GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I joined this forum quite some time ago after taking a mates 2016 Stage 4.25 out for the day, as I was instantly sold.

The time has come where I can afford one.

My ONLY concern is it getting stolen off my driveway. Anything thats keyless entry seems to get stolen from my area, Range Rovers, Mercs and Audi's so far.

I read about the Ghost 2, which got me excited, but I spoke to an AA bloke last week when my van broke down and he said, in Bristol the thieves pick them up! Literally pick them up off the floor and load them on to a truck if they want them!

WTF?

So, now I am nervous again about parting with the best part of £50k.

The only thing I can think of is bolting a large post in front of the car on my drive, but I doubt it will stop them lifting it over that or just using a pocket angle grinder.

Any advice guys?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Ram post is useful but I've seen them overcome by having some sort of liquid poured onto the concrete around the post and the concrete/ground just ended up like a Mr Slushy, ram post duly pulled out. Still of use though. Guy up the road had his Range Rover stolen in under 40 secs - he posted a video of it, thief basically was able to get in (bypass locking etc) and then pulled the drivers visor down so you couldn't see his face. 2 seconds later car starts up, he backs out and gone. Car was spotted less than a mile away being "worked on" which I assume was them trying to remove the Tracker. Car was never recovered. The owner had a ram post......

Consider getting a Ghost 2 and some "manual" security device.

Don't forget every time you drive it and park it somewhere not at home (so without ram post, home security etc) its at risk. I get laughed at by some drivers as I use a Disklok plus all the usual security items. Makes it harder for the opportune thief, but at the end of the day, if someone wants to steal your car, and they know what they are doing and are determined enough, its going to be taken.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't forget every time you drive it and park it somewhere not at home (so without ram post, home security etc) its at risk. I get laughed at by some drivers as I use a Disklok plus all the usual security items. Makes it harder for the opportune thief, but at the end of the day, if someone wants to steal your car, and they know what they are doing and are determined enough, its going to be taken.
Yeah I know, but I don't want to accept that.

My garage is big enough for a small car like an RX7, but not a GTR, so my only option is driveway.

My house is camera'd up but we all know they don't give a toss about that.

I was thinking of adding several trackers to it, so if they find the first one they will think thats it.

Ram post as well as a steering lock and Ghost 2.

Is there anything to stop them lifting it I can install?

I have a van as well, so doubt I would leave the GTR anywhere else at night other than my driveway.

Cheers for your help

·
Premium Member
6,064 Posts
Buy it, insure it, get GAP insurance if you need it and then don’t worry about it Just enjoy it. If it goes it goes, better If they can take it without going into the house anyway.

·
Super Moderator
15,847 Posts
I had a tracker where I could kill the car from my phone, might be another option.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Do as much as you can within reason. For a tracker, post on your driveway etc.
The rest is up to god, luck or whatever else you believe in but don’t lose sleep over it once you’ve taken all reasonable steps in your control.
Enjoy the car and the experience, if it gets stolen then insurance will cover that as long as you and your family are safe it doesn’t matter.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Just get CCTV for the Insurance claim, it seems any car parted outside on an accessible road has a chance of theft, having said that the area you live in makes a huge difference. sadly.

·
Registered
328 Posts
GAP INSURANCE is a must in my opinion.

Get a ghost on it and a bollard for the driveway. CCTV might be a nice deterrent.

If they want it, they’ll take it no matter what you do. GAP insurance is key to getting all your money back IF it got stolen.

·
Registered
626 Posts
GAP INSURANCE is a must in my opinion.

Get a ghost on it and a bollard for the driveway. CCTV might be a nice deterrent.

If they want it, they’ll take it no matter what you do. GAP insurance is key to getting all your money back IF it got stolen.
Yes GAP is essential IMO, I use ALA very good prices.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Park it at an awkward angle to get out fast, block it in with another car, loud exhaust etc you have to make it less desirable to pinch than someone else's. They will take the easiest of option. If you make it awkward and difficult with gates etc it's all you can do. You can fit some anti theft options but you want to put them off from attempting to steel it in the first place. Get a good spot light, neighbors cctv overlooking your drive etc anything to make them think twice.

Over time you'll get less worried about it. You can't let other people and worrys stop how you want to live your life. There will be plenty of other cars on the street that are easier to steel and hide. Makes no difference if you have a gtr on the drive or a merc

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
I read about the Ghost 2, which got me excited, but I spoke to an AA bloke last week when my van broke down and he said, in Bristol the thieves pick them up! Literally pick them up off the floor and load them on to a truck if they want them!
Lifting cars away is not a new idea. I remember in the good old days, Cosworth’s were being regularly lifted away because they had state of the art (at the time) Vector immobilisers fitted. A Ford dealer near me had 5 cars taken in one night including a highly modified RS500, they were never seen again.
As has been said, if they want it enough, they’ll take it. Sadly, car crime is still low on Police priorities and the courts give pathetic sentences too.:(

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
Best advice is don't buy one if your that paranoid, no device is 100% bullet proof they all help secure the car in different ways. Your welcome to give me a call 07973733441 and I can advise you on different options.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I agrree with most on here and we probably all had similar thoughts. Think about it you have to fill up with petrol, you have to drive from your house, etc, etc all opportunities to be taken. Just got to try to make it hard to take yours and thats it.

You could have a Tiger sleeping in the car and Mike Tyson as your passenger if they want it, really want it they would take it but they would probably try elsewhere first ;-). People have bats, dogs and even heard of people taking up outdoor firing sports so they can legitimately carry some kind of arms but how far do you go?

1) Get Tracker
2) Get a visual manual antitheft device
3) get an immobilise
4) Park of road (garage and post even better)
5) Have gap insurance (mods wont count too much I dont think)?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts