GTR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
S**t bo**ox f**k

Couldn't make the Grasshopper today or Boxhill as started the clutch yesterday and was going to finish it off this morning but hit a snag and got severely pi**ed off and left it.

After getting the box out, replacing the clutch and putting the box back in i cant select gears. Tried adjusting the pedal thingy but still no joy. Gonna go back to it tomoorow but before i do i was just wondering if anyone had any ideas??? The clutch fitted is an OS Giken tripple and my guess is a prob with the release bearing, I was getting a bit of whine before replacing the clutch but now i'm just gettin no gears!!! You can engage though with the engine not turning over.

If anyone's got any advice I would be very grateful but I guess all should be revealed when the box comes back out tomorrw.

Cheers

Luke (a very unhappy Luke)

·
Registered
64 Posts
no gears.

HELLO MATE,
SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS, BUT AS I AM A MECHANIC I MIGHT BE ABLE TO HELP. YOU WILL HAVE TO EXPLAIN BETTER THAN " CLUTCH THINGY" THOUGH.
SOUNDS TO ME THOUGH IF YOU CAN GET THE GEARS WHEN ENGINE IS STOPPED,BUT NOT WHEN IT IS RUNNING, THAT THE CLUTCH IS NOT DISENGAGING FULLY CAUSING CLUTCH DRAG.
ARE YOU SURE THE CLUTCH PLATES ARE IN THE RIGHT WAY ROUND?..........OR HAVE YOU BLED ANY AIR OUT OF THE CLUTCH FLUID ?
TELL ME MORE!................NEIL;)

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Clutch thingy

:D
He he, as u can tell i ain't a mechanic. I was refering to the adjustment on the clutch master cylender. Havn't tried bleeding anything as no fluid lost.
Was told about the nose cone (?) which the release bearing sits over might need filing down due to the extra thickness of the clutch (tripple plate).
As I said before you can engage gears without the engine on but not when it's turning over, you attempt it and the wheels turn but it's not fully engaged and you can smell clutch.

Cheers for your help

Luke

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh yeah, as for the plates they are numbered and have been put in with numbers facing out which I would assume is correct but couldn't see any difference in either side of the plates anyway.

Cheers again

Luke

·
Registered
64 Posts
CLUTCH PROBLEM

LUKE,
STILL SOUNDS LIKE A CLEARANCE PROBLEM TO ME, THE CLUTCH CENTRE PLATES USUALLY ONLY GO IN ONE WAY, SO YOU NEED TO CHECK THIS AGAIN. WAS IT A NORMAL SINGLE PLATE CLUTCH BEFORE? HOW MUCH POWER HAVE YOU GOT, DID IT REALLY NEED A TRIPLE PLATE ?
...........................NEIL:)

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Neil,

I bought it at the beginning of the year with quite a few mods but turned down to one bar. The clutch was suppost to be uprated as the importer i got it from told me he had reciepts for it but you could tell by the feel of it that it wasn't. Since taking it out it's actually a std nissan one but the car has the mods on it for around 550 (poss more) but needed a better clutch to up the boost. The reason I went for the tripple was because I wanted to limit the possibilty of having to change it again later on down the line and not have to shell out more money that could be spent somewhere else. The car is prob running max of 400 at the mo poss 380 or so.

Luke

·
Registered
64 Posts
CLUTCH PROB.

LUKE,
OK MATE, WHAT I THINK YOU NEED TO DO IS POST A QUESTION FOR ANY OTHER R32 GTR OWNERS WHO HAVE FITTED A TRIPLE PLATE CLUTCH TO THEIR CAR TO SEE IF THEY HAD ANY CLEARANCE PROBLEMS. YOU MAY NEED TO REMOVE THE NOSE OF THE GEARBOX AND HAVE SOME MACHINED OFF IT TO ALLOW MORE CLEARANCE FOR YOUR RELEASE BEARING AS IT SOUNDS AS THOUGH IT IS PERMANENTLY IN CONTACT WHEN THERE SHOULD BE A CLEARANCE GAP. ALSO DOUBLE CHECK YOU HAVE BEEN GIVEN THE CORRECT CLUTCH FOR YOUR CAR!
................................NEIL;)

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Spoke to Ron @ RK who has the same clutch on his and he was the one who sugested filing down the nose cone which he had to do even though his was second hand. But he couldnt think of anything else either. Filing it does make sense as like you've said all it realy can be is a clearance prob.
As for the new thread I will do that now... spose I should have put a more specific title than aaaggghhh but it was my state of mind at the time.

Cheers again

Lukeh

1 - 8 of 8 Posts