GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd start a thread as I've been collecting parts for the last 3 years or so, and have finally got round to starting it!

Not got anything wild planned, been there done that! This is just gonna be a nice road car again, new bits where needed etc.

For anyone who hasn't seen it, this is how it started:

And this is how it's been for the last 3 years:

Alex B

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Parts so far:

ARC grill mounted oil cooler, really pleased to have managed to get hold of one of these, as they are no longer available new and when they were, they cost over £600 in Japan:

I've spent a bit of time flatting it down and polishing it, not perfect but I'm pleased with it and will give it a bit more before it's fitted.

Headlight intake I've had for about 3 years, been doing a bit of work on it to make it fit nicer, getting rid of the usual dip in the top and bottom, when done I'll take a mould of it and make a new one:

Nismo style lip I got off Ebay, not great but cheap and I can sort the fitment out:

Crux bonnet, again I've had this years, really good quality and looks really good with the Do-Luck kit:

Engine damper:

Blitz boost controller from my MR2, just need to find a Blitz Power Meter to go with it!

Thats all the pictures I've got for now, got a few more bits to take pictures of when the batteries are charged though.

Alex B

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As it's been off the road for almost 3 years, a few of the plans and ideas have changed but the basic idea is still the same.

We've decided to go back to the idea of stripping the paint back to metal:

As you can see from this picture I've been stripping the paint from the kit and will be sorting the imperfections in the moulding, (the Do-Luck kit is very good quality but I want to get it better!).

I started with the rear arches to see what sort of rust issues I was going to be faced with, so far I'm pleased with the condition of the arches, (a usual area of rot in '32s).

This is the only patch of rust so far.

And the first stage on the bootlid.

Hopefully should get a lot more stripped over the next couple of days.

Alex B

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got most of the paint stripped off, just got a few edges to do when the windows are removed, I've also decided to stick with a standard bonnet, so have to strip that. Vented one is up for sale :)

Really pleased I decided to strip the paint, as there were a few nasty bits of rust that couldn't be seen:

Also uncovered the dents we repaired when I first bought it:

Bit of a slow, boring process at the moment :roll:

I've also stripped my LMGT1's and started rubbing down the rims and tidying the kerb marks:

Alex B

·
Registered
91 Posts
How does the stripping process compare with getting it dipped etc, does it remove filler etc as well? also what colour are you going to paint it? Looking good and best luck with the project!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's nowhere near as thorough as dipping, (although with enough time and patience it could be), as it's all done manually, this is in my opinion better, as it doesn't remove all the sealants etc which are essential for road cars, you can also do it with the car built up and it won't damage wiring etc.

It doesn't remove filler, although it does react with it and make it soft, when I've finished the stripping I'll sand all the filler out, (which is only the bit I put in the front wongs), and redo it, along with the carpark dints.

Not decided on a colour, although it'll probably be a House Of Kolor paint, gonna spend a few days experimenting with different colours and basecoats :)

Alex B

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
More slightly boring updates!

Changed my mind on the bonnet, so fitted a standard one and stripped the paint:

Then DA'd the residue off:

And now the filler work starts, shouldn't be too much from what I've found, front wings are going to take most of teh work.

Hopefully I should start having more interesting updates soon!

Alex B

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Small update as I've spent most of the time finishing off edges ready for primer.

Shell almost ready for primer, just fillerwork on the front wings to finish.

Also found a patch of rust that I need to cut out, luckily we've got a scrap shell so I'll be cutting this piece out and replacing it:

I've also started to strip the engine bay ready for a coat of primer:

I've got to remove more parts like the ABS pump, plenum etc.

I've also been tidying up the kit:

Hopefully the next update will be of it in primer, then I've got the problem of choosing a colour!

Alex B

·
Registered
945 Posts
Nice work mate, mine is in a similar state at the mo but im just a bit ahead of you as mine is in primer, and now I have the tedeous job of 800 wet flatting it! the trouble with body work is it feels like you arnt getting anywhere but its great when it all comes together at the end.

Keep it up

Alex

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tell me about it, we did custom paintwork and restorations for 20 years, (me personally for 10 years), once it's in primer you've hit the downhill section, (providing you got the bodywork spot on beforehand!), I like wetflatting primer, watching the guidecoat dissappearing and the primer going smooth is great!

I just still have no idea what colour to do it! :(

Alex B

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Nice one Alex, didnt spot your project until now!
Just out of interest how do you rate Media Blasters? Soda specifically?
:)
bob

1 - 20 of 22 Posts