GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may have seen in another thread, I went to Abbey yesterday to run my car on their Dynapack. Very pleased with the figures, at just under 1.3bar she made 459bhp at the hubs at 6700 rpm and 370 ftlbs torque at 5600 rpm. I guess that translates to around 520/530bhp at the flywheel. :)

Before this visit, I've always been in the 'road mapping is best' camp but with what I saw and experienced yesterday, I've changed camps. Of all the various attributes the Dynapack has, the one thing that struck me more than anything else was the complete lack of drama when running the car. I know this may not be totally logical but when my car has run on normal dynos, I've found it really stressful. Not sure if it's the noise or what but it just doesn't feel right, lots of drama, lots of noise, etc. With the Dynapack, it feels like the complete opposite, smooth with very little fuss. It just doesn't feel like you're stressing the car and the amount of air movement the air exchange fans they've got needs to be felt to be believed!

As a tuning tool, it's difficult to see how anything else can compare. For mapping and cam timing, it's just so simple. Do a run, make some adjustments, do another run and see how it's affected the outputs in 'black and white', well colour actually.... To try to do this on the road would be so much harder and more time consuming without necessarily getting nearly the same consistency. To do this on a wheel dyno, would imo stress the car too much. The various parameters that are being monitored are endless, all instantly available to be cross referenced.

I don't want to start a method 'war' as there are certainly people out there, Rod, Hiteq, etc. who get great results from road tuning/mapping but as a tool, this thing is the absolute dog's.... I also don't want to start a which dyno is best 'war' either as again poeple get good results from wheel dynos, all I know is that I would stick my car on this dyno and run her a couple of hours for mapping, etc. whereas I would not do the same on a wheel dyno.

Peter.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Hello peter

just the sort of power i would like on my car.
have ordered a power fc and boost controller from japan.
would i be far wrong in saying that the bits i need are:
1) bigger turbos
2) larger i/c
3) metal h/gasket
4) camshafts
5) 600 cc injectors
your comments would be appreciated.

ta.

JamesW

·
Registered
805 Posts
Peter,

Good result mate :), I think as you've tryed all the favoured dyno's now, you can safely say you're in the 500+ club with some ease :)... so any pics, vids of the car 'hooked up' then ?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Jesus Peter 4:34 am. Do you not sleep? Or were you so pleased sleep was not an option.
Congratulations:D

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
hub power ? ,wheel power?

I seen this on Marios site
does this say that on a dynapack the power will be 33% more than on a rolling road, because the power is taken from the hubs.

look here

..chasis dynos that take the reading through rollers contacting the tyres have a purported 33% power loss through the roller/tyre interface leading to a lower reading.. hence you cant really compare that to a DynoPack dyno which attatches to a hubs.

if this is the case everyone that has ran there car on a rolling road,must we add 33% on to the bhp our cars have made:rolleyes:

my last car had 422 bhp at the wheels
so with the 33% on it must have had 561 bhp at the HUBS then ??????.

THIS POWER AT THE HUBS AND THE BHP AT THE WHEELS
ARE TWO DIFFERENT FIGURES THIS NEEDS SORTING OUT NOW.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
At the end of the day the power is irrelevant from one car to the next.
I went up yesterday to be nosey and was well impressed with the set up.

This is not a dyno for shootouts or making claims in the pub it is a tuning tool. The repeatability and consistency of the readings given were incredible. Like Peter said there was so little drama associated with it.

Peter was in the car but I was standing next to it and apart from being bloody freezing in the wind there was no feeling of butterflies that you get with a rolling road.The car just squatted down at the back and rose slightly at the front just like on the road. There was no snaking about or wobbling. When I had my car done on a rolling road you got the feeling that only willpower was keeping the car on the rollers. I would have no hesitation to use this facility on my next upgrade.

Power figures were used to compare one run to the next.

Overall an excellent facility.

/Steve

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
James,

Brief spec of my car is:

2510's, elbows, 555cc inj, pump, fuel reg, PFC, PFC boost kit, Dual Dragger, cat pipe, front pipes, intake, cams, verniers, oil cooler, all fitted by myself. Still running on stock head gasket at the moment. :eek:

Ron,

Thanks, sorry no action I'm afraid. I couldn't get a proper signal for the phone most of the time hence no 'live' shots, then just got carried away with talking about the dyno....:) The only pic I kept is at the bottom, not very good though.

Ged,

Thanks, sleep, now there's an interesting concept... :p

Keith,

Calm down mate, you even forgot to say hello and well done....!!! :p

Don't really give a stuff about what your car used to make on dyno A, B or C. You can put up all the various arguments, excuses, suggestions you like about different dynos and there just won't be an answer will there. We've been down that road so many times before, it's just plain boring. All I know is what my car IS making and that this dyno is the nuts. I'll say one thing though, if my tyres cut my power by 33% cos that's the only difference, I'd be a touch surprised!

Peter.

PS. Forgot to say that any tool is only as good as the guy/s that use/s it. No worries there then...

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Abbey

Peter,
I am aiming for the exact same thing, and i am glad that abbey will be doing mine in the not so far away future.. as you say its not about boasting rights its about getting the best out of your car,,,

P.S. What clutch are you using for this power...?

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Absolutely Paul.

I've got the AP Racing clutch which is rated at (I think) 369 ftlbs! I've had it in for well over a year now and it hasn't shown any signs of not coping. Mind you, drag starts are not a speciality of mine.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
clutch

But its good enough to track the car regularly, I cant wait to get mine sorted, I have the power fc + hand controller, just picked up a hks inter thingy plus the h/p kit and boost controller , 600cc inj, clutch is being sorted by Mark , along with the fuel pump and reg and sundries, plus i have a set of 2530's gathering dust...

:D ( This smile aint big enough)

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
Sounds to me like you where having too much fun Peter :D

Nice result too :)

How is the t68i and the camera getting along ?

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, it was an enjoyable experience. I'm like a sponge where technology is concerned, may not understand it all but it soaks in nevertheless.

The Communicam seems like a good piece of kit Jason bearing in mind it's cost and limitations. No good for 'proper' pics but OK for snaps and easy to email or MMS, assuming you've got signal of course. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Abbey

Hi Peter

Congratulations on such a good results and all modded by yourself too!

Yep I have seen the Dynopack in action a few times at Abbey and it is really impresses me - it's so smooth and stress free! Mark is really a guru with it, the way he just taps in some figures on his laptop to get the best out of the engine:cool:

Nice to have met you the other saturday.

Peter M

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
Great result peter! The Dynapack really sounds like the business!! I've seen it loads of times at Nismo HQ but never seen it in action!!

Anyway you must be very pleased with your result! BTW are you just waiting for your head gasket to blow before going for a metal one?

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Shush, don't mention head gasket !! ;) It's on the list Dino but the list just gets bigger and bigger.... :(

·
Registered
446 Posts
Abbey invest thousands of pounds in new technology!
PeterE is pleased with the results!

Could be time to sit up and take note!

IMHO…..If were to consider my own selfish needs!
Bearing in mind I enjoy the odd track day, for example!!!!
I couldn't give a monkey's at max what BHP at whatever RPM i might achieve out of my engine.

Rumour has it the RB26 Exhaust and Inlet cams can vary in responses from as much as -6deg to +6deg!

What would be of interest to me would be if I could time the cams to spool up the turbo’s at the lowest rpm possible.
Now! If I thought for one second I could repeat my runs, consistently recording different parameters, results.etc.etc.
and as important, record different result achieved accurately, without roasting the arse of my engine!

Surely a step forward????????

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Congrats on the results, PeterE. Great stuff and it sounds like you're a happy man. Now go out and enjoy it to the fullest!

Cya O!

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Charlie said:
What would be of interest to me would be if I could time the cams to spool up the turbo’s at the lowest rpm possible.
Now! If I thought for one second I could repeat my runs, consistently recording different parameters, results.etc.etc.
and as important, record different result achieved accurately, without roasting the arse of my engine!

Surely a step forward????????
That's it in a nutshell Charlie, consistency without over stressing the car. It's just so easy to do a run, tweak it, do a run and see what's happened. Tuning heaven surely! I know this is the same with a wheel dyno and I don't if technically a hub dyno is any kinder but it sure feels like it is.

Thanks Gio, I do and will! :)

Peter.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Uncle P

great feedback mate and pleased to hear about this all.

I think Glen has shouted about the dyno for ages and I remember mark and tony talking about it for quite some time now.

This is clearly the way forward and this shows Abbey as having a true differentiator when it comes to tuning and set up.

Surely tuning on the road is bloody dangerous and out right irresponsible as how can you get the best out of the car if you are constantly worrying about speed limits and where you are going!!

I am off to Abbey tomorrow for a boost controller, set up and dyno run so well looking forward to it and what the car can produce. Not a million miles away from what uncle Pete is running so anything close to the big 5 would be fantastic as it feels bloody quick on the road anyway.

Keep you posted.
Smootster

1 - 20 of 24 Posts