgot to list too. Not expecting some of it until mid-end September though!

• OEM air box bolts
  • OEM rear wiper motor bolts
  • OEM wiper arm bolt covers (these don't come with new wiper arms!)
  • OEM rear wiper washer and seal kit
  • Nismo oil separator
I've read the S15 rear boot brace fits the R33 GTR, so I bought myself a Japspeed S15 rear boot brace as genuine Nissan braces seem to be like gold dust! I hit up eBay for 19mm M10 spacers and M10 50mm fine thread bolts as I can only get 45mm or 60mm from work, can't fit it yet though, obviously! I'm thinking about spraying it satin black or the light silver Nissan / Nismo use, does anyone know the paint code?
I have one on mine (boot brace)

·
Registered
883 Posts
Nice write up, I bet it looks like a Nissan stock room at your place, good to see the OEM bits going back on, never did understand why anyone would remove the air con in the first place, and nothing wrong with refreshing the original parts rather than buying new, something I tend to do myself from time to time.:chuckle:

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Nice write up, I bet it looks like a Nissan stock room at your place, good to see the OEM bits going back on, never did understand why anyone would remove the air con in the first place, and nothing wrong with refreshing the original parts rather than buying new, something I tend to do myself from time to time.:chuckle:
Thanks Kev, means a lot to me coming from you! I just wish I had the space to do it all myself like you do! (that, and the skill / bravery to pull things apart!) - Aye it does look like a stock room! :chuckle: - I promised the wife I wouldn't buy anything else ages ago, well, that kinda went the side a bit and I've bought a lot more than I anticipated. Totalled it all up the other night, oh my! :nervous: :runaway:

Still, more OEM to come in the future! I want all the window seals, few changes to the interior panels (moving my fog light switch...) plenty of work to be doing. Once the car is back I'll get the rear boot board finished and trimmed around the new lower boot brace. :)

How's the 32 coming? Any more pics?

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #99 (Edited)
I've had more parts from Japan arrive, with more to come next week and for a couple of weeks after that too! But, for now, I've bought an armrest / cubby box from Dave & Chris at The GTR Shop as my lid has a broken clip / catch. It is £120+ for a new lid from Nissan and is just too much for what it is! Annoyingly the clip isn't available separately... As I now have a spare complete arm rest & trim, I'm going to move my fog light switch from the gear surround, repair the hole that was made to fit it and modify a coin holder near the GTR logo for a better fog light switch.

Ordered myself some 18 gauge cable, heat shrink, connectors and a 4 pin switch. It has an LED and fog lamp logo, it just seems to be more in keeping with the GTR's 90s styling. I'll get some pics up in a bit. I'm hoping to start the wiper arm refurb this coming week too, I just need to borrow the sand blaster at work... ;) My new toy though is a new Dremel 4000 Platinum with 128 accessories and 6 attachments! Coming tomorrow from Amazon! I thought about the 8200 Platinum, but it has half the extras and is cordless, where as I wanted the corded version instead. :)

81 - 100 of 247 Posts