GTR Forum banner

141 - 160 of 247 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
Hi Jimbo,

Not a lot to report atm, I've insulated and lined the garage, picked my paint, so now I 'just' need to use some primer to paint the wood and then the red will be going on the walls. :) I've not done loads to the car recently, fitted a new bonnet under panel, ordered a few clips (after dropping a couple into the engine!) and fitted my new washer tank. I prepped the areas where the old one had leaked and gave it a go over with Kurust and then sealed with white hammerite spray paint. I'm hoping to get the bay resprayed this year so it's just to protect everything until then. Found the flooring I want, works out a lot cheaper than a resin floor and it is modular so I can do it myself. I'll also be building in storage, the more I spend on the garage though the less I have for the GTR! :(

I've also had my S15 boot brace sprayed in a close to Nismo silver, washer bottle bracket done in black and a couple of other bits done too. I finally fitted the boot brace, added my old boot board as the new one I did was too thick to fit around the brace. The older, thinner board surprisingly fits really well so I've put the carpet back down and installed my mini-sub properly. It had disconnected itself (again!) which is why it wasn't working, again... lol :chuckle: All sorted now!
I've yet to try the car with the new brace, MOT tomorrow though hence getting a few bits sorted now, looking forward to seeing what difference it makes! :)

Ooh, I've also bought a Do-Luck air con cable to relocate the AC controls... ;)

I'll get some pics up tomorrow, out today for my wife and mother in laws birthdays! Double expense! :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
Busy is the operative word! Lol Had my birthday, wedding anniversary, work, garage, house stuff, not really had loads of time with the car really. I've got all my parts in tbe garage now though, so now I need to sort through what I've got, what I can fit now, and what will have to wait. Haven't been on the forum a lot recently (though I've tried to keep up with yours and Kev's builds! ;) )

Definitely still at it, just a bit slow until funds allow me to get on with the big stuff! :D

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
Time for an update! Picture heavy, as usual. It's mostly going to be about the garage I think, but I'll start with the GTR. :)

So, I didn't add a picture of the new strut tops now the interim paint work has dried, the car has been back with me for a couple of months now, to be fair I've not had time to do an awful lot as it has been everything but work on the car lately. (A couple of weeks of playing Anthem on the Xbox One X too... :nervous: )

Here we go, you might want a cuppa before you start reading, unless you're more of a picture kinda person. :chuckle:

Engine bay post op!

It is all looking in need of a good refresh and a good clean! Working hard on getting that sorted this year, I only need my turbos now before I can get everything pulled and the bay restored to its former glory (and improved upon).

As usual, I've had more OEM parts arrive. some big, some small, but it all counts. I've fitted some of it already but the majority is for the refurb & respray of the bay.

• OEM R34 GTR rear strut top plates
  • OEM Powersteering fluid reservoir cap
  • OEM R34 rear wiper nut (it doesn't corrode like the R32/33!)
  • OEM Bonnet liner
  • OEM bonnet liner clips (as I dropped 2 into the engine bay, never to be seen again while removing the saggy old liner!)
  • OEM Rear window seal
  • Do Luck AC control extension harness

I finally installed my S15 rear boot brace after having it coated in a silver similar in colour to the silver Nismo used on their suspension arms, etc. It was a bargain from Japspeed a couple of years back? I had the bolts and inserts all ready to go, so it was good to get it mounted. Even if I did initially make a hole in the wrong place, and THEN read that the offending bolt actually comes out. :rolleyes:

Only problem with it? My newer, thicker boot board wouldn't fit. Bugger.
Trying not to tear my hair out over a 5 minute job seemingly about to turn into a much longer one, I remembered I still had my old boot board in the shed. Pretty warped (hence the new one) it actually dropped straight in, fitted perfectly on the rear boot brace and was just the right amount of warped for the carpet to lay lovely and flat. How's that for luck? It just needs a bloody good clean now! I also finally bolted down my little under seat mini sub. No longer will the bugger slide around and disconnect itself*. :double-finger:

* Not that you can hear much of anything above the Kakimoto exhaust.

I gave the area my old washer bottle had leaked over a clean up, Kurust and a top coat of white Hammerite spray to keep it sealed up until the proper refresh. I added my newly refurbed bracket, put it all back together and then spent the next half hour trying to find the rear wash nozzle hose, as I didn't want it filling the boot up with washer fluid. It is in a really awkward place to get to and I was convinced it had been cable tied up and over itself. Well, turns out it was actually fitted all along and worked perfectly. Backache for no reason then! Oops... :eek:

I didn't bother fitting the new coolant overflow tank yet as my MOT was due and I was waiting on the washer bottle bracket. I didn't see much point in rushing it out, only to remove & replace it later on. Besides which, the car won't fail for a dirty tank! It will for no windscreen washers! :chuckle:

That is about it for the GTR atm I'm afraid, nothing major to note yet! Part buying and slowly refurbing, she'll get there eventually.

Now, the garage. I'll just add pics as they're pretty self explanatory really. Our builder did the shell and outsides, his guy did the GRP roof (now finished) and I insulated and lined it myself, with help from my dad to do the ceiling. I did a bit myself using the door and celotex offcuts as my 'dead man', but it was a bloody nightmare and would only end up in me messing up or injured (or both).

So! Here we go: (Oh, might not actually been in order, I lost the will to live resizing and renaming all these files (and more!) :eek: )

Couple of bits I'm going to go back and change as I learnt what to do as I went along and I found better ways of doing things. (Cutting a ply sheet down to end on an upright stud and not half way passed it, for example!) I'm pleased with how it came out really, just needs priming and painting next and the edge trim to finish off!

Oh, and build my back wall storage.

… And buy & fit the flooring … :nervous:

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
More garage:

My "small" parts collection, cleaning bits, etc.

My absolute bargain buy too from America for the GT86. Brand new, I paid less for a set of FOUR than one wheel in the UK. Even with delivery I paid £1000 less than what I'd pay over here! Frickin bargain! Lol :chuckle: I may also have bought the TRD front bumper and sideskirts…. (kinda accidently, but I wanted them, just not as soon as that!) :p

·
Premium Member
8,052 Posts
Now that***8217;s a good update! The R34 rear top braces, I think the rear window needs to come out to fit those right? I have a pair to fit but my car will be stripped to a bare shell.

Where do you purchase your parts? I use Amayama for most of mine

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
Got the door finally then.. :)

Can't believe you choose thoose rims than my CE28's. :p
I know! The door and the electrics killed my budget, well, it was the garage budget to begin with, lol. But yes, I would have loved them but I just couldn't afford them. :( Only got the 5Zigens as they were clearance on FRSport, I still can't believe they are in perfect condition for that price! Spent my birthday money on those, haha.

Thanks Japfreak, I'm not sure if you do or not? I know you need to drill 2 holes to fit them on the R33 though. I want to do the seals on both windows anyway, so I'll bear that in mind! I saw them on www.grandtouring.cc - a blog about an R33 GTR owner, similar to Aki & BNR34. Same as the info on the R34 wiper nut.

TBH I mostly use RHDJapan, I've used Greenline(?) a couple of times too, but yes, I've spent quite a few k's with RHD these past few years! :eek:

Time to get saving again and onto the overtime, last part is the Nismo R2's, I really want to finish the garage too, can't do it all at once though unfortunately!

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
Read that blog and about the wiper nut aswell. I love the CF pipework he has brought.
Me too :) I think the new carbon intake scoop (at least on the inside) looked a bit, well, odd? :squintdan - especially for the price of it! Lovely parts, but not for me. I'm happy with the older metal ones, haha. Really want to get those fitted on mine soon! :D

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Great to see my old Skyline in such fine form, you’ve certainly gone above and beyond with it and I’m a little sad to say I always did regret selling it.
But, it couldn’t have gone to a better home, which I’m super happy for, but even 7 years and maybe 5 months later I still long for this car, I don’t know if I could ever match it.
Well done my friend, I’m always popping by to catch up :smokin:

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
Great to see my old Skyline in such fine form, you’ve certainly gone above and beyond with it and I’m a little sad to say I always did regret selling it.
But, it couldn’t have gone to a better home, which I’m super happy for, but even 7 years and maybe 5 months later I still long for this car, I don’t know if I could ever match it.
Well done my friend, I’m always popping by to catch up :smokin:
Holy shit, Cliff! :eek:

How are you? I'm glad you approve! She's not as clean as she was when I first bought her (I've only had my garage a few months) but she's certainly had a lot of time and money spent getting things done and protected for the future. I've still got the ceramics, they're still going! Lol I don't think the car will ever be truly finished, there is always something else to add or upgrade. :chuckle:

I'll keep updating this, it's almost like a diary for me now, haha - Good to know people enjoy reading as much as I enjoy the build and writing about it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Holy shit, Cliff! :eek:

How are you? I'm glad you approve! She's not as clean as she was when I first bought her (I've only had my garage a few months) but she's certainly had a lot of time and money spent getting things done and protected for the future. I've still got the ceramics, they're still going! Lol I don't think the car will ever be truly finished, there is always something else to add or upgrade. :chuckle:

I'll keep updating this, it's almost like a diary for me now, haha - Good to know people enjoy reading as much as I enjoy the build and writing about it. :thumbsup:
I cannot believe those ceramics are still on the car lol :chuckle:
When that car came over from Japan, obviously Imwas the first UK owner, it was a state, it took me a long time to clean it up, a labour of love. There were dark black marks around every window seal, every panel gap, and they wouldn’t just polish out, I used all sorts of items of scrubbing technology to get it where it was :chuckle:
Your investment paid off, I reckon that must be a 20k car now?

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Cliff, I couldn’t believe it’s been 7 years since you opted out of ownership. How times fly.
It’s always nice to see that the car is still about and being looked after.
Hey bud, long time. I pass by every now and then to see it’s progress, as I said, my best car ever and I doubt I could match it.
I’m still in the car scene, just a very different scene, no drag racing, no track work, no turbos or tuning, just a solid V8 lump and a bit of noise lol

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
I cannot believe those ceramics are still on the car lol :chuckle:
When that car came over from Japan, obviously Imwas the first UK owner, it was a state, it took me a long time to clean it up, a labour of love. There were dark black marks around every window seal, every panel gap, and they wouldn’t just polish out, I used all sorts of items of scrubbing technology to get it where it was :chuckle:
Your investment paid off, I reckon that must be a 20k car now?
Lol yes, they're still going strong! It was one of the first things I wanted to replace as everyone says they're so bad, they'll explode at the first chance they get, etc. etc. But, I had the underside sorted out instead first and as you've probably read, been collecting bits and doing things to the car as and when I'm had the extra cash. I wanted to do everything at once rather than one area at a time, which has really lead to loads of parts, and not so many actually on the car! :squintdan

Looking at similar cars to mine, I'd say it is worth more than £20k now. It is certainly insured for a lot more, as I definitely couldn't replace it for that money! I've seen cars for nearly £30k needing a proper underseal, strut tops have not done, bearing and bushes still the old originals, the list goes on. My paint work isn't as shiny as some, but that can be done easily and will stay that way she's not stored outside any longer. :)

My bonnet liner clips arrived yesterday, so I'll get those in this afternoon and have a look for my new LED dash bulbs. It is about time I got those in really! I've also ordered the full workshop manual (in English!) from JPNZ manuals. I've got the engine one, but it isn't great so I've got the complete translated version coming. Should be easier to do more work myself then! :D

What car have you got now? Everyone loves a V8! :bowdown1:

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
A few bits sorted for the garage and the GTR.

I bought myself an Evolution mitre saw and stand, nothing fancy, just big enough to do my workbench and storage stuff properly, rather than cutting it by hand and being unhappy with things not quite being the same length or cut straight!

Saw set up and space cleared.

Got the bits cut, assembled and worktop cut down as it was too deep.

Now I just need to plan and build the rest of the shelving and storage either side. We're getting a skip in soon so I can get the garage emptied of crap finally!

Few bits done on the car, nothing too exciting, I also found a brand new washer tank that I forgot I had bought last year or the year before. This is what happens when you buy parts and don't fit them! :squintdan I'll get pics and get a for sale post up soon.

Got out my Knight Racer plain carbon end caps and fitted the Nismo S-Tune overlays on them. Fitment of the caps is lovely, and include a clip to hold them to the rear of the spoiler, where as the old ones didn't.

I have three different styles of shift knob finisher (tidies up the gaiter) - I loved the first one, but it didn't suit the Nismo shift knob, the second suits it much better and is a bit more 90's looking I think. :)

I've also fitted my drivers knee pad (left side), the panel it came on had the clips broken off of it and was in a bit of a sad state. I does fit properly though, and my panel is perfect, so I may use some M6 rivnuts to attach the knee pad to my panel instead. You can't see any damage though, so it isn't an issue. :)

I pulled my dash apart to fit the new all LEDs I bought in 2017, the SMD CREE all singing all dancing 360 degree light LEDs. Well, they were shit. I didn't bother taking pics as the dim spots were worse than with the Neogauge LEDs and the bright spots were brighter! I think it is because I have the white Nismo cluster and submeter. I'll have to investigate further what I can do to illuminate it better and get a more even light spread. I never had this issue with the black cluster or submeter. :(

I looked into fitting my Nismo oil separator, but it looks like this is plumbed into the rear turbo, so I'll leave that until I get the R1's and fit it all at once. I have blue Autobahn88 hoses to go on though too, so I might do those tomorrow. I've asked RHDJapan if they can get me in the AC relocation surround from Garage Yoshida too. It isn't cheap (£350!) but it has an OEM or carbon fibre finish (wet or dry) and means the AC controls are still in front of you, just lower. This means I can then fit a double din stereo with screen and sat nav... :D A job for winter though when funds allow and I get the interior started! (That's the plan, at any rate, haha.)

Carbon version:

141 - 160 of 247 Posts